Fibertel residential vs. corporate line

LostinBA

Registered
I work from home using the 6M residential line with a dynamic IP. Many of my clients are reporting that my emails go to their SPAM folders. I checked and yes, I've been blacklisted by SPAMCOP and a few others. My dynamic IP that never changes even if I unplug the modem all night and Fibertel says they can't do anything as it's against their policy.

I suppose a solution to this would be to pay more for a corporate line with a static (fixed) IP address. Can't think of any other solutions here...

Has anyone tried both? How do they compare? Does the corporate line provide a better line quality for VOIP, etc?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

LostinBA said:
I work from home using the 6M residential line with a dynamic IP. Many of my clients are reporting that my emails go to their SPAM folders. I checked and yes, I've been blacklisted by SPAMCOP and a few others. My dynamic IP that never changes even if I unplug the modem all night and Fibertel says they can't do anything as it's against their policy.

I suppose a solution to this would be to pay more for a corporate line with a static (fixed) IP address. Can't think of any other solutions here...

Has anyone tried both? How do they compare? Does the corporate line provide a better line quality for VOIP, etc?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
A short term solution might be to use a VPN which gives you a "Clean" IP

Greg2231 said:
A short term solution might be to use a VPN which gives you a "Clean" IP

That will change the outgoing ISP assigned originating IP address for Mac Mail? Sorry for my ignorance.

LostinBA said:
That will change the outgoing ISP assigned originating IP address for Mac Mail? Sorry for my ignorance.
It should, a VPN basically creates a private tunnel between your computer and another somewhere else, and all your traffic goes through that tunnel and comes out onto the internet at the the other end, making your traffic appear as though it was originating from then 2nd computers IP, this can be useful for a number of reasons such as fooling location specific services(Netflix, Hulu) into thinking you are in a country they serve, also there can be security benefits to using a VPN.

Do you mean you have a static IP with a e-mail server at your house ?
A dynamic IP address changes.

If this is the case there is no reason why fibatel cant change your IP address, its just a matter of assigning a new IP to your routers MAC address on their DHCP server.

Or do you connect to an email server off-site with a email client on your PC - eg: outlook or webmail ?
If that is the case you could get the hoster (i guess the company you work for) to do a header rewrite and delete all reference to your IP address so it looks as if the email originated on the server.

davonz said:
Do you mean you have a static IP with a e-mail server at your house ?
A dynamic IP address changes.

If this is the case there is no reason why fibatel cant change your IP address, its just a matter of assigning a new IP to your routers MAC address on their DHCP server.

Or do you connect to an email server off-site with a client on your PC - eg: outlook ?

What I have is just a simple 6MB internet line with a wifi modem which has a dynamic IP address (since it's a "residential" line). They say they will not change the IP manually under any circumstances even though I spoke to the supervisors...lot of calls and no dice. They said it will change automatically but hasn't done so in 8 months...

I'll call Godaddy and see if they'll wipe the originating IP address from the message headers. Thanks!

If not, it's the VPN or static IP I guess...

Filtering and blacklisting is usually done on the server you use to send emails (SMTP server) and not on the originating IP source (your IP). There are many ways to solve the problem you are having.

If you use your ISP's SMTP server to send email, and you own your own domain name for that email, one way is to setup up an SPF record for your domain. You can then add your ISP's mail server IP range to your domains SPF record so spam filters can identify the source server as valid. This will help prevent many spam filters from flagging your email as spam.

Another alternative is to use a different SMTP server to send emails, one that is not blacklisted. Your domain registrar may offer this service (e.g., GoDaddy), but you should always have at least SPF enabled on your domain as a minimum.

A DKIM record on your domain is another validation mechanism, but it must be configured on the mail server as well and you may or may not have that option.

A corporate line with Fibertel may not help, as they probably still use the same SMTP servers as their consumer services or the server might just as well be blacklisted.

Also, if you had successfully used a different SMTP server before moving to AR, you can try using that same server again. If Fibertel is blocking your port 25 for outgoing, ask your IT or SMTP service provider to open a non-standard port or to help you setup sending email via a their secure SMTP port.

Good luck!

Set up a free Google Apps account and move your business domain over there for email. Free accounts let you have up to 10 users with 10GB mailbox limits. I have about 20 different domains set up that way. http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html Free email, free spam filtering, works with smart phones, Outlook, etc.

Or, pay for an SMTP sending service like smtp.com.

Personally, I love the free Google Apps way. I'd be happy to help you set it up.

Back