Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

This MEP rate for foreign cards will include when taking pesos out of los cajeros automáticos, too? Or no?

That's a good question
Yeah, I’ve tried to see that specifically addressed in any of these news articles I’m reading, but haven’t yet… I’m not back in Argentina until December, otherwise I would test it out.

how would they even know whether someone is a resident or not using a foreign card?
Your name will be on the transaction, which will, I assume, be visible to AFIP, who could then look your details up in Migraciones' or RENAPER's databases. You generally also have to show ID. Let's see how it works in practice. It sounds too good to be true, there must be a catch somewhere.

So...If I go into my friendly tienda....and give him my card....he charges me $100 on the card....gives me the current conversion rate in cash minus a service charge.....he gets the 292 from the government....and a new system of money transfer is started????????

Ok well you give it a try and let us know.
Thanks

"Se trata del nuevo dólar turista para extranjeros, que funcionará para cualquier gasto que un visitante no residente realice con una tarjeta de débito y crédito emitidos por una entidad financiera del exterior. A grandes rasgos, le reconocerá al turista el doble de pesos que en la actualidad."
Ah well, it is a tad confusing isn't it. Vamos a ver.

Your name will be on the transaction, which will, I assume, be visible to AFIP, who could then look your details up in Migraciones' or RENAPER's databases. You generally also have to show ID. Let's see how it works in practice. It sounds too good to be true, there must be a catch somewhere.
What if you used your passport as ID rather than the DNI? I would think good ol' Massa would like to see this work without a bunch of snags.

not true, these transaction do NOT go thru AFIP.

Back