Falklands Referendum

You are mistaken. Gaucho Rivero and a bunch of other Vernet workers murdered 5 of the leaders of Vernet's settlement 8 months after British rule had been reinstated. (this is the population that were supposed to have been expelled....)

They did this because Vernet was paying them in special "Vernet money" that could only be used in his "Vernet shop".

They took the 5 perpetrators to the UK for trial but they couldn't be put to trial in the UK as under UK law colonies had their own governments and judicial systems, which were not yet in place on the Falklands. I think they ended up sending them to Rio.

i dont know really, but if it was so simple why Argentina claims in the anticolonization comitee at the UN?
I think at the moment the british colonized it was argentine territory, again, what do an island from thousand miles away has to do in the middle of the south atlantic ocean? if you look at the map they belong to argentina!!! thats good sense.

I will tattoo Cristina's name on my left butt cheek (in big letters) if the Argentinians ever willingly return that land.

What I meant, is that there is no problem there, no conflict, since there are no people claiming that territory. Is like the territory the US took from mexico, or the one that Brazil took from paraguay in the same war.

Matiasba, the repeated element in your posts is something that always starts like this: ''I am not vegetarian, but'' and it ends like ''I never ever eat meat''.

While starting to read I pretty much always expect a nuanced reply to some point made by the yanks here, but in the end you are just repeating the same propaganda nonsense as the KK people do.

I do not care whether Argentina used to possess the Falklands or not 200 years ago, the people who live there now have nothing to do with Argentina and their will should be respected.

i dont know really, but if it was so simple why Argentina claims in the anticolonization comitee at the UN?

very good question, probably because its a fringe committee that the UK and USA don't even bother with.

If you read the remit of the committee its basically to provide the citizens of the "colonised" territory with the means to declare independence or some other form of self governance. Which all the British overseas territories have now.

I think at the moment the british colonized it was argentine territory, again, what do an island from thousand miles away has to do in the middle of the south atlantic ocean? if you look at the map they belong to argentina!!! thats good sense.

No that is nonsense. look at this map, surely Tierra del Fuego should belong to Chile why is there a Triangle there at the bottom belonging to Argentina?

300px-Tierra_del_Fuego_location_map.svg.png

if you look at the map it belongs to Chile !!! that's good sense. :rolleyes:

If that were the case, Matías, all the Argentines descended from Spanish, Italian and other implanted peoples should be shipped back to their homelands, and the Mapuche, Toba and other dispossessed peoples should take charge of their territories. Many if not most Falkland Islanders - they are indeed a people - have a longer history in their territory than most Argentines.

I missunderstood what you said.
Youre probably right. These lands belong to indians, as well as Australia, the US, etc..
But during the XVIIIth and XIXth century a world map was concieved, and countries recognised governments each other. So, sadly, a lot of indians were killed along the world, but new countries were born. I think what you say can be understand with this.

I do not care whether Argentina used to possess the Falklands or not 200 years ago, the people who live there now have nothing to do with Argentina and their will should be respected.

but this can be fascist. I invade you, implant population and then say this.

I missunderstood what you said.
Youre probably right. These lands belong to indians, as well as Australia, the US, etc..
But during the XVIIIth and XIXth century a world map was concieved, and countries recognised governments each other. So, sadly, a lot of indians were killed along the world, but new countries were born. I think what you say can be understand with this.

Like when the UK recognised Argentine independence
Unitedprovincescirca1820.jpeg

Do you want to go back to these maps? Your missing large parts of Patagonia but at least you get large parts of Boliva, the whole of Paraguay and Uruguay, and a small part of Brazil.

What I said, is that countries were born as we know it today, the modern state, that didnt even exist in the Uk or Italy. In the peripheria the limits werent that clear, and there was a lot of virgin territory, or occupied by the indians, but as the new states have the guns, thats why they were known as desierto or they could fight for it with another country, because they know, always, they could control the indians.

Back