Foreigners Cannot Buy Travel In Pesos??

apparently you dont understand the concept. I did find your joke funny though.
HurrjOo.gif

So what is this thread about exactly?

jackbower is right, most people complaining about this on here are permatourists.

Dublin2BuenosAires is right, the government wants to get more dollars into Central Bank reserves.

Others are right, this joke of a scheme is not going to work. (I think it will drive more capital out of the country and also that the government is pi$$ing up the wrong tree if they're trying to stop capital outflow).

No one disagrees with anyone yet there's people upset at each other? :confused:

If travel agents could sell dollars income in the black market, how could they enter this illegal revenue in their accounting ledgers ... I wonder?
If they are allowed to accept pesos, what stops them from entering a cash dollar payment as if it were in pesos, change it at the blue rate, and keep the surplus off the books as non-taxable income, for example. But even now, can't they take any dollar profits off the top as cash been generated from the business, take it out of the business and keep it, or change it at the blue rate? What I'm suggesting is that now that a non-peso income has been established, it is vulnerable to other government interference, such as being obligated to immediately convert all tourist income to pesos through legal channels.

That was my idea anyway, but I also now see what Sleuth is saying - it could just be a way to try to take some business away from the arbolitos.

I think RichOne's interpretation of the BCRA Decree here is a bit off. It's just so easy to get lost in the atrocious run-on sentences that one sees in Spanish...

From the decree (text in bold for clarity):

El acceso al mercado local de cambios por parte de empresas de transporte y turismo local para la compra de divisas para la atención de servicios vendidos a viajeros no residentes de a) pasajes internacionales y/o de tramos en países del exterior, y B) de ser servicios turísticos en el país y en el exterior, estará condicionado a que el cobro de tales prestaciones por la empresa local interviniente, esté efectuado con tareta de credito y/o débito emitidas en el exterior, transferencias de divisas desde el exterior, cheques sobre cuentas en el exterior, y/o billetes en moneda extranjera.

It doesn't say that all tourists have to pay for everything using dollars they brought from abroad. It says that companies can only ACCESS the local FX market (because the BCRA will have to front the USD initially, whether the card is national or foreign) if a non-resident pays with a foreign card.

In other words, if a foreigner is paying for something that doesn't require a company to request foreign currency from the Central Bank, then they can pay in pesos -- no matter where they obtained them -- without a problem.

I think RichOne's interpretation of the BCRA Decree here is a bit off. It's just so easy to get lost in the atrocious run-on sentences that one sees in Spanish...

It doesn't say that all tourists have to pay for everything using dollars they brought from abroad. It says that companies can only ACCESS the local FX market (because the BCRA will have to front the USD initially, whether the card is national or foreign) if a non-resident pays with a foreign card.

In other words, if a foreigner is paying for something that doesn't require a company to request foreign currency from the Central Bank, then they can pay in pesos -- no matter where they obtained them -- without a problem.

Finally a clear and sensical explanation!!!

Your Interpretation is valid , time will tell if you are you are correct....?

Firstly All tourists are non-residents. truism..!! and are affected by the BCRA Decree

The Decree states the tourist services as in a. and b. that should be paid with foreign CC, foreign currency, or foreign checks, by all non-residents-
  1. Item a) " all international tickets and/or travel connecting flights abroad. Obvious...!
  2. Item b)Tourist services "in Argentina" or "abroad" ( Item b. is where the :rolleyes: face is...
in b)Tourist services abroad obvious like car rentals o yacht rentals or Eurailpass..!

in b)Tourist Services in Argentina....?? why do they mention this, a mistake...?? no foreign exchange required to be sent abroad...! The intent is to STOP tourists from cashing at the Arbolitos and benefit from the Blue rate.... at hotels etc.

You may choose to ignore the first part of item b. Tourist services in Argentina....! Its your choice...!

Back