Foie gras...

Saturnine

Registered
I'm having some friends over and the menu is complete except for the foie gras.
Any suggestions where I might find some of the good stuff in BA? At, let's say, reasonable prices? I'm not asking for an unrealistic bargain, but I'd rather not pay for it what may be an entire monthly pay in some country or other:rolleyes:
Thanks;)

Their is a French producer of Foie Gras just outside of Buenos Aires.. I had drinks with him once...and have tasted his product....amazing!!! I couldn't find his contact information, but I know he supplies just about all if not all French restaurants...and any other restaurant that has Foie Gras in BA..probably Argentina. He uses the most humane technique ... hand "force" fed...Has a crew of around 5... to take care of the animals...not some mass produced caged operation.
Try one of the finer restaurants...the chef/management can surely give you the contact information. And no worries...the cost, including inflation, is 1/3 of what it would cost in France...anywhere.

cbphoto said:
Their is a French producer of Foie Gras just outside of Buenos Aires.. I had drinks with him once...and have tasted his product....amazing!!! I couldn't find his contact information, but I know he supplies just about all if not all French restaurants...and any other restaurant that has Foie Gras in BA..probably Argentina. He uses the most humane technique ... hand "force" fed...Has a crew of around 5... to take care of the animals...not some mass produced caged operation.
Try one of the finer restaurants...the chef/management can surely give you the contact information. And no worries...the cost, including inflation, is 1/3 of what it would cost in France...anywhere.

I am going to send emails to a few French chefs here to check about this guy.
This could be very interesting.

I asked ahumaderoweiss.com and they replied that the production of foie gras is prohibited (now ?) in Argentina. It might be true

Bump.

I keep seeing foie gras on restaurant menus but never on store shelves. I'm looking for fresh or fresh frozen.

I asked ahumaderoweiss.com and they replied that the production of foie gras is prohibited (now ?) in Argentina. It might be true

Welcome to life outside of France. Personally, I prefer a good terrine over foi gras, but still .....

Edit: I just saw that your post was from 2010.

Strange coincidence, I was also looking for foie gras yesterday. It seems it's prohibited now. But indeed, they sell foie gras in restaurants, weird.

I was just going to post that it is now forbidden in Argentina, here is the resolution by Senasa http://www.senasa.gov.ar/contenido.php?to=n&in=1033&ino=1033&io=5369 I remember some years ago a producer had a website, etc, and it is now gone.

Back