FBI Background... Apostilled?

sharkbait08

Registered
Hi everyone...

I am just wondering if it is necessary to get the FBI background check apostilled? I have everything else apostilled but I forgot to ask the FBI to certify by background check so the state department (where I sent it to get apostilled) sent it back and told me that I had to send it to the FBI again to get it certified and then the state department again. Which brings me to another question... how long is my FBI background check valid (according to migraciones here)? My original request was in Jan 2010. And it was processed in March 2010. In advance... many thanks!!!!

Alice

Before January, it was not required to get the FBI background check apostilled by migraciones as the FBI didn't automatically offer that service. They now do however. I don't know if migraciones is requiring the apostille now that the FBI will do it. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.

Your background is valid for 6 months if you haven't been back to the US during that time period.

I have to concur with @citygirl -
As far as I know you DO need to have the FBI background check apostilled and the 6 months answer is correct - again as long as you HAVE NOT been back to the US during that time. If you have been back in the US - you have to get a new FBI background check.

Thanks for the answers... I returned to the US in March so I guess I will have to get my FBI background check again anyway. Sigh. I sometimes think going to Uruguay forever more would just be easier.

Who do you send the background check to to get apostilled? And what is the turn around time? Also, is the 6 month time from from date of request or receipt? As it took FBI like 8 weeks to get it to me?

The FBI has to certify the report (you have to request this... it isn't automatic) and then it must be sent to the State Department. It cost $8 and takes about 20 days. You need to send a cover letter with name, number, address, and email. They send it back to you without the apostille if it is not previously certified by the FBI. Here is the address:

U.S. Department of State
Authentications Office
518 23rd Street NW.
SA-1
Washington, DC 20520

And check this website for all the specific details and requirements...

http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

also it seems it take 20 days for them to process it once it arrives but it says that the screen process for state department mail takes 2 to 3 weeks. It took them 2 months for them to send me back my documents with a note telling me that the FBI had to certify them first... I assume it takes 2 months no matter what the outcome is... however, you can go in person if you happen to be near Washington, DC

I believe that Argentina does indeed want the document apostillitized. The first time I requested an FBI background check I specifically asked for an official copy to be used in Argentina immigration and apostille. I waited 5 weeks for the FBI to return an un official copy printed on blue paper with a tiny unlegible symbol. A non official copy. I called them on the phone and was on hold for 25 minutes before someone helped me and they refused to resend the document as official document. I then had to fly back to the US to get fingerprinted and paid for it again. I had to repay for express mail both ways again, abt 35 dollars and had to repay for the this time official document. I asked that they expediate it because walkins can do it same day. They took 4 weeks to send it back. This time they did send an official copy. It is now at the U.S. Department of State, Office of Authentication for the Apostille. It has been 25 days and still no document. I believe the document is good for 3 months, any older and they may reject it. I also have an official copy of a report from my local police department. Good luck. contact me if you need to know more.

Also if you are living in Argentina then they require you to have a background check there. Also your documents have to be translated by a professional translator and record in some library official en Bs As. All before inmigracion accepts them.

So your FBI background check is invalidated by travelling to the US since its issuance, but what can you do if you are not yet in Argentina? Do you have to physically live in Argentina on a tourist visa during the many months it takes to get the FBI record?? That just seems very strange to me.

Also, if you cannot return to the US, how on earth do you get the thing apostilled? Is there any way to get a document apostilled while not physically in the US? It just seems contradictory. Thanks!!

Back