Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

On the side of consumer controls, the data will be cross-checked with the Immigration authorities to verify that cardholders are really non-residents and not Argentines who have just taken out a credit card in Uruguay.
Good luck getting a credit card in UY as a non-resident.

On the side of consumer controls, the data will be cross-checked with the Immigration authorities to verify that cardholders are really non-residents and not Argentines who have just taken out a credit card in Uruguay.
Oops. Fun while it lasted!

yeah, i know it says that but i think they are bluffing. it would be next to impossible to do it just by name.

Disappointing that residents are left out. I'm not sure why the government cares from who the dollars are coming from. Are they afraid of further inflation?

I wasn't planning on using this much, but in all the years I've been here I've only used my American credit card once at a local shop because of how awful the exchange rate is (and that was like a decade ago when the difference between blue and official was something like 4.3 to 4.7, not the 100% difference we have today.)

The BA Times article states as well....The Central Bank published the measure in Thursday’s edition of the Official Gazette and it took effect Friday.

I just checked on their website and could not find said publication?
Edition: 4 Nov 2022

Also let me cool down everyone's expectations. Since it seems those transaction would go thru VISA/MC/AMEX's networks the exchange rate would likely be around 95% of the MEP (after their cut) or about 275/280...as of today but let's see. Still better than nothing....

i've never understood the fretting about a few pesos here or there. if i'm getting 275 instead of 300, that's more than good enough for me to access a system that works automatically. especially because of how fortunate we are to even be in a position to do so.

YES....it is not about the "origin" of the card. Example: at Coto, the cashiers are required to ask for "ID" (be it a DNI or a foreign passport) when payment is made with a local or foreign credit/debit card. A receipt of the sale as well as a separate slip is printed out. The customer fills out and signs it authorizing the merchant to bill the card company.
Is this only the case for physical card? I’ve never been asked to show ID when paying with a foreign CC via Apple Pay (I’ve only ever done this when I’ve ran out of cash)

Is this only the case for physical card? I’ve never been asked to show ID when paying with a foreign CC via Apple Pay (I’ve only ever done this when I’ve ran out of cash)
In the years when the parallel rate did not exist, I used my credit card often. Before I had a DNI as a tourist. Coto and others always asked for ID. I would show my US state license, or my passport "card" which both have meaningless numbers. The USA credit card companies certainly do not use this for authorization.

Back