Flights Out

I'm flying from IAH to GRU then to EZE. 30 hour layover in GRU. Should be fun.

I'll be interested to see how they handle the bag thing but I'm not taking anything I can't live without this time.

I'm flying from IAH to GRU then to EZE. 30 hour layover in GRU. Should be fun.

I'll be interested to see how they handle the bag thing but I'm not taking anything I can't live without this time.
Is it all on the same ticket - try get as much confirmation beforehand. All I will say is if they can't check your bag and you into all your flights in EZE then don't go because in my experience there is 0 chance of anyone entering Brazil to collect bags or check-in that is not a resident or Brazilian citizen. 30 hours in GRU - ouch... Everything is pretty much closed on the airside except 1 cafe which has some food. No lounges are open either.

Is it all on the same ticket - try get as much confirmation beforehand. All I will say is if they can't check your bag and you into all your flights in EZE then don't go because in my experience there is 0 chance of anyone entering Brazil to collect bags or check-in that is not a resident or Brazilian citizen. 30 hours in GRU - ouch... Everything is pretty much closed on the airside except 1 cafe which has some food. No lounges are open either.

Currently have one ticket on United and one on Aerolineas. Wonder if I can counter this by packing light and carrying everything on...

Currently have one ticket on United and one on Aerolineas. Wonder if I can counter this by packing light and carrying everything on...
You improve your chances of having no issues with missing bags if you can get away with no checked luggage. Just make sure you check-in to the United flight BEFORE you leave Argentina and have the boarding pass on paper or your phone because you will need it to enter airside terminal of GRU when you land and I didn't see any 'transit' counter in GRU before going through security to enter airside.

I'm a
You improve your chances of having no issues with missing bags if you can get away with no checked luggage. Just make sure you check-in to the United flight BEFORE you leave Argentina and have the boarding pass on paper or your phone because you will need it to enter airside terminal of GRU when you land and I didn't see any 'transit' counter in GRU before going through security to enter airside.

I'm actually flying the other direct and returning to Argentina.

I'm actually flying the other direct and returning to Argentina.
Ahh ok sorry I misread your post. Are you in contact with the Argentina embassy in USA? Is the United flight an official repatriation flight - if it isn't then you will have a problem because you are required to do a medical check prior to flying to EZE (this is normally done at check-in and organised by Embassy).

Yeah I had to get approval from the Houston Consular to buy the UA flight. Once I bought that flight I had to forward the consular proof of payment. Then I had to wait for the consular to send a message to Aerolineas to clear me to buy the last leg. AR sent me an email with a confirmation code and a link to a payment page.

You could buy both these flights for $720. Shows you how much they're ripping you off to fly from Houston to EZE where the normal price is $2400 for coach ($650 of which is taxes just to land in AR).

Yeah I had to get approval from the Houston Consular to buy the UA flight. Once I bought that flight I had to forward the consular proof of payment. Then I had to wait for the consular to send a message to Aerolineas to clear me to buy the last leg. AR sent me an email with a confirmation code and a link to a payment page.

You could buy both these flights for $720. Shows you how much they're ripping you off to fly from Houston to EZE where the normal price is $2400 for coach ($650 of which is taxes just to land in AR).
OK good - I ended up doing it all on my own and had to last minute try convince the Argentine embassy in Sao Paulo to come airside and do the medical check there since it was being done at check-in. Luckily they agreed or I would have been on a plane back to Europe. I would double check with the embassy and confirm where the medical check will be taking place.

I was able to confirm with UA that my bags would be checked all the way through. I hope so...

If possible, please write us a brief commentary about your travel to airport, airport check in , flight boarding procedures, in flight experience and arriving at your country experience..
So, I was finally able to leave the country on last Thursday, took a cabify (taxi app) to the airport and carried a printed version of my ticket, the printed letter from the ambassador and passport in hand We zipped through the city quickly , we weren't stopped at all by police (as they say it would happen) and it arrived at Ezeiza Int'l airport 7 hours before departure (I really didn't want to miss it) , the airport had a weird atmosphere, all the shops and restaurants were shut, except McDonalds who was serving meals/coffee, most of the screens weren't announcing departures (only two commercial flights were leaving that evening) , so you kinda have to ask around for info. In "Migraciones" / customs they make you sign a document that you won't come back during the pandemic , I eyerolled a little ... when I arrived in Spain 12hours later I immediatly could feel a more relaxed vibes / less restrictions , hoping to come back to Argentina, when things are better.

Back