Food prices are amongst the highest of the planet

It is Insane that prices here now are nickels and dimes away from California prices.
BsAs prices now do not make any sense. As a rule of thumb, anything exceeding 1/4 California price is expensive.

Again
BsAs is no California. Nor will it ever be. Different league.
It ok for slow passing retirement time.

Last edited:
It is Insane that prices here now are nickels and dimes away from California prices.
BsAs prices now do not make any sense. As a rule of thumb, anything exceeding 1/4 California price is expensive.

Again
Japan which has a minimum wage more than 5 times Argentina is in most cases less than half the price for food and toiletries

Japan which has a minimum wage more than 5 times Argentina is in most cases less than half the price for food and toiletries

Hi Perry,

You are posting prices in USD from other countries as a comparison point to Argentina. However, other country currencies behave very differently depending on their economics and even demographics. Japan is an exporter country. Like China, it carries a significant trade surplus with the USA. Japan needs to do something with all those dollars. It can't covert them to the Yen or it would strengthen the Yen too much making it's exports too expensive. It instead buys US Treasuries, weakening the Yen to boost exports, and thereby allowing the US to fund it's enormous fiscal deficits with lower inflation than other countries could do. Japan also has a falling population rate, causing a deflationary pressure on their economy. The US for example has 12 different Federal Reserve districts and used to have different interest rates for their respective zones. At one point inflation on the west coast was higher because of the gold rush than the east coast. Inflation can be regional, national or even global. The OPEC oil embargo caused temporary global inflationary pressure. The war in Ukraine caused global grain price inflation due to it's export disruptions. I don't think the USD or USA should be a global metric to determine if something is "affordable". I do agree with you that Argentina is not affordable to many Argentinians based on the dynamics within Argentina. My simple minded brain thinks wage pressure is happening and many sectors are fighting to pass on those costs to an ever shrinking pool of disposable income. I too wonder just how much cost these sectors can pass on. Swiss Medical might be very happy to charge twice the amount to half the customers. It's the same margins with half the administration costs assuming their other costs aren't rising too. The half of the administrators left working there may get raises to keep up with inflation, the other half that aren't needed will be unemployed. The equality here will worsen, poverty as a whole will rise. I don't see the light at the other end of the tunnel yet or how this is supposed to equalize without a whole lot of unemployed. Unless deregulation and a desperate labor pool open up an investment boom of wage arbitrage that lifts people out of this. The government cannot sit idly by, even the IMF has mentioned this. At some point it will need to take the surplus it is generating and invest it back into the economy.

Last edited:

Again
California is a great place to live. However, if you and your significant other don't have a 100K combined annual income you may not qualify to rent an apartment in Marin County or Santa Monica, but don't worry, here's a 574 sqft one bedroom in South Central L.A. with lots of light for only $1800+/mo, https://www.zillow.com/b/1421-1-2-e-108th-st-los-angeles-ca-CfDt37/ But as Perry has assured us for many years, Argentina is actually more expensive than almost anywhere on the planet.

Last edited:
But as Perry has assured us for many years, Argentina is actually more expensive than almost anywhere on the planet.
With the new 300% inflation and prices that rival California prices and mediocre Argentine income ,,,,, @perry is correct.

BsAs is a good spot to retire.

Last edited:

Again

Perry made the claim that prices are among the most expensive in the world. I disagree with that claim, but I also agree that BsAs is no California.

Wow, I thought the cloning of posts to the other site was weird, but photoshopping another member's post is something else...

Thank you for calling this out, while we may have differing (and strong) opinions, we shouldn't literally falsify other's comments to "win" an argument.

Hi Perry,

You are posting prices in USD from other countries as a comparison point to Argentina. However, other country currencies behave very differently depending on their economics and even demographics. Japan is an exporter country. Like China, it carries a significant trade surplus with the USA. Japan needs to do something with all those dollars. It can't covert them to the Yen or it would strengthen the Yen too much making it's exports too expensive. It instead buys US Treasuries, weakening the Yen to boost exports, and thereby allowing the US to fund it's enormous fiscal deficits with lower inflation than other countries could do. Japan also has a falling population rate, causing a deflationary pressure on their economy. The US for example has 12 different Federal Reserve districts and used to have different interest rates for their respective zones. At one point inflation on the west coast was higher because of the gold rush than the east coast. Inflation can be regional, national or even global. The OPEC oil embargo caused temporary global inflationary pressure. The war in Ukraine caused global grain price inflation due to it's export disruptions. I don't think the USD or USA should be a global metric to determine if something is "affordable". I do agree with you that Argentina is not affordable to many Argentinians based on the dynamics within Argentina. My simple minded brain thinks wage pressure is happening and many sectors are fighting to pass on those costs to an ever shrinking pool of disposable income. I too wonder just how much cost these sectors can pass on. Swiss Medical might be very happy to charge twice the amount to half the customers. It's the same margins with half the administration costs assuming their other costs aren't rising too. The half of the administrators left working there may get raises to keep up with inflation, the other half that aren't needed will be unemployed. The equality here will worsen, poverty as a whole will rise. I don't see the light at the other end of the tunnel yet or how this is supposed to equalize without a whole lot of unemployed. Unless deregulation and a desperate labor pool open up an investment boom of wage arbitrage that lifts people out of this. The government cannot sit idly by, even the IMF has mentioned this. At some point it will need to take the surplus it is generating and invest it back into the economy.

Perry made the claim that prices are among the most expensive in the world. I disagree with that claim, but I also agree that BsAs is no California.
The post was about food prices nothing else . There is no doubt that food prices in Argentina are amongst the dearest of the planet This was never the case before 2015 when food in Argentina was great quality and cheap

It was good to let @Reply Guy twist in the wind for an afternoon, it flushed out the usual suspects liking his fake post:

retiredbanker, SinPulgas, Stantucker and macanudo
And this post flushed out the usual suspects that are willing to go along with your generally insulting, belligerent, and pedantic posts as along as they are long partisan lines. Keep beating us over the heads with your posts, Frank, never really wanting to engage in meaningful dialogue. We've come to expect nothing else from you and your loyal band of followers.

Hi Perry,

The US for example has 12 different Federal Reserve districts and used to have different interest rates for their respective zones. At one point inflation on the west coast was higher because of the gold rush than the east coast.

The California Gold Rush began in 1849. The Federal Reserve Bank was created by the Federal Reserve Act of 1913.

That doesn't invalidate your statement. Yes, inflation was out of control when the population of California went from 10K to 200K in the space of a few years. But it certainly means that The Fed had nothing to do with it, since it did not yet exist.

As for the comparisons to Japan, I am hesitant. Japan is just different and unique.

Last edited:
Back