Foreigners (Tourists & Non-Res) Cannot Use Ars For Travel

I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant but it looks like (proper use of italics??) the two documents below, when read together, say that residents, whether Argentinean citizens or not, are supposed to pay the taxes on worldwide assets.

The first one, cited above by John.St, seems to say that the issue is where you are domiciled, because the only two categories are people domiciled in the country and those domiciled abroad.

The second document cited below seems to say that if you take permanent residence, or if you are in Argentina for more than 270 days a year, you are a resident.

If there is a lawyer or accountant, or anyone who knows for sure, it would be great to hear from them.

http://www.afip.gob....h/about.asp#tax
Personal Property Tax

For the purposes of this section:

The tax law recognizes two categories of taxable persons and establishes the tax liability in two different ways

a)​

Natural persons domiciled in the country and estates located in said country for the assets located in the country and abroad
B)

Natural persons domiciled abroad and estates located abroad for the assets located within the country

http://www.afip.gob....Information.asp

When a natural person resides in Argentina

According to the tax legislation, a resident is:

webkit-fake-url://59E7F440-BAA4-41E5-9AC3-AB00B5285633/pastedGraphic.pdf
An Argentine person, native or naturalized, except for those who lost their resident status
webkit-fake-url://59E7F440-BAA4-41E5-9AC3-AB00B5285633/pastedGraphic_1.pdf
Aliens who obtained their permanent resident status in the country or who have legally been in the country for twelve months due to temporary authorizations. In this regard, temporary absences for less than 90 days, within every 12 months-period, shall not affect such permanence in the country. In addition, individual persons who do not obtain the permanent resident status and whose permanence in Argentina does not imply an intention of remaining in the territory shall explain the reasons for staying in the country. Said information shall be submitted to the AFIP within the first 30 days of the end of 12 months-period

When does the loss of permanent resident status occurs?

Natural persons, who have the resident status, will lose such status when they become permanent residents in a foreign state, or when they stay uninterruptedly in a foreign country for twelve (12) months.
When temporary stays do not exceed the 90 working or non working days, during every 12 months-period, the continuous stay abroad will not be interrupted.
In the case of uninterrupted stays, the individual persons who remain outside the country for reasons that do not imply that they will remain there, will be entitled to prove such circumstance before the Federal Administration of Public Revenue ( AFIP).

My personal experience from 7 years of dealing with taxes/accountants as a permanent resident in Argentina is that you are NOT required to pay taxes on any assets outside Argentine if you are NOT an Argentine citizen.

If you really want to know, you should seek a *qualified* accountant who has experience in international tax issues.

Personally, I would not base ANYTHING on an English translation provided by AFIP.

It's amazing to me that these upscale malls like Galeria Pacifica or Patios Bullrich stay in business. The prices are two to three times the price in Miami at the Blue Rate. If your forced to pay at the official rate then it is even worse. It is cheaper to fly to Miami for the a weekend shopping trip.

My personal experience from 7 years of dealing with taxes/accountants as a permanent resident in Argentina is that you are NOT required to pay taxes on any assets outside Argentine if you are NOT an Argentine citizen.

If you really want to know, you should seek a *qualified* accountant who has experience in international tax issues.

Personally, I would not base ANYTHING on an English translation provided by AFIP.

It's rather like reading menu translations. Once, at a Chinese restaurant in Congreso, I saw camarones a la plancha translated as "Ironed shrimps."

Another major travel agency that I am familiar with in BA just stopped selling travel for foreigners on Tuesday if they don't have a DNI. I haven't seen a new decree but someone is turning the screws... I don't see how a perma-tourist escapes it. Any other reports? (I'm selfishly happy to be a permanent resident right now).

I usually purchase airline tix from a travel agent in Uni Center with pesos. Yesterday they said I can no longer buy a ticket for my use in pesos without a DNI due to the central bank restrictions. It sounded like an agreement between the airline Delta and the central bank?

Any non-resident have luck purchasing int'l flights with pesos?

I usually purchase airline tix from a travel agent in Uni Center with pesos. Yesterday they said I can no longer buy a ticket for my use in pesos without a DNI due to the central bank restrictions. It sounded like an agreement between the airline Delta and the central bank?

Any non-resident have luck purchasing int'l flights with pesos?

THIS is exactly what the law was designed to prevent. Foreigners must pay with foreign currency or foreign credit cards.

THIS is exactly what the law was designed to prevent. Foreigners must pay with foreign currency or foreign credit cards.

So it will result in a minor reduction in capital flight. The Dutch boy is running out of fingers, though, and the polders will soon flood anyway.

but isn't the legal currency in argentina pesos? i can understand the internation flights, but buying a perfume, and having to pay in dollars is ridiculous, as well as paying hotels in USD! This is Argentina not the US!
PS: i have have my residency so this will not affect me, but I think its crap for the people that come visit on vacation!

Leaving the Perfume issue aside , that I never seen to happen on consumer goods ...? Hotels to my knowledge such as Sheraton until last month accepted payment in pesos from non residents, Such as room service menu, laundry, and other hotel charges. Its quite convenient

Yes, as I said, the Marriott operated hotel I used took pesos in December. No problem the law is meant to prevent the usage of pesos for things that will in turn need to be converted to any foreign currency. If you are a non resident, used to pay for something in pesos that was charged with the 20% extra, you will no longer be able to pay in pesos. It's not that big a deal anyway since the dollar with the new 35% extra is almost at the blue rate. We're really not losing much.

The English translation of Argentine tax legislation on the AFIP website is incorrect. The Spanish version reads as:

Conforme la ley de Impuesto a las Ganancias Argentina, los residentes tributan sobre la totalidad de sus ganancias. Los no residentes tributan exclusivamente sobre sus ganancias provenientes de fuente Argentina.

The correct translation would be: According to the Argentine Income Tax law, residents pay taxes on the totality of their earnings. Non-residents only pay taxes on earnings acquired in Argentina.

Residents are defined as anyone who is a citizen or living here as a permanent resident. Non-residents would be diplomatic staff, students, maybe expat employees (here for 5 years or less) based on my readings. Read the law here: http://infoleg.mecon.gov.ar/infolegInternet/anexos/40000-44999/44911/texact.htm

Back