Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

I'm 99.99% certain the answer to this is a big, fat, resounding, NO, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask....does anyone have experience using Discover here in BA, and also receiving the MEP rate? The reason I ask is that I have a Discover cash back card that gives me 5% cash back in a predetermined spending category that rotates on a quarterly basis. The spending category for Q1 2024 is restaurants, so it'd be pretty sweet to find a few local restaurants that take Discover and get a little extra money back. But obviously it's moot if no one accepts Discover and/or Discover still processes transactions at the official rate.
I don't have one, but maybe make a small test purchase and see? Then you can know for sure before going to Don Julio ;)

To my knowledge it's only Visa and MC. Please illustrate me.

If I happen to stumble into a restaurant that takes Discover / Diner's Club sometime soon, I'll take Quilombo's advice and buy a cheap empanada and report back here with the exchange rate I received.

To my knowledge it's only Visa and MC. Please illustrate me.
And also Amex, I understand. The preferential rate isn't restricted to North American cards, we've had reports of European card (and my non-US, non-EU MC) all working the same way.

Reportedly, Visa reimburses immediately (or just uses the preferential rate with no apparent reimbursement procedures), MC can take a few days, and Amex takes days/weeks/months. The topic has been done to death here really. Diner's Club hasn't figured in any of the reports, though.

And also Amex, I understand. The preferential rate isn't restricted to North American cards, we've had reports of European card (and my non-US, non-EU MC) all working the same way.

Reportedly, Visa reimburses immediately (or just uses the preferential rate with no apparent reimbursement procedures), MC can take a few days, and Amex takes days/weeks/months. The topic has been done to death here really. Diner's Club hasn't figured in any of the reports, though.

Didn't mean to beat a dead horse, sorry. I did search this thread for the word "Discover" before posting, and only found two short posts from February. Wasn't sure if something might have changed in the last 10 months. The reason I mentioned Diner's Club is because Discover cards are typically accepted anywhere that accepts Diner's Club.

Discover claims on their website that merchant acceptance is "high" in Argentina, which I doubt, but I haven't really paid attention since I use my Visa everywhere. Anyways, asked and answered I guess - I'll be the Discover guinea pig if a test opportunity arises.

Last edited:

Maybe AMEX is accepted at fancy restos, but I fail to see, at regular cafes, the AMEX sign posted. Only VISA and MC

At 6 P.M. I made a visa purchase and paid 1037 pesos/dollar debited. Just to try it. If I figured it right...that is better than W.U. Cronista is 980/1000

Last edited:
At 6 P.M. I made a visa purchase and paid 1037 pesos/dollar debited. Just to try it. If I figured it right...that is better than W.U. Cronista is 980/1000
That is weird because here it says 933

I'm 99.99% certain the answer to this is a big, fat, resounding, NO, but figured it doesn't hurt to ask....does anyone have experience using Discover here in BA, and also receiving the MEP rate? The reason I ask is that I have a Discover cash back card that gives me 5% cash back in a predetermined spending category that rotates on a quarterly basis. The spending category for Q1 2024 is restaurants, so it'd be pretty sweet to find a few local restaurants that take Discover and get a little extra money back. But obviously it's moot if no one accepts Discover and/or Discover still processes transactions at the official rate.
I think I read a while back someone confirming that Discover did work. It's processed via the Diners Club network. Just give it a try, get an appetizer or a glass of wine and update us, but also make sure it covers international restaurants, not just US restaurants.

I think I read a while back someone confirming that Discover did work. It's processed via the Diners Club network. Just give it a try, get an appetizer or a glass of wine and update us, but also make sure it covers international restaurants, not just US restaurants.
I'm in BA right now and gonna try it and report back so we can get some data points...

--since now the official rate is much closer to the MEP rate, it's not too bad a rate if it doesn't work.

Back