Foreigners Cannot Buy Travel In Pesos??

No they are not. As I see it, Argentines are effectively hoarding dollars, since it is their best option at saving. The dollar loses almost no value over time compared to everything else. You get more pesos for it over time. There are no dollars flowing in (except from naive tourists). What I fail to see is how "milking" the tourists would make them spend more. Let us not think about the future, let us just try to grab what we can now.
its posts like this that remind me i should not take opinions about macro economics on this board seriously. the misconceptions are simply too great to overcome. sorry for the rant. carry on guys.

its posts like this that remind me i should not take opinions about macro economics on this board seriously. the misconceptions are simply too great to overcome. sorry for the rant. carry on guys.
Goodbye, Einstein.

I was not answering a question, just commenting that I think the goverment's approach to get the dollars will not work.

No they are not sounds like a response to a question, anyway, I agree, it probably won't. However their objective is correct and it is certainly correct for tourists and locals to have the same price for services with an accepted ex rate for the peso against international currencies. I also believe that pesification of the economy is the correct thing to do, albeit I could not tell you how it should happen. It is very dangerous to have a major internal market (housing) to be governed by a currency you have no control over (dollars). In a (fantasy unicorn world) all Arg transactions would be in pesos and dollars would be another currency available on the local forex market. Their appeal would be stability and the usual things that dollar buyers look for, as opposed to having a black market based access to lower prices for goods & services. Again, no idea how it can be achieved long term without pain.

you seem upset. apologies if my comment affected you so deeply. your rants, insults or misconceptions, simply have no real value in this conversation. but its really not that serious. carry on johnny.
Looking forward to when one day - perhaps - you learn a little national economics. In the mean time, check my ignore list.

But then shouldn't all tourists be excluded the 21% V.A,T. for tourist services (hotels.tours etc) ?

Chile does exactly that under the legal fiction that this is "for export," but in Argentina foreigners often end up paying more than locals.

Maybe you misread my post sleuth. I never said it was aimed at permatourists. I said the permatourists on this board are the ones complaining. Obviously the government is doing this to close loop holes for the people trying to get free lunches. I agree with this move. That is all.

It's not a free lunch. It WAS a 30% off lunch, for a meal that was 70% as good as meals we find elsewhere.

Back