Fine for overstaying the visa to be increased to 500$ soon

French jurist

Registered
I talked yesterday with a Customs agent and he told me the fine would be raised to 500 pesos quite soon.
I don't know when though but it's likely to be within two months I guess.

That's because on this site everyone boasts : “just pay the fine.” This site is the government economic model for tourism. Didn't you know that?

So how does this work, can you stay for 3 years and just pay a fixed fine on the way out?

Fuyi said:
So how does this work, can you stay for 3 years and just pay a fixed fine on the way out?

Three years ago the fine was $50 pesos. Now it's $300 and soon may be $500.

Three years from now the fine could be significantly higher. It might also be a far more "serious" offense than it is today. At some point the overstay might also include being prohibited from reentering the country for a period of months (instead of hours as it is now).

Recent changes in the law regarding visa overstays are just beginning to be implemented and it's impossible to know what will happen three months from now, let alone three years.

Napoleon said:
...and Cristina says that inflation is under 10% a year. :eek:

This is not really an example of inflation. I think it's just Argentina waking up to the fact that many foreigners have very little respect for the existing laws and that they are willing to pay the fines to stay here past the expiration of their tourist visa. Many of them are not willing (or able) to get a resident visa which would cost $600 pesos per year (plus the cost of getting all of the documents together) and include the hassles of dealing with migraciones (for the visa) and the registro (for the DNI).

It certainly isn't retaliation for the way Argentine citizens are treated for visa violations in other countries (especially the USA).

If it was there would be a huge number of expats awaiting deportation and/or banned from reentry.

Even with the increase, it will still be cheaper to overstay the visa and pay the fine once a year than apply for or renew temporary residency.

I wonder if anyone from migraciones is really monitoring this web site. If they are, I also wonder if they are capable of doing the math.

la vie est dure, mais vous avez à surmonter toutes les difficultés

Back