Falklands In Light Of Crimea Rhetoric

In Napoleon's defence, he's not preaching ayn randism.

It's definitely brutal of the IMF to mandate cuts in energy subsidies in Ukraine. There the subsidies go mainly to poorer families so they can heat their homes and they account for 8% of the country's economy, so as per usual the IMF is producing a depression in a country that's already in recession, all whilst making sure the poorest sections of society are the ones that suffer the most.

On the other hand, Argentina is in the exact opposite situation. Most of the energy subsidies here go to big businesses. For example, just take a stroll down Cabildo on any hot day and you will see hundreds of giant stores with their air conditioners on full blast and their doors wide open (or in the case of Rodo, no doors at all). As Napoleon points out, these companies need to quit mooching off the nanny state by getting subsidised energy. Meanwhile, those who most need the subsidies to survive should continue to receive them.

Two entirely different cases.

... On the other hand, Argentina is in the exact opposite situation. Most of the energy subsidies here go to big businesses. For example, just take a stroll down Cabildo on any hot day and you will see hundreds of giant stores with their air conditioners on full blast and their doors wide open (or in the case of Rodo, no doors at all). As Napoleon points out, these companies need to quit mooching off the nanny state by getting subsidised energy. Meanwhile, those who most need the subsidies to survive should continue to receive them. ...
From my point of view the subsidies should be replaced by a 3 (or perhaps 4) tier system.

1. Below x units cost very little per unit
2. x to y units cost the net price of a unit
3. y to z units cost the net price per unit + n percent (to pay for tier 1)

Read between the lines, if the businesses toe the line (*cough cough clientelismo) they keep their subsidios, herself put it in black and white this week in startling unsubtle terms. Once they price against government policy, threat of subsidios whipped from under then.

Institutionalised bribery. Even crazier still is the idea that the province and sante fe were paying double more or less the ba energy prices. Nuts. Energy is by far and away the biggest state spend, need to impose stricter personal and business criteria to receive them. In my building, in winter I have to crack open the window as the heating is daft. Same in most houses i go to, businesses are wasteful, but yes,la gente aren't motivated to be efficient either. Right now these state sponsored treats are not distributed based on need unfortunately. Less money on this gross over spend and perhaps we could pay state teachers more than the pittance (5k!) they get. Ffs our own stranded ne'er do well makes more than that.

Still, am well into our second bottle of very decent wine so,...more booze less chirp.

Washington's Man Yatsenyuk Setting Ukraine Up For Ruin
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2014/02/27/washingtons-man-yatsenyuk-setting-ukraine-up-for-ruin/

“Yatsenyuk is the the kind of technocrat you want if you want austerity, with the veneer of professionalism,” Signorelli said. “He’s the type of guy who can hobnob with the European elite. A Mario Monti type: unelected and willing to do the IMFs bidding,” he said.

Ukraine Crisis - What You're Not Being Told
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWkfpGCAAuw

From my point of view the subsidies should be replaced by a 3 (or perhaps 4) tier system.

1. Below x units cost very little per unit
2. x to y units cost the net price of a unit
3. y to z units cost the net price per unit + n percent (to pay for tier 1)

This is a very sensible suggestion, one which considers the poor, who consume very little, while giving businesses an incentive to conserve. An excellent compromise. What I objected to was the sweeping generalization, and the lack of any thought for the very poorest members of society.

I apologise for speaking so harshly to Napoleon.

Back