Favourite cities/Places to live

"bjrutledge" said:
Johny, hijacking and agreeing/disagreeing with you are two separate things. Your response does not make sense to me. It doesn't matter whether I agree or disagree with you.
Could you be more specific, please? Saying that a certain statement doesn't make sense sure isn't agreeing, don't you think?

"bjrutledge" said:
If you had made a response stating that you like red-factor canaries, I would agree with you, but I would still think that you were hijacking the post by turning it into a discussion of canaries
yes, but the fact of the matter is I didn't talk about red-factor canaries. I responded to another person's comment.

"bjrutledge" said:
Does anyone like Florida? I think Orlando is one of the most horrible cities I have ever visited --- it seems to symbolize everything I DISLIKE about the US! But there are some small towns in the Panhandle region that were appealing several years ago (although there are also military bases in some towns in that area, and their presence certainly changes the local culture).
The Military bases and conservatism in the panhandle is what makes it a better place to live. I like Orlando better than Miami but generally don't care to go to Florida at all.

"tanghetto" said:
too many people come here and tell us how to live in argentina. I see some people here tell us what rent to pay and where to eat etc etc etc.
This city was cheap once not any more with people from outside putting up price of rents and property .
I like argentina to be old fashion and not a state of the union
For Gods´sake, this is a country of inmigrants! I find it beautiful that we are receiving inmigrants from other places other than Bolivia, Paraguay and Peru. The mix of cultures and exsperiences will only make this country richer in terms of diversity. I also believe that expats have created new sources of income for locals opening up restaurants, lodgings, businesses, etc.

I believe prices have not gone up because of this, actually it is the eager porteños that especulate that expats come with dollars or euros and therefore increase rental prices, etc. And I deal with property owners every day. I must add that this situation created some kind of parallel market for locals and a different one for expats, which I find it very embarrasing and unfair. Whenever somebody tells me how much they are charged at a hotel... geez!!! There are different rates for locals and foreigners: I have never seen anything like this institucionalised in any country ( it does happen, but not officially! )

Also, I believe the economics here are so complex, that it would be too easy to just say that prices go high because of tourists! Look back in time, think of 1989 hiper inflation, past devaluations, etc etc, and then tell me who steals from this country...

In my experience most expats are way more honest than locals, also willing to pay taxes, etc etc because they come from countries where not paying taxes is considered a crime. I think we will all learn from each other. We just need time to let these new inmigrants adjust and see what the outcome is.

V

No i was just being silly. I would recommend Olivos, but not too close to Av Maipu which is like a racetrack. Nothing new there then as far as Argentine roads are concerned. Actually we are considering moving to Lomas De san Isidro area. Probably a barrio cerrado. Although Olivos is fine kids don't really play in the street especially not on bikes. Too much traffic.

"Marc" said:
No i was just being silly. I would recommend Olivos, but not too close to Av Maipu which is like a racetrack. Nothing new there then as far as Argentine roads are concerned. Actually we are considering moving to Lomas De san Isidro area. Probably a barrio cerrado. Although Olivos is fine kids don't really play in the street especially not on bikes. Too much traffic.
Being it that Maipu is the continuation of Cabildo ave. I bet the traffic is crazy most of the time! Now reagrding kids playing out in the street, I remember when I was a kid, except for certain neighbourhoods like Recoleta, the Downtown, etc, you would see lots of kids playing outside and you really don´t see it so much anymore. I grew up in Villa Crespo and I used to know al the kids playing out in the street, I guess parents don´t let them do it anymore because of the traffic, drugs, and those express kidnappings... it is a shame really, however, being a parent, I wouldn´t let my own kid play in the streets anymore. Maybe it is just another thing that we are losing here: young kids would rather go to a shopping mall, cybercafe to play network games, Mc Donalds, etc. (btw, have you noticed how shooping malls are a meeting point for people of all ages? I don´t remember seeing anything like that in the US for example ( where most shopping malls are just visited by tourists or by the general public when they shop for certain occasions like Xmas)V

Back