Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

Have been getting between 920 and 980 pesos per dollar using a US-issued Visa this week and last. Sometimes it seems a little more, like a couple of days ago a posted transaction for 37k pesos even came out at $37.72. For the ease of not having to dig out tons of bills, I am happy with the rate.

Have been getting between 920 and 980 pesos per dollar using a US-issued Visa this week and last. Sometimes it seems a little more, like a couple of days ago a posted transaction for 37k pesos even came out at $37.72. For the ease of not having to dig out tons of bills, I am happy with the rate.
Confused ..seems different stores have different rates, even up to 1000 pesos per dollar...! God Bless ...

I'll share some thoughts based on my recent experience regarding recent questions/comments:

Amex: I only have an Argentine Amex card, and I can use it basically anywhere, though cashiers are sometimes confused as I have a black card and I guess it's rare here (a few have asked if it's a special kind of card as it's the first time they've seen it). I believe all POS systems are required to take all non department store cards, i.e. Amex, Naranja, old BNA Nativa cards and Maestro debit, but cards such as CMR/Tarjeta Carrefour (both no longer issued) were subject to acceptance agreements since they were originally designed to be used in Easy/Jumbo/Carrefour and at select partner companies, not widespread like Visa/MC/Amex. I also think this is why Carrefour has moved to Mastercard in Argentina, and nobody wanted to keep the CMR brand when Falabella left (iirc Banco Columbia Argentina took over CMR and forced the members to convert their cards to Visa or MC)

For Compras Sin IVA, I think it depends on how AFIP codes the CUIT of the business. I have been able to get flat 21% refunds on items that have no IVA. For example, I had to spend 100K on medication at Farmacity and got almost 21K back (whatever the limit is) despite not buying food. I also got a refund on take away prepared food which shouldn't be eligible, but it's too convoluted to enforce which is why I believe that it depends on CUIT. The bodega next to me is principally a verduria, but he sells everything from cleaning supplies to wine and beer and as long as you pay with debit you'll get a flat 21% refund

For foreign cards, I just bought lunch and got $917.97 per dollar on my visa which is inline with about a 7% discount off of the MEP price at closing on Friday

Confused ..seems different stores have different rates, even up to 1000 pesos per dollar...! God Bless ...
I forgot to mention some places want to add 10 or 15% for using the MercadoPago CC machines, while others seem to just eat the cost and don’t add any extra %. Completely varies.

I think confusion comes from people reporting stuff wrongly. The rates are published every day on visa/mastercard website. The store can't choose the rate your card issuer will use.
I forgot to mention some places want to add 10 or 15% for using the MercadoPago CC machines, while others seem to just eat the cost and don’t add any extra %. Completely varies.
If they want to add 10-15% the only way they can do that is to increase the price in pesos before you make the transaction. In no way can they alter the exchange rate your card issuer uses.

Just made a purchase of 24000 $ with my cap one Master debit card, was U$S 22,82 or 1051 pesos per dollar. not bad at all.

I just made a purchase on my Canadian VISA for 18,800 and came to $23.64 CAD. I am happy with that exchange for the convenience.

For Compras Sin IVA, I think it depends on how AFIP codes the CUIT of the business. I have been able to get flat 21% refunds on items that have no IVA. For example, I had to spend 100K on medication at Farmacity and got almost 21K back (whatever the limit is) despite not buying food. I also got a refund on take away prepared food which shouldn't be eligible, but it's too convoluted to enforce which is why I believe that it depends on CUIT. The bodega next to me is principally a verduria, but he sells everything from cleaning supplies to wine and beer and as long as you pay with debit you'll get a flat 21% refund
Just so there is no confusion, the VAT exemption benefit was terminated on Dec 31st 2023.

Back