fav bar / nightclub

austgirl

Registered
hi everyone, just wondering if youve got any recommendations for cool bars / nightclubs... ive heard all about club america.. not sure im up for getting groped in a blackened out room ! YUCK

anything else? we want to go where there is some eye candy, nice atmosphere, but not over the top like faena...and over 30...

thankyou!!!

austgirl said:
has anyone tried sugar bar in palermo???

I may or may not have gone there on Sunday night with my two amigas after Capt Dave's delicioso hamburger cookout. They are usually closed Sundays and Mondays, but since Monday was a holiday, they were open.

Sugar's #1 calling card is that it has the best music in Buenos Aires. At least if you like stuff in English.

(There's a possibility that the cat's out of the bag that I don't like Reggaeton/Cumbia... I don't know what the difference is between the two, but I really don't care.)

#2 is that it is extremely inexpensive for the neighborhood.

#3 is that there's a possibility that some art student who is studying painting might come up to you after you've done a semi-performance art dance piece to "Common People" and try to bond with you because you are still sporting your black nailpolish from having gone to a "Goth Night" party->then boliche with some college students the night before that might be just over half your age. This possibility, thank goodness, does exist. :D And you might consider taking advantage of it.

A drawback (for you) might be that often there is a substantial presence of study abroad students spending a semester of college (or "uni" as you kids like to say) in Buenos Aires.

But that doesn't keep people throughout their 20s up to dipping into their 40s from coming in for a cheap pint (only Quilmes on draught, but other beers behind the bar), good tunes, and perhaps a random snog. (That's British, but you might use it as well.) Sometimes I refer to Sugar as "CHEERS"... but none of the girls behind the bar look anything like Carla.

They offer a little bit of food and I think they offer brunch on Saturdays, but that might only be when the weather is warmer and they have patio business. (From ~October through March-ish they are open for Sunday brunch as well.)

Happy Hour is 8pm-12am (20.00-0.00) and they are open until 4am Tuesday -Thursday and until 6am on Friday and Saturday. Oh, "Happy Hour" means AR$5 pints (500cl) of Quilmes and AR$5 well drinks (Gin & Tonics on Sunday because I was channelling my inner Brit poser still from the Goth stuff the night before.)

If you get there "early", before midnight, there shouldn't be a line and I don't think that you have to pay a cover to get in (which is converted 100% into bar credit) until after midnight. (This practice may be flexible for regulars... officially: no se por seguro. :cool: )

If you get there from 8pm-9:30pm, you might wonder if there will only be 5 people there that night. You will be wrong.

If you have any other questions...

Clubs tend to be young here as I'm sure you know. Out of any, I like Jet.

For bars - Belushi & Congo are fun on Thurs & it tends to be a slightly older crowd. Mute has started making Wed a big night with music & drinks. Rumi on Tues is a *very* diverse crowd but tends to be lots of fun. Asia de Cuba is always crowded but can be pretty young.

El Klan turns into a bar after midnight but not easy to get reservations there - super fun on Thurs nights.

citygirl said:
Rumi on Tues is a *very* diverse crowd but tends to be lots of fun.

I thought Rumi's "best" night was on Wednesday night. (I've never been that night.) Someone told me ~a year a half ago that Wed & Thurs, but especially Wednesday nights are the best for thus of us a little out of high school.

(Unfortunately I did end up at a Rumi on a Saturday night because it was the last night in BsAs for a German kid that lived with a family I lived with for a bit two years ago. He was 17, his buddies were 16 & 17, I was being nice and not leaving, but I wanted to leave almost as soon as I got there.)

In Palermo Hollywood, Carnal & Tiki Bar (something like that) are next door to each other and have cool rooftop decks. Don't know if they have heaters up there for the winter or what they do, but they are on Niceto Vega right before Humboldt (just north of Humboldt).

And then right around the corner on Humboldt is a casual London style Curry House/Pub named Bangalore. They have a pretty good happy hour (~7pm-10pm I think) that offers 2 drinks for a little more than the price of one. And they have decent "artesenal" beers on tap. And their curries are pretty good as well. It's definitely not a scene. It's definitely a casual pub where you go with people and talk with your own people rather than meet other people. There's not a ton of interaction there. At least inside.

Rumi on Tues is not a "cool" night but it's a pretty mixed crowd (gay/straight) and the music tends to be fun so if you just feel like dancing and laughing a lot and not feeling like you have to impress, it's fun.

Good point on Carnal - love it. And Club 69 is supposed to be lots of fun as well - shades of Studio 54 but haven't been there myself so I can't comment.

Oh & I do like Millon as well.

I need a bar that play LCD Soundsystem. Its a silly thing but when I hear them in a bar it makes me happy. Where or where in BA can I find some LCD.

i love your bar reviews. personally i enjoy amerika and other note worthy gay clubs because that si where you here "the" best dance music for some reason. maybe napolean is still a fence sitter, but i am obviously not and want to enjoy the night to the fullest. this requires numerous bounes in the night depending on the hour. many nights i frequent 4 or more "hotspots" unless soemthing catches my "eye".

unfortunately my dear naploean and i do not agree on this sugar bar. if your into the trekker body odor and cheap beer drinking scene or up for some low quality party favors on the upper deck than it is for you. not me i say! i want the buzz and the vibe and only the club scene provides for that. kim and novaaks is great early on spot for some casual bumps and then off to the fair i say.

austgirl the best advice is to meet up with the right mix I party mix ) and venture out to private residences for a real party. holy judy garland i went to a private party at an estancia in pilar that rivaled any i had been too in the hollywood hills. what a terrifc place this buenos aires!

last notey: best to not rely too much on other psoters opines and go lookey for yourself. it is out there and fabulous!

suerte

fhreddei

Freddy said:
i love your bar reviews. personally i enjoy amerika and other note worthy gay clubs because that si where you here "the" best dance music for some reason. maybe napolean is still a fence sitter, but i am obviously not and want to enjoy the night to the fullest.

Is a "fence sitter" the same as being "undecided"? :confused:

I've made my decision and I prefer chicas, but I've worked at a museum and I've lived in LA, so "mixed" doesn't bother me at all. As long as it truly is "mixed".

I went to a birthday party for an amigo of an amiga at the side club to Crobar. It was a Friday night, but we were on the guest list, so there was no cover. Bueno.

I had a cute little amiga mia in tow who happened to be wearing boots up to her knees, MID-knees... yum. They were even semi-winged at the top like she was an animated super hero or something. She knew that I like those boots from another time that she wore them and I think she wore them just for me. (I loved her for that.)

So the outside area was open and it was pretty darn gay, pero bueno. Then I found out that Friday is gay night there (not "mixed"), but we would be in the VIP section, so I probably wouldn't need that second stick of Blistex that I had left at home. Bueno.

The place filled up with dudes. LOTS of dudes, but most seemed like typical Argie guys (only slightly cleaner) and hardly any fems among them. To me it looked like a straight club that was seriously lacking in female representation.

I went to the bathroom and didn't even have to hookup to get a stall. And the floor wasn't even sticky yet. Todo bien. Back in the VIP section my Ecuadorean amigo lamented that the music was really good, but that there were no girls. I explained that the music was good, because gays like good music. He silently counted the days until his French girlfriend was moving back to Argentina. (~17 at that point.)

Once they opened up the VIP section and swaths of over-cologned, lecherous manhunters filled up the place, it was time to go. If I'm going to have to squeeze through people to get another drink, I prefer to do it against chicas who themselves have squeezed their curves into stretch jeans & itty-bitty tops. Not extras from the first season of "Queer as Folk".

Freddy said:
unfortunately my dear naploean and i do not agree on this sugar bar. if your into the trekker body odor and cheap beer drinking scene or up for some low quality party favors on the upper deck than it is for you. not me i say! i want the buzz and the vibe and only the club scene provides for that. kim and novaaks is great early on spot for some casual bumps and then off to the fair i say.

I love that we're already on a "my dear" basis. I feel pretty.

I simply said that Sugar has the best music in town and cheapest drinks in the neighborhood. It falls under the "dive" category much more than Kim y Novak... which I didn't think "got going" until 2:30am, but I've heard definitely has a "mixed" crowd. And as for the "casual bumps", I'm just a drinker. And a fairly responsible one at that.

Freddy said:
austgirl the best advice is to meet up with the right mix I party mix ) and venture out to private residences for a real party. holy judy garland i went to a private party at an estancia in pilar that rivaled any i had been too in the hollywood hills. what a terrifc place this buenos aires!

TRANSLATION: The best advice is to know filthy rich people and go to their parties.

NAPOLEON'S RESPONSE: I agree. (Was there ever even a question?)

N's Response Part II: I don't know if I've ever said "Holy Judy Garland" before. Not just in "mixed" company, but PERIOD!

Freddy said:
last notey: best to not rely too much on other psoters opines and go lookey for yourself. it is out there and fabulous!

I agree with this notey. It is best to lookey for yourself. And although I rarely use the word "fabulous", in case you would like to here, the Spanish translation is "fabuloso".

I have been to many, many boliches ONCE. (The english word for "one time", not the Spanish word for "eleven" or porteño for "the garment district".) In fact, this past Friday I even ventured to a "goth club" and took these pictures of some of the attendees.

4299_83504153188_768063188_1806269_1305409_n.jpg

4679_105591207537_567077537_2771791_1332751_n.jpg

These pictures were not taken at Carnal, or Bangalore, or Sugar, or Milíon, or Rumi, or... but at "REQUIEM"... oooohhhh... AR$15 to get in and that includes a drink. And if you like "goth music", which can be described as '80s club electronica with prominent synthesizers and semi-droning voices like Joy Division, Depeche Mode, and the like, then you'll LOVE this "goth music". (I'd heard this music before back in the '80s, but back then we called it "music".)

I venture out. I'm here to help. I'm an International Problem Solver just trying to make the transition to this world a little easier.

Nappy

Back