For those of you who are fluent..how good or bad is your Castellano accent?

Perhaps you know about a class on DialectoTumbero Argentino...?
Like in El Marginal on Netflix? That's my gold standard Porteño language reference. But it's not just the language, posho cashe, fasha I can adapt to, more or less, but my brain freezes at concepts, like "obra social" which is helpfully translated as "social work" as a deduction on my salary slip. I mean, wtf?

Like in El Marginal on Netflix? That's my gold standard Porteño language reference. But it's not just the language, posho cashe, fasha I can adapt to, more or less, but my brain freezes at concepts, like "obra social" which is helpfully translated as "social work" as a deduction on my salary slip. I mean, wtf?

Would you be happier if they called it "robo sinverguenza" ?

Would you be happier if they called it "robo sinverguenza" ?
Well, once I understood what it means I was able to divert it to a health insurance policy from OSDE which is apparently not an “obra social” but a “prepaga”, it was a painful process but never mind. It’s actually useful.

There are other, less controversial, linguistic traps as well, for example cabotaje doesn’t mean what any non-Argentinian would expect. I would never recommend to anyone to learn Spanish here in Argentina, it’s not just the accent, there’s a whole lot of unjustifiable baggage that comes with the dialect here.

Well, once I understood what it means I was able to divert it to a health insurance policy from OSDE which is apparently not an “obra social” but a “prepaga”, it was a painful process but never mind. It’s actually useful.

There are other, less controversial, linguistic traps as well, for example cabotaje doesn’t mean what any non-Argentinian would expect. I would never recommend to anyone to learn Spanish here in Argentina, it’s not just the accent, there’s a whole lot of unjustifiable baggage that comes with the dialect here.

Entirely true

I used to trade English/Spanish with a Spanish teacher friend, an Argentina. She berated me for speaking Castellano, wanting to teach me proper Spanish, but I have no plans to live in Spain, and I enjoy the nuances of Porteño Spanish.

What is very funny to me is when new acquaintances ask my wife if I speak Spanish, when I'm standing right next to her. Of course, I always answer for her, "Porque no pregunta a mi?"

Why is Spanish from Spain "proper Spanish?" What is Spanish from every Spanish-speaking country in Latin America?

Why is Spanish from Spain "proper Spanish?" What is Spanish from every Spanish-speaking country in Latin America?

What is Poteño ?
Barra Brava Spanish ? the Spanish of the Tumberos, teenagers Spanish?
If you will live here you should learn the Spanish spoken at the Congreso..? Whatever that is? Prepare yourself to address Congress..!

Many many Anglos I've met can read and understand spoken Spanish but average people can't understand their spoken Spanish.
Need to work with a Phonetics Expert --!

It's not, the same way that English from the UK is not "proper English." The "place of origin" theory doesn't make sense from the viewpoint of Linguistics/Philology, since following that logic, Spanish from Spain is just really bad Vulgar Latin.

My wife learned Latin American Spanish and couldn't understand "proper Spanish" in Spain..!

My wife learned Latin American Spanish and couldn't understand "proper Spanish" in Spain..!

The "proper name" of what you call "proper Spanish" is actually Iberian or Peninsular Spanish/Castilian. And it is also not a single dialect, but a name that refers to the dialects spoken in Spain (there are at least 7). It is not just Argentineans that have the problem you describe - a person from Málaga who speaks Andalusian Spanish has a hard time making themselves understood in Madrid too. The dialects are very different.

Back