Foods that could be produced here?

Citigirl, pick up the fork wrote about a NY style deli fairly recently. I haven't checked out yet, but she liked it.

There are many, many food and other opportunities in the city. I'm guessing being an entrepreneur is not popular here. Ever notice how certain kinds of food stores are clustered in the same area? I can buy great prosciutto at many places in Palermo Chico but good look finding it in Soho or Hollywood.

jazrgz said:
Quality tomato JUICE - It could work, unless it´s way more expensive that the average tomato sauce
and possibly a Bloody Mary Mix: No Way, we would never like this cocktail, i´ve tried it a couple of time back in the US and I almost die ! You guys love it but argentine palate would never go for it :p
Panchos, that taste German, rather than just looking German: if they taste better than the ones we have, im sure it ill work
Cheese - a few french guys would transform the industry in the same way wine has been transformed in the last 15 years : someone mention we like the local cheese the way it is, but also, if there´s a better tasting option then we would go for it, unless it´s much more pricey.
Calvados - Brandy - Eau de Vie (again we need the French for credibility) - yeps :)
Peanut butter - Just like bloody Mary mix. We just dont have the palate for it, i believe it´s even produced here as well, but the truth is, the average argentine hasnt even tried it or even know it exists, and for those of us who tried it.........hmmm, not good at all, i know you guys love this stuff, cant live without it, but here it would not work at all.
Dried mushrooms, some interesting varieties grow here: :) though it would not be massivaley consumed i guess.

So would Argentines go for bacon sandwiches??? It doesn't sound too daring a leap!

Scrummy chutnies to go with the cheese (Mango etc..)

Decent Patagonian whisky/Vodka (There are crops and the glacial water)

While the Argentine Chorizo is yummy, more intricate sausages would be welcome eg. pear and pork.

Pimmmmmmmmmms

Verdura-mite?

Caramel/toffee/kendal mint cake.

Miles Lewis said:
So would Argentines go for bacon sandwiches??? It doesn't sound too daring a leap!

We most certainly would :) we definately have the palate for bacon even though is not traditional to us, it has everything our palate likes ! :p

rrptownley said:
Verdura-mite?

I dont think so, the other options you mentioned are debatable...but vegiemite or similar would absolutaly never work here !

El Duderino said:
While it's not a "food" per say, I'm going to add BEER. The options here are bland.

There are actually some decent microbrews here, but the problem is the cost. It's often about TWICE as expensive to buy a single 12oz (or 333ml) bottle of microbeer here as it costs in the States.

US$1.50/US$2. (~AR$6.23/AR$8.30) vs ~AR$12 to AR$15

That's just tan riduculo!

Napoleon said:
There are actually some decent microbrews here

Names, I want names.

Otro Mundo: it's OK
Barba Roja: yuck
Antares: it's decent

I'm a beer snob, admittedly. :eek:

I'm guessing being an entrepreneur is not popular here.
Actually Argentine is one of the Nations with the highest rate of entrepreneurs in the World, specially due to the crisis and few chances of getting decent jobs. Don't ask how many of them succeed though. Well, many people start without kowing much, without plan, as it is quite usual in Argentina.

Beer: I always thought that Argentines would love a good German Weizenbier or Czech Pilsner...but most of them don't. It is just too bitter for the Argentine palate. The same goes for Brazilians: two weeks ago a Brazilian guy sitting next to me in the plane told me he was coming from Belgium and that once he ordered a beer in a bar in Brussels and the beer came and it was warm, not ice-cold as it should be. And the guy was a doctor, someone who had been out of the country before. My theory is that proper European beer will not work in Argentina.

Peanut butter: no chance

Tomate juice: Argentines won't drink it...they could try to cook with it though :p

What about aceto balsámico? And specialty oils? Like grape seed oil? pumpkin seed oil? walnut oil?

Cheese would surely work, I thought many times about retiring to Cordoba, buy some goats and produce cheese :-D

I like this thread, at last something constructive and so far not much whingeing :)

My Argentine boyfriend would KILL for more peanut butter from the States (and a box of Twinkies)...it's just a matter of getting them to give it a chance, that's the hard part!

Back