Foreigners (Tourists & Non-Res) Cannot Use Ars For Travel

Yes, as I said, the Marriott operated hotel I used took pesos in December. No problem the law is meant to prevent the usage of pesos for things that will in turn need to be converted to any foreign currency. If you are a non resident, used to pay for something in pesos that was charged with the 20% extra, you will no longer be able to pay in pesos. It's not that big a deal anyway since the dollar with the new 35% extra is almost at the blue rate. We're really not losing much.

$6,67 x 1,35 equals $ 9,00 the offiicial rate plus 35% against $10,82 for the blue rate a difference of 20%....!!

I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant but it looks like (proper use of italics??) the two documents below, when read together, say that residents, whether Argentinean citizens or not, are supposed to pay the taxes on worldwide assets.

The first one, cited above by John.St, seems to say that the issue is where you are domiciled, because the only two categories are people domiciled in the country and those domiciled abroad.

The second document cited below seems to say that if you take permanent residence, or if you are in Argentina for more than 270 days a year, you are a resident.

The English translation of Argentine tax legislation on the AFIP website is incorrect. The Spanish version reads as:

The correct translation would be: According to the Argentine Income Tax law, residents pay taxes on the totality of their earnings. Non-residents only pay taxes on earnings acquired in Argentina.

Residents are defined as anyone who is a citizen or living here as a permanent resident. Non-residents would be diplomatic staff, students, maybe expat employees (here for 5 years or less) based on my readings. Read the law here: http://infoleg.mecon...4911/texact.htm
Itte seemse zatte zi Argentinozi no entiunnestande zi inglese anne zat zey notte nowwe sommoonno whoza dozze.

The English translation of Argentine tax legislation on the AFIP website is incorrect. The Spanish version reads as:

The correct translation would be: According to the Argentine Income Tax law, residents pay taxes on the totality of their earnings. Non-residents only pay taxes on earnings acquired in Argentina.

Residents are defined as anyone who is a citizen or living here as a permanent resident. Non-residents would be diplomatic staff, students, maybe expat employees (here for 5 years or less) based on my readings. Read the law here: http://infoleg.mecon...4911/texact.htm
So would you say a temporary resident waiting the 3 years for a permanent residency with a DNI is a resident or a non resident?

The English translation of Argentine tax legislation ...
Residents are defined as anyone who is a citizen or living here as a permanent resident. Non-residents would be diplomatic staff, students, maybe expat employees (here for 5 years or less) based on my readings. Read the law here: http://infoleg.mecon.gov.ar/infolegInternet/anexos/40000-44999/44911/texact.htm
Please read the whole law, art. 26 defines resident as the person who lives over 6 months per year.

So would you say a temporary resident waiting the 3 years for a permanent residency with a DNI is a resident or a non resident?

Before permanent resident you are a residente precario or irregular but always a resident because it means that you live here.

Yikes! Ever innovative Argentine guvnmnt allways finds a way to accumulate Dollars in a hurry.
When Iam getting ready to travel, now this minor but somewhat beneficial for me, He,he,heee
Dollar Blue, no longer any good for new arriving to BsAs travellers to enhance our mighty once Dollar.

Well, even at 6.5 at the official rate is no use for us, now that every incoming tourists
( The real ones ) Not the _perma tourists_ has to pay everything there in Dollars cash or foreign CC !

So this means all those whom lives by the Blue exchange in order to doin' the perma tourist life,no longer can take advantage of the Blue? Oh well, I have to be resigned to use my CC and no need to bring wad of green backs then? Any comments ?

Please read the whole law, art. 26 defines resident as the person who lives over 6 months per year.

I've read the law. Have you read my posts? My comments were not regarding the legal requirements of being a resident here, but I imagine people thank you for providing the extra details. In fact, my response was to clarify the poor/ambiguous translation (of the following) on the AFIP website:

According to the Argentine Income Tax Law, Argentine citizens must pay income tax for their global income. Non-Argentinean residents must pay the tax only for the income obtained in Argentina.

Conforme la ley de Impuesto a las Ganancias Argentina, los residentes tributan sobre la totalidad de sus ganancias. Los no residentes tributan exclusivamente sobre sus ganancias provenientes de fuente Argentina.

Well, i was critizicing your definition of resident.

The law makes a difference between the income made in Argentina and abroad regarding residents.
It is not cleat to me what are the consequences because for that, it is needed to study the law, the precedents, the opinión of the lawyers of afip and of an accountant. However, there is a rule against double taxation. I also read something about it in the law.

Why have the dozens of foreign tourists I have talked to over the past week all tell me that they have had no problem paying cash with pesos? I believe there may be exceptions with Uruguay boatlines and a few other places, but I still beleive the decree only applies to card purchases, not cash.

Yikes! Ever innovative Argentine guvnmnt allways finds a way to accumulate Dollars in a hurry.
When Iam getting ready to travel, now this minor but somewhat beneficial for me, He,he,heee
Dollar Blue, no longer any good for new arriving to BsAs travellers to enhance our mighty once Dollar.

Well, even at 6.5 at the official rate is no use for us, now that every incoming tourists
( The real ones ) Not the _perma tourists_ has to pay everything there in Dollars cash or foreign CC !

So this means all those whom lives by the Blue exchange in order to doin' the perma tourist life,no longer can take advantage of the Blue? Oh well, I have to be resigned to use my CC and no need to bring wad of green backs then? Any comments ?

I'm currently in San Martín de Los Andes, and paying for everything with pesos I purchased at 10 per dollar in Villa la Angostura.

Back