Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

Say, you are in the business of selling short-term loans to the public, giving them pieces of plastic that fit into their wallets. Somebody wants to spend 3000 peso. He can owe you 20 dollars (official rate) or 10 dollars (MEP rate). Which one would you prefer?
You can have a big slice of a smaller cake, or a smaller slice of a bigger cake. To answer your question, it depends on the size of the cake, doesn't it?

Yesterday I was at a large COTO store on Av. Santa Fe x Av. Scalabrini Ortiz. I noticed a sign at the self-checkout machines...."foreign credit/debit cards are currently not accepted at these stations". I asked the person in charge if they can be used at the cash registers. "Yes....
but we have had complaints from customers that the exchange rate applied was not being converted to the MEP value. Most of them came
back with the goods and the sales were reversed at their request".

Yesterday I was at a large COTO store on Av. Santa Fe x Av. Scalabrini Ortiz. I noticed a sign at the self-checkout machines...."foreign credit/debit cards are currently not accepted at these stations". I asked the person in charge if they can be used at the cash registers. "Yes....
but we have had complaints from customers that the exchange rate applied was not being converted to the MEP value. Most of them came
back with the goods and the sales were reversed at their request".
What a shitshow, this just makes Argentina look bad. La Nación had an article about this on Thursday:

Surprise receipts: Annoyance among tourists for the dollar card in Argentina as foreigners who visit the country and use credit/debit continue to receive the official exchange rate.

It's incredible how inept Alberto's government is. It's like the Elon Musk of countries; we'll have Full Self Driving Teslas and Dollar tarjeta MEP in like 2088

Back