Fibertel

scotttswan

Registered
So this months bill came in. $465 pesos for 12mb!
its gone from 180 pesos in feb last year to 296 in may, 324 in september, 405 in november to 465 this month!

Along with the terrible 2mb speeds i currently get for my 465 pesos i think i might have to just cancel my backup line, anyone have any luck with them giving promos when you complain?

I wish i could hookup to the fiber line that runs along outside my building.

I thought the same thing!

You can always go to one of their offices and get a discount, though. Just go in and threaten to switch to another provider. They'll give you a discount on the spot.

This is what I'll be doing after the New Year.

Frankly I'm fed up with Fibertel. Having streaming video buffering in 2014 is like having dial-up service.

I've gone to complain to them multiple times about the whopping 2 mb speed I get for the 10 I'm paying for. They always have 1000 excuses and try to explain that I'm actually getting 10mb. Sorry, that might work on my grandmother but not on me. I have multiple bandwidth speed tests - both for domestic and international servers - as well as I can see and choose the wifi channels that have the least amount of traffic.

Since we already have DirectTV for my wife's Brasilian Globo channel we have ordered 15mb internet from Arnet. I will give it a month trial and will let you know how it goes.

GS

It must be local infrastructure that's the problem. As my main provider, I've had Fibertel over the last 7 years, except when I had Arnet out in Garin for about 2 years (so Fibertel for about 5 years total - and Arnet was horrible out there!). I've had the Fibertel 10 mbps service for about 2-3 years now I reckon (don't really remember exactly when I got it).

I used to despise Fibertel but have tried Arnet (had it exclusively in Garin because it was the only provider, and once in Retiro) and Speedy (have only had here right at the border between Retiro and Recoleta) as backups and never got any better from them. In fact, I have Speedy as a backup now because that's what the owners of my current apartment used previously and I just continued paying for it so I'd have a backup. I let the girls use Speedy for their cell phones and other mobile devices so they don't screw up my bandwidth. Problem is, Speedy here in Recoleta is down about 20-30% of the time (guessing based on complaints from the girls, not actually noted). I cancelled Arrnet in Retiro because it really, really sucked, about 4 years ago.

I've had almost no downtime that I've noticed on Fibertel for at least couple of years but I've lived in Retiro/Recoleta for the last 5 years. Some years ago (maybe 3-4?) I had outages just about every day (usually in the afternoon) over a period of a month or two, which was probably when they were upgrading infrastructure.

I never expect to actually get 10 mbps, but right now doing a speed test (on Fibertel - Speedy is down :) ), I got 9.2 mbps down, 1.92 upload on local servers. Tried one in Austin, Tx and 7.5 down and 1.6 up (ping of 185 ms). Another in New York I got 8 down and and 1.8 up (ping of 163 ms).

I tend to have something playing all the time as I work and when it's NetFlix I almost never have any buffering going on except the usual buffering NetFlix does ahead of the current spot. I.e., I very, very rarely get interrupted and have to re-buffer.

As far as discounts and such, per the original question, I only have gotten credits on my bill when I called up and complained about specific incidents of downtime which never amounted to much. never really got put on a promo to make me happier, but then again I haven't had to complain for quite some time so not even sure how things are customer-service-wise any more.

Thanks for the link to the speed test! I got 8.16 for download and 1.40 for upload, I have Fibertel too.

I pay 500 for 30mb/s so 465 for 12 seems like not that great of a deal.

With the speed test you should change the server. The default is always your ISP ehich is why speed test usually shows surprisingly quick speeds. Also some ISPs prioritize routings to the speed test server.!

Found some unusual routes when having problems with Fibertel: ping from BA to USA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 17
Back