Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

Jaja, sure. But then again, the dolar Qatar has been the law of the land for several weeks and banks still have issues charging the "right" amount. This new exchange rate would be even more difficult to implemente as it would require both VISA/MC/AMEX and the int'l banks to coordinate the "new" exchange rate. What would the reference value be?

P.S. Don't get me wrong I hope it's implemented soon, I would love to be able to use my Chase Sapphire Reserve down here.
It might be easier to implement since it only involves the card issuers, not the banks. I guess it would work something like the Uruguayan VAT rebate, at the point of sale? We will have visitors in early December so if nobody else reports by then we can find out. Reports from volunteer permanent residents and citizens with undeclared foreign credit cards would be very welcome :)

on Friday I'll test it out when I go to Carrefour and let you guys know; I doubt I'll be able to do the cashback, but if I can get juice and 15K for $292/dollar this might be a good option for ad-hoc peso needs

It might be easier to implement since it only involves the card issuers, not the banks. I guess it would work something like the Uruguayan VAT rebate, at the point of sale? We will have visitors in early December so if nobody else reports by then we can find out. Reports from volunteer permanent residents and citizens with undeclared foreign credit cards would be very welcome :)
who said one must declare foreign credit cards? :)

Good point, so it would likely be a % share discount from the official exchange rate most likely linked to the card issuer.

It might be easier to implement since it only involves the card issuers, not the banks.
Actually that is not entirely true. The conversion can be done by VISA/MC/AMEX but usually the exchange rates are horrible as they charge a hefty commission. Hence when I use my US credit card abroad, issued by Chase, I always select "pay in local currency" as Chase gives me more or less the spot XE. Anyway, I guess we just need to wait and see what happens in the next couple of days.

¿Qué pasa con los argentinos que tienen tarjetas emitidas en el exterior?
Si pagan con tarjetas del exterior, tienen el mismo beneficio.

¿Qué pasa con los argentinos con doble nacionalidad?
Si pagan con una tarjeta del exterior, adquieren el mismo beneficio.

Why do argie citizens have privileges vis-a-vis permanent residents...? Wrong....

Apparently it does.

Ok well you give it a try and let us know.
Thanks

"Se trata del nuevo dólar turista para extranjeros, que funcionará para cualquier gasto que un visitante no residente realice con una tarjeta de débito y crédito emitidos por una entidad financiera del exterior. A grandes rasgos, le reconocerá al turista el doble de pesos que en la actualidad."

Back