fastest internet in argentina

I have fibertel which is ok, only had 2 outages in last 6 months, one for a few hours, one for 23 hours.. however speed is not reliable, and never anywhere near what they advertise when accessing international content/websites etc, so dont expect too much.

If you are accessing a local server/website it can be pretty quick, but once you start accessing the outside world, speeds can drop back to dialup depending on what you are accessing and time of day, due to all traffic going via brazil, and the way it is routed.

If you are not already here, think about bring extra hardware with you, as if anything breaks (modem/routers) it can take weeks to get a replacement, and sometimes they dont have what you want. I dont know if it is still the case but a few months back there were no wifi modem/routers available from the ISP's due to import restrictions. If you require wifi bring a router as all bar 1 of the apartments i have rented didnt have wifi, and the one that did i couldnt get it to work with my laptop.

PhilipDT said:
I would get the fibertel evolution 30megs AND the 15mega arnet plan because your problem here is not just the speed (which is a problem) but the fact that with alarming regularity, the service just cuts out and becomes unavailable. The common solution for people who NEED to have internet for work is to have two services.

Exactly. That's what I did in my flat and also the office. I think one of my offices actually had 3 different companies. Fibertel I found was the best but it did go out quite a bit in Recoleta.

I am staying at the Four Seasons Hotel in Buenos Aires and have their premium internet service included in my room rate, but alone the cost is 176 pesos per day. For this amount I can get 1.25 Mbps down and 1.25 Mbps up. One morning at 5 am I checked the speed and it was 18 Mbps down and 19 Mbps up, but it only lasted a few minutes. I am on vacation from the US, traveling on AirCanada. The Lounge in Toronto had download speeds of 88 Mbps and up of 85 Mbps. What a drop off in Buenos Aires.

My T-Mobile USA phone plan gives me free data in Argentina and most other countries, and the up and down speeds are faster than in the hotel. I use Claro for cellular with the T-Mobile SIM. I complained to the hotel, but I doubt that anything can be down. They said they had 4 up and down, but this doesn't appear to be the case. I was able to upload a 1gb 1080p video to YouTube in a few hours, but download is too slow to play the video from YouTube at 720p.

Fibertel has the fiber optic cable monopoly in Argentina. Not really any competition.

Bit off the subject. Have found using the 5 ghz wifi bands improves internet performance quite noticeably in the building I live in. Also, sprung for a new slingbox 500 and the picture quality in Argentina (Fibertel) is jaw dropping. Am amazed. High wow factor. Slingplayer through apple tv: airplay.

"absolute highest speed internet connection" is pretty relative, what kind of speeds are you talking about?
10 Mb, 100Mb, 1Gb? symmetrical? is latency and issue?
There are companies that offer fiber downtown, not sure about caniitas or eslewhere and they expect an 18 month contract.

try:
metrotel.com.ar
iplan.com.ar

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! I have been looking for this information!

I have traveled from Buenos Aires to Mendoza. My miserable 1 down, 1 up speeds at the Four Seasons are no longer to be tolerated. I am at the Park Hyatt in Mendoza and the free(!) internet is 14Mbps down, 13Mbps up. What does Mendoza have that Buenos Aires does not have? Any way to make Netflix think that it is in the US? VPN?

I have traveled from Buenos Aires to Mendoza. My miserable 1 down, 1 up speeds at the Four Seasons are no longer to be tolerated. I am at the Park Hyatt in Mendoza and the free(!) internet is 14Mbps down, 13Mbps up. What does Mendoza have that Buenos Aires does not have? Any way to make Netflix think that it is in the US? VPN?

Fibertel has 30mbps service. We just switched to it last week and its been great for streaming. We also have Arnet (DSL from Telecom) at 6mbps, thought they offer up to 15mbps at some locations.

If you want a quick way to get US Netflix on the go, you can install this free plug in MediaHint https://mediahint.com on your Chrome or Firefox browser.

Another alternative (paid) is Unblock-Us http://www.unblock-us.com which can be easily setup on your router for whole home network access, on your laptop, or even an appliance (like an AppleTV) without a VPN. We've been using this for our AppleTV to get Netflix, PBS, Hulu and other US locked content on it. They have a free 7 day trial, and then it's US $4.95 after that.

Fibertel has 30mbps service. We just switched to it last week and its been great for streaming. We also have Arnet (DSL from Telecom) at 6mbps, thought they offer up to 15mbps at some locations.

If you want a quick way to get US Netflix on the go, you can install this free plug in MediaHint https://mediahint.com on your Chrome or Firefox browser.

Another alternative (paid) is Unblock-Us http://www.unblock-us.com which can be easily setup on your router for whole home network access, on your laptop, or even an appliance (like an AppleTV) without a VPN. We've been using this for our AppleTV to get Netflix, PBS, Hulu and other US locked content on it. They have a free 7 day trial, and then it's US $4.95 after that.

I've been enjoying https://adfreetime.com/region-unlock/ for streaming bbc and the likes. They also do yank tv. I've said before as it is a DNS change to be 100% safe only use it on devices you aren't transferring important information on... i.e. banking etc

Hi All -

I work in a job where it's incredibly important for me to have the absolute highest speed internet connection possible Can anyone shed light on what that might be down here? I'll be living in Canitas, and am happy to pay a significant amount because it will be expensed. I just need to know what the fastest connection I can plug my desk-top into will be.

Thanks.
http://buenosaires.es.craigslist.org/search/m4w?query=+ here you go, see if they will talk to you.

Back