Expat wine group?

PhilipDT

Registered
I searched but didn't find anything on this.

Would anybody be interested in forming a wine group to get together to drink and discuss fine wines?

We could meet either once or twice a month. Each time a different person would host. The host would be responsible for providing a venue, stemware and some light hors d'oeuvres. Each person brings a bottle of wine and we pop, pour and party.

If this works out we could do varietaly themed nights or appellation themed nights.

Great idea!

Some years ago I participated in wine parties where every person or couple brought two bottles of the same wine within an agreed budget. We blind tasted the first bottle of each wine and rated; the person that brought the highest rated wine was the proud winner of every second bottle.

Please count me and my wife in.

Staszek

I don't know a lot about wine, but I'd love to join this group to learn more!

Lauren

lpbuck09 said:
I don't know a lot about wine, but I'd love to join this group to learn more!

Lauren

Lauren

You would of course be more than welcome to join the group but the idea of the group, assuming that this gets off the ground, would be more geared towards experienced drunks and novice wine drinkers might not get the same enjoyment which would justify the price of the wines.

But if you're not worried about that you can just plunge into the good stuff, that's also a great way to develop your palette

We´ve only ever done this sort fo thing ere with friends but were used to such gatherings in Ireland. We´d be happy to host the first event. I´ll PM the OP and see if we cant agree a date and time for the inaugural session!

Also count me and my girlfriend in for the wine tastings. We have done very similar events in the US whereby one has a budget, everyone brings a bottle, and then we rate the wines. AWESOME AWESOME idea and we've always had a great time doing it.

I live in Palermo Hollywood and I too have a great place to host events such as these if needed (as long as there are 20 people or less).

PM me when something gets more organized please.
Jarrod

We would also be interested in joining you all for some wine tastings. Let us know when & where!

I'm guessing I'd be on the younger and less experienced side of the spectrum here, but I really would love to learn about great wine. If you don't mind having a novice around, I'll do my best to keep up!

Sounds like fun if we could make them family-friendly. I have a very toddler with a very discerning nose (don't worry, she is well-behaved and has been to wineries in four countries!) who would like to accompany my husband and me.

Some industry friends and I used to do this in California as well, and it's great when the tastings can be done blind (double-blind if possible) with a theme. Even better if we can be a little bit geeky and take and compare tasting notes!

lpbuck09 - the best way to learn about wine is to taste lots of it, and all "experts" had to start somewhere, all that's needed is the desire to learn and an open mind.

I am only in town for another 6 weeks or so but would love to participate and have a spacious place that could host a gathering. What's the proposed schedule?

Back