Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

Hello quick question, probably dumb one but you still get the mep rate in the duty free shops no?

The duty free shops will charge you in dollars .... Best to take cash !

Hello quick question, probably dumb one but you still get the mep rate in the duty free shops no?
I bought stuff at the duty free shop in Iguazu, and can confirm they charge you in pesos at the official rate.

The prices are expressed in dollars, but when you go to pay they charge you in pesos.

Then if you oay with you foreign card, you’ll get the normal rate your bank gets.

I bought stuff at the duty free shop in Iguazu, and can confirm they charge you in pesos at the official rate.

The prices are expressed in dollars, but when you go to pay they charge you in pesos.

Then if you oay with you foreign card, you’ll get the normal rate your bank gets.
is the following correct:
1. you see the price, say USD 1,000,
2. go to checkout they charge you ARS 252,000 official rate (252 today),
3. but you card gets charged about USD 550 (turista rate is 457, VISA is roughly following it)

if that's correct, it sounds like the scam loophole that was popular during the first days of "MEP" rate on foreign cards back in January

3. but you card gets charged about USD 550 (turista rate is 457, VISA is roughly following it)

if that's correct, it sounds like the scam loophole that was popular during the first days of "MEP" rate on foreign cards back in January
Yes, exactly. I just posted another thread about it too.

that's how the whole thing is meant to work. the scam in the beginning was people outside the country changing the billing currency to pesos if I recall.

I noticed a big increase in the strength of the dollar. Today it hit 535 to $1 US but using my foreign credit card today I still only got 468 to $1 US while charging today at a restaurant. The Dolar Turista hit 498 to $1 US today but I'm wondering why the rates are so slow to catch up?

I noticed a big increase in the strength of the dollar. Today it hit 535 to $1 US but using my foreign credit card today I still only got 468 to $1 US while charging today at a restaurant. The Dolar Turista hit 498 to $1 US today but I'm wondering why the rates are so slow to catch up?
“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”

— Napoleon Bonaparte

In other words, by delaying the increase, they're padding their profits at our expense. Capiche?

Back