Favorite Restaurants in Buenos Aires

I'm 100% in. I'm not rich but there is almost nothing in this world that I'd rather spend money on than food.

PhilipDT said:
I'm 100% in. I'm not rich but there is almost nothing in this world that I'd rather spend money on than food.

I'm not rich neither but I prefer to spend 200/280 pesos in a dinner I'll remember than two times 140 pesos in an ordinary dinner !

I'll contact Le Sud and see what can be done. Likely giving them the choice of the night, but with a super discount (or really a fantastic culinary experience) and considering this could attract other clients in the future = that should work !

Or if you could get them offer a reasonably priced descorche we could drink good wine with out breaking the bank. I've had mixed luck with asking for it in places that don't list it on their Guia Oleo page. Never hurts to ask. Either way post up the information when you hear from them and I'll definitely be there.

Once you get burned out on the parillas check out Cafe San Juan in San Telmo. It was an incredible meal and great value for the quality of the food.

If you go you have to get the rabbit pate.

Crizia is also one of my favorites. So, I'll second that! :)

I loved Astrid and Gascon. I only went once. It was very expensive for me. So much to my dismay I haven't gone back. My husband went to Chila and he also agreed it was over priced for what is was.

Other than that I have to admit I haven't been eating out to much lately. Oh, there is one restaurant that I really like. It's a small, quaint place that I have lunch at some times. It's called A Nos Amours, on the corner of Araoz and Gorriti. You will eat well but it's not even close to your friends top prices range.

I like PlanetaJoy for restaurant recommendations. They have fun articles like "best outside terrace", "best lunch with the girls", "best exotic drinks", etc. Personally I don't bother with GuiaOleo. I've been let down too many times with their "top recommended".

Let us know where you went and what you liked (and how much you paid!). I like to live vicariously. :)

ETA: Oh, I forgot Pura Tierra. I really like it. Didn't like the pate starter. So pick something else. lol. But it's so pretty I could live there.

French jurist said:
--> The "Boeuf bourguignonne" never has mustard in it, nor eggs or lemon !!! "Discreete fish" = ??. Very expensive for the quality & quantity = surely this moron has no idea about food & tastes. He might have gone there during the day to spend less.

oh no, not discreet fish. I prefer my fish sloppy, talkative, and tactless.

thanks for the clarification :-D

Thanks for the recommendations for Le Sud. I haven't eaten there for lack of a trustworthy personal recommendation and the fact that the dining room seems a little cold. And often empty. I'd love to join a crowd of expats there, especially if a deal can be arranged.

And I agree with you, French jurist, about Anciens Combattantes. I went only once and didn't get it.

I second the nominations for Crizia, a personal hangout of mine for a couple years now. My only slight negative is that the food was even better before the last working chef left about a year ago, leaving the kitchen to the chef-owner, who's not always around. Regarding the wine markups, they seem to be fairly consistent in peso value, rather than percentage, so the higher end of the list doesn't seem so overpriced. Bartender Juan is a gem, however, so I often have just a cocktail and maybe a single [ridiculously overpriced] glass of wine.

I don't agree with the proponents of La Bourgogne. Two dinners there were totally ordinary despite the prices. It seems to me the kind of "French" restaurant that fortunately disappeared from France about 30 years ago. Unless invited on someone's expense account, I'll leave it to the tourists staying at the hotel.

Nor do I agree with the naysayers about Chila. Their desgustacions have probably been the most interesting dinners I've had in this city. I agree that ordering 2 plates is not so exciting as the degustacion, which shows the range of the kitchen and is usually organized for great contrast. With wine pairings, the degustacion costs $590, which is about 1/4 the price of a dinner like this in any comparable restaurant outside Argentina. If Michelin covered Buenos Aires, Chila would be starred, possibly with 2 rosettes.

Someone mentioned Marcelo, in the Puerto, which is also a favorite of mine. It doesn't play in the same league as most of the places mentioned thus far in this thread, but the food is consistently delicious in a more familiar way. Huge, sharable portions and always top-quality produce. Prices are high for a BsAs Italian restaurant, but if 3 or 4 people share one Fritto Mixto de Mare and one Rigatoni gratinati con ragu, you'll probably still ask the waiter to package leftovers.

No one has mentioned the Casa Cruz, which I usually find the most satisfying kitchen in the city, although the service occasionally annoys me. The food at Tegui, the chef's downscale resto in P. Hollywood, can rise almost to the same level, and the place is generally more fun.

Although the menu could use an update, Thymus still satisfies, sometimes brilliantly.

If the Peruana-Asiático thing gets to you as it does to me at times, Osaka can be amazing. More traditional, the Pozo Santo is a gorgeous and comforting place to enjoy comida peruana moderna.

And a surprise recommendation - Prodeo, a newish "gastro lounge" on Gorritti between the San Martín tracks and Godoy Cruz, where a Dutch chef serves up delightful surprises on menus of 3 - 11 dishes. And the place is a hoot, with concrete tables inset with LEDs, odd-shaped booths, and even an indoor swimming pool!

About the Chef from the restaurant Le Sud, he's about two give four training sessions, you can check about it in FB (FB links can't be placed on the forum) by adding event.php?eid=118860261525726 after the slash following the dot com of FB adress

Tell me more about Prodeo. I went for brunch a while back and well.. was underwhelmed. They were just getting started though so I'm definitely willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

Tegui I'm quite fond of, I used to love Cluny but haven't been in a long time - anyone been recently? I don't think anyone has mentioned Sirop. Irifune I like (although I know you weren't looking for asian food). To (but only upstairs). Pozo Santo as well.

citygirl said:
Tell me more about Prodeo. I went for brunch a while back and well.. was underwhelmed. They were just getting started though so I'm definitely willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

Tegui I'm quite fond of, I used to love Cluny but haven't been in a long time - anyone been recently? I don't think anyone has mentioned Sirop. Irifune I like (although I know you weren't looking for asian food). To (but only upstairs). Pozo Santo as well.

I did go to Cluny last week. I like Cluny. We both had fish and it was not over cooked which I find is often the case and it was yummy. Sirop is on my list but haven't been yet.

Back