Fibertel

Today I moved apartments, just settling in as we speak, and here I also have Fibertel, however I just tried it and it is sloooow! Did the same test and download was 0.96 and upload 0.19... That is pretty bad! I will buy a cable tomorrow so I can plug directly into the modem but it is weird that is so much worse here, when it is the same company and I only moved five blocks.

You may need a new modem.....! as was in my case. A Fibertel tech guy came and measured the Speed OUT of the modem and it was Slow. He replaced the modem.

I have fibertel 30 mb. When I do the server test...it shows download speed as 29 mb but in reality it works superslow.

My 2nd connection of arnet provided by my building server...works superb without flaws 24/7.

Chiming in here for a fibertel moan :(

We're paying 600 ish for a 10 meg (I think?) connection. It was reasonable until maybe 3 months ago (~3 meg speeds, no dropouts), but it has been gradually disimproving since. Now it cuts several times a day (not sure about the speed, but I assume it's the same).

When it started to give trouble we upped our arnet (dsl) speed to (iirc) 6 megs - since then it's become our stable internet, and actually it's been really good, far better than I'd expected.

We'll probably be cutting fibertel altogether when we get home - jury's out on that one at the moment.

To those quoting >10mb/s speeds from speedtest.net - select a server *outside* argentina when doing the test, then you'll get your *real* speed (fibertel don't throttle the local servers, hence the high speeds reported)
Same story here, use Fibertel Corporate 12Mb plan for 4 years and it's dropping connection and super slow the last 3 months.
Fibertel replaced modem, seems better for a few days, then returned to poor service.
I use a VPN for work, so data is not that large but delay is incredibly slow. The Fibrtel service techs just want to add a filter and leave ASAP.
It is funny that the service seems to work great when they're here.

Anyone else have experience with the iplan? Is it available in all Cap Fed?
What lines carry the service?

Thanks,
Brandon

Did you contract Fibertel or is it a furnished apartment with internet contracted by owner? If so, perhaps they lied about what internet package they have on the rental agreement?
That is a good point, because she just said that it was the same plan that I had at the other place... It was working fine on my phone when I came to see the place so I didn't think to investigate further but I should have!

You may need a new modem.....! as was in my case. A Fibertel tech guy came and measured the Speed OUT of the modem and it was Slow. He replaced the modem.
Thanks for that, will look into it!!

Ceviche, make sure you do the speed test to a server outside of Argentina. As I understand things, there is basically one big trunk leading from BA (or is there only one for SA?) to the US, where the main entrance to the internet for Argentina outside of South America is. You may get what they advertise (or close to it, anyway) locally but see much worse internationally, which may be one reason you see poorer performance on everyday internet stuff.

It's one reason I didn't upgrade past the 10 MB plan - I've just assumed that with ping (time it takes for a signal to round-trip) and the bottleneck to the US I wouldn't get much more than that.

As far as iPlan goes - I went to the website and looked also. I didn't see any plans for individuals, all PYMEs and bigger businesses. In fact, about 4-5 years ago I was looking into buying and/or opening a locutorio. I dealt with iPlan at the time as a probable provider (they were much better priced than anyone else), but I looked at it from the standpoint of a business, not an individual. They also had somewhat limited service areas at the time (although a lot could have changed in 4-5 years) but I still wonder if individuals can get the service?

Any body could get iplan installed in their departament?

So this months bill came in. $465 pesos for 12mb!
its gone from 180 pesos in feb last year to 296 in may, 324 in september, 405 in november to 465 this month!

Along with the terrible 2mb speeds i currently get for my 465 pesos i think i might have to just cancel my backup line, anyone have any luck with them giving promos when you complain?

I wish i could hookup to the fiber line that runs along outside my building.

You could if you knew how!

Ceviche, make sure you do the speed test to a server outside of Argentina. As I understand things, there is basically one big trunk leading from BA (or is there only one for SA?) to the US, where the main entrance to the internet for Argentina outside of South America is. You may get what they advertise (or close to it, anyway) locally but see much worse internationally, which may be one reason you see poorer performance on everyday internet stuff.

Have you thought about what that means?

Back