Food prices are amongst the highest of the planet

My ingressos in dollars has not changed since December of 2023. I have $800 USD pee month available. I would have to do some research to calculate what my monthly costs in pesos were in December of 2023, but I am sure they haven't more than doubled since then.

My current monthly costs of services (gas, water, electricity, Internet, phone, garbage collection and street maintainence) are $80 USD and the total is almost exactly 10% of my income, which is less than $50.000 pesos over three minimum salaries that are now $254.000.
My total income is $800 USD PER month.

My SS income is just under $600 USD per month...with an additional $200 USD from another source.

So my monthly "costs" as previously itemized are currently almost exactly 10% of my gross income....and I live alone in a house.

I did not include property taxes when I calculated the costs.

I did not include property taxes when I calculated the costs.
The 150 mtr2 house with a 100 mtr2 outbuilding sits on two adjacent half hectáreas lots (2.5 acres total).

The combined ARBA propery taxes for both lots totals less than $7.00 USD per month for 2024, the same as 2023,

I won't be surprised if they increase by 200%-300% next year. This is a provincial tax and is separate tax from the municipal tasa for trash removal and street maintainence.

I am in the US right now, will be back next month- so I cant say for absolute sure, but, recently, I have seen lamb at Corte, Piaf, and Converso, and Jose El Carnicero, the new parilla by the owners of La Carniceria and Nino Gordo cooks a whole lamb on the fire in the window every day. In fact, Pedro cooks a pig, a lamb, and a side of beef there every day they are open, and the complimentary empanadas are often lamb.
So lamb is there- its just that its expensive, compared to ordinary beef, and not every carniceria will stock it.

My idea is ,,,, if it is not in a major super market or in barrio chino or if frozen for decades ,,,, then it doesn't exist.

Paso paso ,,.🤣 ,, life is short.

My ingressos in dollars has not changed since December of 2023. I have $800 USD pee month available. I would have to do some research to calculate what my monthly costs in pesos were in December of 2023, but I am sure they haven't more than doubled since then.

My current monthly costs of services (gas, water, electricity, Internet, phone, garbage collection and street maintainence) are $80 USD and the total is almost exactly 10% of my income, which is less than $50.000 pesos over three minimum salaries that are now $254.000.
You are living like an Argentine, not an expat. Congratulations! Your income is more than most people receive here; you have a comfortable home, you eat healthy food. Expats can learn a lot from you.

You are living like an Argentine, not an expat. Congratulations! Your income is more than most people receive here; you have a comfortable home, you eat healthy food. Expats can learn a lot from you.
I very much doubt if the common expat would dare or have the tenacity.

I am in the US right now, will be back next month- so I cant say for absolute sure, but, recently, I have seen lamb at Corte, Piaf, and Converso, and Jose El Carnicero, the new parilla by the owners of La Carniceria and Nino Gordo cooks a whole lamb on the fire in the window every day. In fact, Pedro cooks a pig, a lamb, and a side of beef there every day they are open, and the complimentary empanadas are often lamb.
So lamb is there- its just that its expensive, compared to ordinary beef, and not every carniceria will stock it.

The Bar Britanico @ Defensa & Parque Lezama has ( delicious ) lamb on Sunday's ... nice place

I very much doubt if the common expat would dare or have the tenacity.
I agree but I have met a few who have adapted to the real Argentina. I knew a woman who married an Argentine. They had a child. The father refused to allow the child to leave Argentina. The mother wanted to go back to the US but she prioritised the child's welfare. To do so she had to find work here, low paid of course. She was able to buy a modest home in a lower middle class area in the peovincia. I know a few others who have found a way of living on less than $1,000 USD a month. They learn to adapt.

My idea is ,,,, if it is not in a major super market or in barrio chino or if frozen for decades ,,,, then it doesn't exist.

Paso paso ,,.🤣 ,, life is short.
My idea is the exact opposite.
The entire reason I live in BA is so I never have to enter a major supermarket.
I do go to barrio chino, but mainly to eat at Mian or to buy specialty items.
I have a network of small family owned stores of all types I have been shopping at for up to 15 years, many I have long term relationships with.
I often get deals, sometimes even gifts, and always great service. I have worked with factories here that will make tiny custom runs for us.
I go to the chino in Retiro, and the girl may not have seen me in six months, but she knows me, knows what I buy, and welcomes me.
Disco, not so much.
If you want quality anything in BA, you need to do the research- generally there are multiple levels of every product, and if you buy everything at the coto, you get the lowest level of goods. There is a reason they call it queso industrial.

I go to five different hardware stores, depending on what it is I am buying.
I have one store for thread, a different one for needles.
and while I may only go to Piaf or Corte a couple of times a year, its always worth it.
I totally agree- life is short. Too short to live on coke and uno pizza.

My idea is the exact opposite.
The entire reason I live in BA is so I never have to enter a major supermarket.
I do go to barrio chino, but mainly to eat at Mian or to buy specialty items.
I have a network of small family owned stores of all types I have been shopping at for up to 15 years, many I have long term relationships with.
I often get deals, sometimes even gifts, and always great service. I have worked with factories here that will make tiny custom runs for us.
I go to the chino in Retiro, and the girl may not have seen me in six months, but she knows me, knows what I buy, and welcomes me.
Disco, not so much.
If you want quality anything in BA, you need to do the research- generally there are multiple levels of every product, and if you buy everything at the coto, you get the lowest level of goods. There is a reason they call it queso industrial.

I go to five different hardware stores, depending on what it is I am buying.
I have one store for thread, a different one for needles.
and while I may only go to Piaf or Corte a couple of times a year, its always worth it.
I totally agree- life is short. Too short to live on coke and uno pizza.
People's personality and preferences and ideas differ widely and wildly.
Of course I go to some speciality local stores but I'll never marry an Argentine or do research for a kilo of lamb. ,, Txs but no txs ,,, paso paso. 🤣
For me ,,, equating major super markets to only coke and pizza is a zealot extreme.

Last edited:
People's personality and preferences and ideas differ widely and wildly.
Of course I go to some speciality local stores but I'll never marry an Argentine or do research for a kilo of lamb. ,, Txs but no txs ,,, paso paso. 🤣
For me ,,, equating major super markets to only coke and pizza is a zealot extreme.
I've been surprised on several occasions by what I found in the freezers at Coto: a very respectable selection of sea fish, plus pacu and surubi, even turkeys for Christmas (when everyone else has run out).

I'm told their fresh meat selection is also very good, and reasonably priced. Mostly beef and pork, lamb is more a Patagonian thing.

I feel an expedition coming on to the Coto out here in the TOM.

Back