Food prices are amongst the highest of the planet

Strawman

I don't know anyone who objects to the convenience. What people object to are the beastly working conditions to which Amazon employees are subjected, such that they have to pee in a bottle because the company won't allow them time to go to the bathroom, having to work all bundled up in scarf and parka because the warehouses are freezing cold in the winter, things like that. And then when, in response to such horrid working conditions, Amazon employees attempted to unionize, Amazon management went to outrageous and in some cases outright illegal extremes to prevent that unionization from taking place. This is exploitation.

So, no, it's not "much more complicated", but congratulations on managing to work in the word "ideological".
That is terrible. So, the Amazon employees have no personal agency and are being forced to work there like indentured servants or Medieval serfs? I hope that someone notifies the Department of Labor.

Wrong. "Porteños cant afford to eat anymore"

"Levels of desperation I've never seen before"

"Everybody has to eat and porteños are at the point they cant eat (starving)."

Not a good defense of this panic mongering thread.
We’re obviously not reading the same forum. You’re just making quotes up.

Sounds like no one here has gone shopping recently in New York City or Los Angeles
I'm frequently in California, including earlier this month, and let me tell you, Ralphs/Vons/Walmart, hell, even certain items at CVS and Whole Foods are substantially cheaper than here, and the salaries are nowhere near as low. It was shocking just how cheap things were, even eating out was cheaper, and this was California, not known for being cheap in the US.

1 small example: I bought caesar dressing at Ralphs, $1.99 a bottle, can't come close to that at Dia, even for similar basic condiments such as ketchup. It made me depressed thinking about how much money I was going to have to spend when I came back home to BsAs to go grocery shopping, and I have a good job, forget the average Argentines who are barely earning $500 a month.

The Mileification of the economy is turning us in to Ireland alright, just in terms of food prices, nothing else. It's truly the worst of both worlds, we have sky high prices, limited selections, shortages of goods, and the things we do get are often of poor quality compared to the US and Europe.

But hey, he's owning the libs so I guess that's the price of freedom...

Kansas Ketchup, ARS1735 (USD 1.94 official, USD 1.43 blue..... taxes included).
Carrefour Caesar Dressing, ARS2601 (USD 2.91 official, USD 2.15 blue... taxes included).

Can totally understand that some expats don't want to come back to Argentina because they will around 0.15 cents more for caesar dressing...assuming Ralphs prices are tax included.

Anyway in the gossip columns Argentine celebrities, who presumably frequent fancier cafes in Buenos Aires, are still shocked by the price of a coffee in Korea... guess there are always greener/ browner pastures depending on one's situation and mood.

These high prices cannot be sustained absent some massive foreign investment boom (that will not happen). While it’s easy to get upset about price rises, I am confident this will adjust.

That is terrible. So, the Amazon employees have no personal agency and are being forced to work there like indentured servants or Medieval serfs? I hope that someone notifies the Department of Labor.
They must toil the packaging lines under the protection of their lords & barons, lest they be pillaged and raped by roving bands of hostile Walmart employees.

I'm frequently in California, including earlier this month, and let me tell you, Ralphs/Vons/Walmart, hell, even certain items at CVS and Whole Foods are substantially cheaper than here, and the salaries are nowhere near as low. It was shocking just how cheap things were, even eating out was cheaper, and this was California, not known for being cheap in the US.
I'll tell you what, if you ever decide to move to California, you might be interested in comparing rental prices for a one bedroom apartment in Marin County. Here's one with 588 sqft for $2787-$2852/mo.
Similar prices can be found in Santa Monica 527 sqft for $3145/mo.

Last edited:
Obviously since all these quotes are in this thread. Guess it would be better to say "Porteños (in Palermo) cant afford to eat anymkre."
I don't think I've ever seen someone come and so shamelessly make up quotes to attribute to people he disagrees with. Just to be clear, the quotes:

"Porteños cant afford to eat anymore"
"Levels of desperation I've never seen before"
"Everybody has to eat and porteños are at the point they cant eat (starving)."

Are invented, nobody has written those sentences in this thread (or anywhere else on the forum as far as I can see):

In generic terms, though, I have seen this tactic before, and it has a name: "flood the zone with shit". And that, I believe, is an actual quote. https://mediamanipulation.org/definitions/distributed-amplification

Back