Feminist Groups?

PUBLIC APOLOGY
oh! sorry elpanada,
as you were bitching in the womens forum and gave advice in another thread about shopping I just assumed you were a girl! because you really come across as feminine. I can understand now how feminism bugs you so much.
regards sweetie

Sincerely sorry igor but could not resist this one

Regarding image and anorexia in Argentine society lets make some things clear and present the facts.
Argentina is not a country of anorexics in actual fact Argentina is the 13th fattest country on the earth . This may suprise many of you when you look around the streets of Recoleta and Palermo but these areas are not representative of the full society and if anyone has visited other areas you will see very big women and men who are not scared to venture the streets without public riducule.
Please take a look at the survey here which clearly states the facts of obesity in Argentinian society
Argentina is 13th out of 194 countries.
Regarding female rights in our society being attractive has never been a hindrance to achieving positions of power . Argentina has always had very high womens representation in Management and Politics.
The richest person in Argentina is a women Amelia Fourbat and many of the most well paid media stars are women . Not to mention that we are looking at having a female president in the near future .

Yeah telling someone where you saw a few jeans stores and voicing your opinion on feminism are really feminine things. Argentina is a really beautiful place in many ways and I would just hate to see it tainted by filth from abroad, that's all.

One feminist group I know http://www.lacasadelencuentro.com.ar/

I am still with Elpanada and I think another ecomonic crisis or 2 will do a lot more then a feminist from the USA.

Hello all, Thanks for your input! Thanks especially to those who offered constructive answers. I'm not here to preach anything. Nor do I plan on preaching anything in Argentina. It is not clear from this thread what definitions of feminism many of you have, but I encourage anyone with initiative to look into the term a bit further. A cursory definition might look a lot like the one auntieapple gave (thanks!), but there are infinite facets to the movement itself. I understand that feminism has come to be a somewhat universal bad word and is linked tightly to the U.S., where the movement is said to have originated. I also understand that anti-U.S. sentiment is high in most parts of the world, and rightly so. I assure you that I am not in any way related to George W. Bush, nor have I, to my knowledge, ever burned a bra. If you're interested in talking about this further, feel free to send me a note! Healthy debate is excellent for all parties involved.
eliza

Oh, and by the way, I don't identify as lesbian. I'm not sure where my sexuality comes into play, but both Elpanada and auntieapple seem to think I'm gay.

First of all Eliza, I did mot assume you are gay, My comment "get your dyke ass over he was a dig at our sexually discriminate friends here. (read post above......tut tut really sad) It was meant to be "tongue in cheek" if you will excuse the punn considering the theme ha ha.
Now, I am more than aware of the meaning of feminism,
The great pioneer figure of British feminism was the writer Mary Wollstonecraft. Her chief work, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792), is one of the major feminist documents of the 18th century. During the 1830s and 1840s British suffragism received notable aid and encouragement from the Chartists, who fought unsuccessfully for a sweeping programme of human rights.
My grt grt aunt Lady Howard was also a great feminist of her day. She was a great friend of Lady Emmeline Pankhurst and both were imprisioned for acts of violence and demonstration.
A famous incident is were they threw themselves on to the race course at Epson during the Derby of 1913, one of their collegues was killed as she threw herself under the King's horse. Great press!
Probably as a result of this tradegy, a bill was passed
in British parliment which gave women the right to vote.
Another great feminist was the American, Miss Margaret Fuller born in Boston around 1810 she lived her adult years in London frequenting other blue stockings of her day. She was the author of "Woman in the nineteenth century"
and was the first editor of Dial.
She hung out with all the greatest intellectuals in London and Wordsworth was a close friend.
She was considered plain, often wore trousers and took very little care in neither her attire or manners. Whereas my aunt Lady Howard and the others partook in the highest echelons of society and enjoyed the finities bestowed on them by men, Miss Fuller once said:
"so long as a lady deem herself in need of some gentlemen's arm to conduct her properly out of the dining room and into the ballroom, so long as she shall consider it dangerous or unbecoming to walk half a mile alone by night, I cannot see how the Woman's rights theory is ever to be more than a logically defensible abstraction"
Now reading about miss Fuller, one would conclude that she was gay, but she had many romantic liasons with many young European Beaus. She evntually married a handsome Italian, but sadly perished in a shipwreck with her husband and baby son.all of these ladies strove for one thing, the emancipation of women, they believed in the higher education of women and the need for pioneers among educated women to pursue successful careers and become role models for the next generation.

So now on to Anorexia for Pericles, As Argentina is proven to have the second highest rates for Anorexia nervosa after Japan who is number one on the list I think you are deluding yourself.
Last year your government due to the shame of the Anorexia statistics in Argentina passed a law in the fashion industry that shops had to provide bigger sizes to try to encourage Argentines to have a healthier body type.
If you want we can paste some articles but there is something wrong here with my font on this post so I will not risk losing the whole post as I did a few minutes ago

regards

The British womans-suffrage movement acquired additional impetus when in 1897 various feminist groups merged to form the National Union of Woman Suffrage Societies. A section of the membership soon decided that its policies were timid and indecisive, and in 1903 the dissident and more militant faction, led by the colourful feminist Emmeline Pankhurst, established the Women's Social and Political Union. Pankhurst's suffragettes soon won a reputation for boldness and militancy.

So now on to Anorexia for Pericles, As Argentina is proven to have the second highest rates for Anorexia nervosa after Japan who is number one on the list I think you are deluding yourself.
Last year your government due to the shame of the Anorexia statistics in Argentina passed a law in the fashion industry that shops had to provide bigger sizes to try to encourage Argentines to have a healthier body type.
If you want we can paste some articles but there is something wrong here with my font on this post so I will not risk losing the whole post as I did a few minutes ago.
I agree with you about anorexia and your figures are completely correct about Argentina being second to Japan But the paradox of that is that Argentina also has a lot of fat people and also a lot of very obese people and the figures from my link are correct.
Even with these shocking figures of anorexia in Argentinian society this is still the 13th fattest country on earth .

Back