For those of you who are fluent..how good or bad is your Castellano accent?

Well I assume most of us live in Argentina in some form or another, hence if you are learning Spanish while living here, you are learning Castellano.

Or like learning English from watching the Sopranos to reproduce the Italian inflection of Argentine Spanish.

Che boludo! sounds a lot like, Bada bing, bada boom!

Who said anything about going around saying "che boludo"? I'm asking if people who are fluent how their accent is.

Can’t see the point in trying to sound like a porteño. It’s probably quite obvious that I’m foreign. Although I’ve had people guess where I’m from and had everything from Yanqui to Turkish to Spanish and a few others in between. No one had guessed British as far as I remember.

So do you use vos, or tu? Hace, or haz, etc..?

Well I learnt Spanish in Argentina so I use vos and say ll as sh but I don’t say boludo every 3 seconds gesticulate with my hands, shout loudly and talk into my phone like I don’t realise you can put it to your ear. So you can spot I’m a Jonny foreigner from a mile off.

Not fluent yet but I'm using vos and pronouncing LL and y as "sh", but I'll keep my Scottish accent while doing so (I don't want to think what this sounds like...).

My body has a full cringe convulsion when I hear Brazilians or Argentines try to sound American (dude!!! , bro!!! , ya wanna?!) so I'd like to avoid doing the same in Spanish.

á
I've said this before in this forum when you had asked the same question: when Dustin is using porteño slang, words and phrases he knows very well, his accent is very good. But if you go to YouTube and watch a TV interview with him, his accent is not so good because in a real conversation he's outside his comfort zone and having to manage so many more linguistic elements.

At any rate he's Spanish is exceptional. I can say he's the best Spanish speaker, from the Anglo natives, I have ever encountered.

Speakers native in Phonetic languages like German or romance languages have less of a problem with the Spanish accent. Anglos have a Very difficult time .. and vice versa .

He is very good, but only in the same way Spanish speaking comedians from other countries in the region are when they parody the stereotypical Porteño. At the end of the day, he is acting out a role play. It would be interesting to the listen to the personality he adopts in English when he is back home in the US. And how his porteñoness (which is a combination of accent, vocabulary, and, attitude) plays when he tries it on elsewhere on the continent--and also what happens when the people he encounters discover that lurking beneath the porteño facade is a gringo.

Last edited:
á

At any rate he's Spanish is exceptional. I can say he's the best Spanish speaker, from the Anglo natives, I have ever encountered.

Speakers native in Phonetic languages like German or romance languages have less of a problem with the Spanish accent. Anglos have a Very difficult time .. and vice versa .

IDK man I watched a long video of him with my ex and she said he spoke perfectly throughout except once.

So do you use vos, or tu? Hace, or haz, etc..?
I think its much more complicated that "using" these "words". Speaking River Plate Spanish means speaking with a very different set of cadence, rhythm and stress patterns compared to other varieties of Spanish. It's a slippery slope. Come to Buenos Aires from elsewhere and its much more than a simple decision to slot in "vos" instead of "tu" or "hace" in place of "haz", or choose the River Plate "ll". Rather, you have to relearn almost all the most common second person informal verbs that the language contains, AND learn to speak with a different cadence, rhythm, and stress pattern.

Not to mention syntax; because Spanish syntax is much less important to meaning than English syntax (you can, for example, re-order the sentence "Buero no huye del moderno" at least four different ways without changing its meaning--a feat that is impossible in the most direct English translation), Spanish syntax patterns respond to style and regional variation. So, if you want to speak like a porteño, you also have to really listen for a long time to pick up the patterns that are common here but uncommon elsewhere. I think this, in part, is what we can admire in Dustin Luke.

An underlying issue is this: to speak like a porteño (as I say, much more than just a question of "accent") you can't help but tend to adopt the attitude that comes with speaking the Porteño way, and assume the risk that your friends elsewhere on the continent will turn their back on you or think about you differently. My associate here (who is Peruvian) tells the story of a Peruvian she observed (during a trip back to Lima a couple of years ago) in a Notary Public. It became apparent that the woman had been living for many years in Buenos Aires and had gone home to finalize her divorce. In the time she had been away, she had completely lost her Lima dialect and had learned to speak Porteño, with all the attitude that comes with it. Suffice to say, her Porteño dialect and attitude got her nowhere trying have her demands met by the staff of the notary office; she might have been better reverting to her original dialect and manners, but, I suppose, was unaware of much they had changed during her absence in Buenos Aires.

Back