Foods that could be produced here?

Mano Negra

Registered
My friend Heath, a long term expat, has a sideline producing bacon. It's what an Englishman would consider real (and top quality) bacon, i,e, it doesn't shrink in the pan, has enough fat to be flavorful, but around the outside of the rasher, and can equally be served cooked or crispy (without the need to put it under a grill). Everyone I have introduced this product to has loved it, Argentine or otherwise. He is about to start producing sausages. The point is he has managed to persuade the producers that there is a market for a particular product, and also that that product is pleasing to Argentine's as well as expats. I suspect he will succeed with the sausages as well.

My question is, what other products (without the need for massive industrialization - i.e. good quality artenesal products that you would buy but that would not be "scary" to Argentines - no curry sauce for instance) is it worth producing here, either for internal, expat or export market.

I have just come back from Sabores and Caminos at the Rural and there were a number of Olive Oils that rivaled the best in Italy or France, some great vinegars (esp. Torrontes), very good yellow Aji Cayena, and various other things of interest. However there is very little processing / value add to a lot of other commodities.

So what could Argentina easily produce that has a domestic (you have to start small scale) and then an export market?

My thoughts;

Quality tomato JUICE, and possibly a Bloody Mary Mix
Panchos, that taste German, rather than just looking German
Cheese - a few french guys would transform the industry in the same way wine has been transformed in the last 15 years.
Calvados - Brandy - Eau de Vie (again we need the French for credibility)
Peanut butter - I hate the stuff myself but how hard can it be, a lot of the raw materials are already exported from here to the US.
Dried mushrooms, some interesting varieties grow here.

What do you guys miss or think could fit into this matrix?

Peanut Butter is already being produced here, by the way. The new brand is called Dame Mani.

I think a line of middle eastern food products, mostly refrigerated. Like in the USA and in Europe.
Hummus (with a few varieties, lemon, red pepper, etc.)
Babaganoush
Falafel Mix (which already exists here, it's the same garbanzo bean flour used to make fainá)
Tabouleh
Pita Bread
Fava Beans
Eggplant in tomato sauce
They would go nicely in the refrigerated sections of the supermarkets, along with all the other stuff that's sold in plastic containers, Casancrem, yogurts, butter, etc.

Cheese is the winner in my opinion, so much dairy, no decent cheese.

I do, however, believe you'd have a limited target market. Argentines, as should be expected, like their cheese the way it is. So your market is expats and well traveled Argentines. There are plenty of both. Good restaurants too where the affluent locals will develop a taste for good cheese. Limited regulations mean it can be unpasturized which means heavenly.

Good cheese is already being produced and served around Mendoza, but there's still time.

So glad to see people tinking this way as opposed to pretending they're about to be able to import expat favorites at a reasonable price. This will not happen. And think domestic, there's plenty of money there, ability to export will be unpredictable for the forseeable future. Just ask
cattle farmers. If you can't export Argentine beef, what can you export?

Also keep in mind you need a huge profit margin for a sustainable business given inflation. In AR you need to turn a profit fast because it could all be over quickly. Especially if your business requires a bricks and mortar type of investment.

Cheese definitely!! Tomato juice is being produced by campagnola (sp) but it's not great quality--something along the lines of V8 juice is something that I know I would buy. There are already quite a lot of varieties of dried mushrooms that can be found here (barrio chino), not sure there's a big market for that.

Middle Eastern food and also Mexican food products I think would be well received (a couple people are doing the latter and I think are doing well, so there would be some competition).

GOOD bread might also be one. There's already Hausbraut that does a nice job but I still think that there's lots of room for improvement. Sourdough!

Bloody Mary mix? I don't think so. Argentines are not into cocktails.

Cheese: yes. The domestic variety is expensive, very limited in selection and mostly mediocre. If the price can be kept down, there might be a market.

Bread: YES!

The problem will be 1) keeping prices reasonable 2) getting Argentines to TRY something new.

Quality tomato JUICE - It could work, unless it´s way more expensive that the average tomato sauce
and possibly a Bloody Mary Mix: No Way, we would never like this cocktail, i´ve tried it a couple of time back in the US and I almost die ! You guys love it but argentine palate would never go for it :p
Panchos, that taste German, rather than just looking German: if they taste better than the ones we have, im sure it ill work
Cheese - a few french guys would transform the industry in the same way wine has been transformed in the last 15 years : someone mention we like the local cheese the way it is, but also, if there´s a better tasting option then we would go for it, unless it´s much more pricey.
Calvados - Brandy - Eau de Vie (again we need the French for credibility) - yeps :)
Peanut butter - Just like bloody Mary mix. We just dont have the palate for it, i believe it´s even produced here as well, but the truth is, the average argentine hasnt even tried it or even know it exists, and for those of us who tried it.........hmmm, not good at all, i know you guys love this stuff, cant live without it, but here it would not work at all.
Dried mushrooms, some interesting varieties grow here: :) though it would not be massivaley consumed i guess.

Cheese, Cheese, Cheese and more Cheese! Seriously - all the ingredients are there and there is definitely a market for high-end cheese here. I can promise I would be first in line at your friend's place to buy!

Breads as well - sourdough, pumpernickel, rye. You can sell it in the same store as your cheese and bacon :)

A little bit off topic but I've often wondered if there would be a market for a NY style deli where you could get great, fresh-made sandwiches. Along those lines of things that could be made locally that you would need - good, FRESH, sliced meats - turkey, ham, chicken, etc. I love turkey and I only ever find the gross, sliced stuff in Coto or Jumbo that has this clear, rubbery gelatin in it - vomitous. I would LOVE to be able to have a fresh sliced turkey with bacon, avocado on fresh-baked bread. Mmmmmmm...

The only time I ever bought a turkey here, it was frozen and from Brazil. It was good tasting though, fairly expensive. $100 pesos for 8KG and that was over a year ago.

While it's not a "food" per say, I'm going to add BEER. The options here are bland.

Back