Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

I’m being the guineapig of the week. Just made a small purchase with my UK mastercard. As expected, still official rate. My theory is that authorisation will always be like that but the settlement (usually occurs between a few hours to few days from purchase) may be on a better rate. Waiting.
I'm guinea pigging right alongside you with my Canadian Mastercard. Made a mini purchase at Farmacity for 420 ARS on Sunday night (12/4), which is now pending at the official rate: 3.38 CAD. Will check back in with the results :)

Automatic Google Translation of entire article:
5 December 2022 by Maria Juliet Rumi
The dollar card for tourists began to work, although it has not yet had an impact on consumption and the exchange rate will be lower than announced. Mastercard communicated that the transactions carried out since last Friday will be reached, although the benefit would only be seen in the next few days; the exchange rate is initially $297; Visa has not implemented it yet...

nice, so now we have also a Dolar MC and a Dolar Visa too. that makes what, 22 different change rates?
4088.jpg

Sounds about right considering the other ones

nice, so now we have also a Dolar MC and a Dolar Visa too. that makes what, 22 different change rates?
I wouldn’t worry remembering it. It’s not going to work anyway. My test purchase has just been settled at the official rate.
Stillborn improvement.

I wouldn’t worry remembering it. It’s not going to work anyway. My test purchase has just been settled at the official rate.
Stillborn improvement.
It's probably a lost cause but can you report back here if there's a difference price on your card statement?

I started getting partial refunds back for purchases with my Apple Card (MasterCard) using the physical card and also as a Maercado Pago funding source. The exchange rate ended up being 297 ARS to 1 USD.
What was one of the days and one of the exchange rates? I'm curious to compare it against the MEP of the day itself and the blue/WU; my guess is there is still a sizable incentive to do anything except give the BCRA dollars

Back