Food prices are amongst the highest of the planet

I don't think I've ever seen someone come and so shamelessly make up quotes to attribute to people he disagrees with. Just to be clear, the quotes:

"Porteños cant afford to eat anymore"
"Levels of desperation I've never seen before"
"Everybody has to eat and porteños are at the point they cant eat (starving)."

Are invented, nobody has written those sentences in this thread (or anywhere else on the forum as far as I can see):

In generic terms, though, I have seen this tactic before, and it has a name: "flood the zone with shit". And that, I believe, is an actual quote. https://mediamanipulation.org/definitions/distributed-amplification

Found it!

5ga5ha.png

Fact checkmate!
Nope, I believe this is the original post.

original-post1.png

The one Reply Guy posted is fake - a screenshot edited in Photoshop or some other image editor. I thought I had seen everything, but this is quite a new level. It looks like Reply Guy has too much time on his hands.

Instead of commiserating about BA prices being high. I suggest drinking Rutini wines or better, Ojo de Bife as often as possible, go high on the hog . Because later on you will not be able to afford it .

These high prices cannot be sustained absent some massive foreign investment boom (that will not happen). While it’s easy to get upset about price rises, I am confident this will adjust.
This is where I'm less confident; I've been living in/coming to Argentina for over a decade now, and businesses just don't seem to adhere to the normal laws of supply and demand. Don't get me wrong, now that we're in a recession (and even before) they successfully clamped down on employees' income by saying "well, you know the state of the economy", but goods and services here simply don't adjust to reality - they'd rather throw out goods or let them collect dust rather than sell for a market acceptable price. Here are some things I can think of off the top of my head:

- Electronics (anything really, but especially US middle class items like PlayStations or entry level iPhones or laptops) will often be several generations/years behind, with the current generation/year's price, if not more. I saw a PS4 advertised as a "hot sale" for the current PS5 price in the US
- Perishable food; I've seen items like seasonal confectionary at Coto go from double digit prices in USD to reduced for clearance after the holiday to then expiring on the reduced rack, all because they don't want to sell at anything less than cost. Jumbo has a freezer bunker FULL of Haagen Dazs ice cream that is going to get freezer burnt before it sells, it's half of the regular US size @ 250ml, and costs 4.5 times as much at $18 USD/unit
- Real estate. There are more houses and apartments for sale than ever it seems, yet prices are insane compared to market conditions. I'm not talking about how in the US and Canada a 500sqft bachelor is almost a million dollars in NYC or Vancouver because people want to live there and there is both domestic and foreign demand, but rather how nobody can afford properties here, there's very limited foreign demand, yet people think a bachelor in Flores is worth 250K, or a house in a barrio that's a step up/next to a villa is worth 150K USD in zona sur
- Vehicles. They are generally, like housing, divorced from reality. A national used car with roll up windows, terrible mileage, and being over 50% plastic costs upwards of tens of thousands of dollars, while new national cars can be several thousands more than in Europe, have little to no safety features or only 2 airbags, yet are produced in Argentina with Argentine wages and components, all much cheaper than making them in Europe

All this has convinced me that despite Milei insisting "supply and demand" Argentine businesses do not adhere to this, and as such we'll continue to see the practice of goods/services being insanely priced compared to their component requirements and labor, especially compared to other countries for the same or similar goods.

The one Reply Guy posted is fake - a screenshot edited in Photoshop or some other image editor. I thought I had seen everything, but this is quite a new level. It looks like Reply Guy has too much time on his hands.
Wow, I thought the cloning of posts to the other site was weird, but photoshopping another member's post is something else...

Thank you for calling this out, while we may have differing (and strong) opinions, we shouldn't literally falsify other's comments to "win" an argument.

I was recently in the San Diego, California area for about a month and I find the US to still be more expensive than Argentina overall.

In the US - Healthcare is significantly more expensive, real estate much more expensive, electricity, many food items as well.

I haven't found Argentina overly expensive in USD terms, even Montevideo feels more expensive still.

Back