Forget Palermo - What are the Best Barrios for expats?

TheBlackHand said:
From your referencing of the " Alvear Palace " it seems you missed my meaning of " played out ". And yes it's a nice neighborhood. Just kinda played out. ;)

Yes I guess I missed your point.

Definition for played out:
Web definitions:
exhausted: drained of energy or effectiveness; extremely tired; completely exhausted

I referred to the area around the Alvear Palace as the term "Recoleta" is often used very loosely to cover areas that are not really Recoleta. Avenidas Alvear and Quintana, Posadas etc are in the heart of Recoleta and they are far from "drained of energy...." It's a very pleasant residential area, very walkable, cleaner than most and has always held its own. If you are looking for trendy bars, nightlife etc this is probably not the best part of town but, as I said, where to live depends on your personal tastes, needs and budget.

Recoleta is lovely, and so are most parts of Palermo. I am not particularly fond of the area around Plaza Italia. What makes me laugh sometimes - and this happens all over the world, is how neighborhoods tend to spread their boundaries outside of what they really are - but here is happens SO much. For example, I had a friend who wanted to visit Buenos Aires for a month and wanted to rent an apartment. Knowing him and his wife, I told him that he would be best off in Recoleta or Palermo Chico. So he started to look around on the internet, and found what seemed to be a nice place for a decent price. The advertisement read "Recoleta - 1bedroom, modern building, fully furnished, top of the line this and that, close to all, blah, blah". When I called the real estate agent and asked about it - it was on the corner of Av. Córdoba & Billinghurst", no where close to Recoleta of course and barely Barrio Norte - I told the real estate agent that this area was not Recoleta it was called "Facultad" and she hung up on me! Low and behold I found them a lovely apartment IN Recoleta, Las Heras & Puerredon - they loved it for the whole month they stayed!

This thread seems to focus only on CF. Well , my .02 cents : Olivos. Yes , it is BORING ! But super quite and I feel quite safe. I am 4 blocks from the TBA train , 1 block from Tren della Costa , have major colectivas nearby. Close to shopping , Unicenter , and most important , my sailing club. It is a Neighborhood !!! I know my local vendors , have a fabulous view of the river , and near my wife's friends & family. Not to mention her doctors , hair salon , etc.....

Certainly not the hustle / bustle activity noise tourists traffic closed roads subte no parking that is Belgrano/Recoleta/San Telmo/ etc....

Davidglen77 said:
The advertisement read "Recoleta - 1bedroom, modern building, fully furnished, top of the line this and that, close to all, blah, blah". When I called the real estate agent and asked about it - it was on the corner of Av. Córdoba & Billinghurst", no where close to Recoleta of course and barely Barrio Norte - !

The Barrio of Recoleta finishes at Ave. Cordoba, so this apartment would have been in Recoleta had it been on the Recoleta side of Cordoba.

Barrio Norte doesnt exist as a Barrio. Its like when people in London say "The West End"

Recoleta "fer sure" I'm one of those "people" that live in Recoleta, I'm "self employed" can walk to Centro or Plaza Francia , never use the car during the week. Major point for me Security, never walk at night other than on Ave. Santa Fe...!!
Have looked at rents in Villa Crespo or Abasto, the savings amount to $200 max.per month.

Cost of living is more expensive @ Recoleta than other also nice places BUT regarding personal safety, some "colorful characters" aka "fieritas" will look out of place a mile away. Easily spotted and avoided if your radar is switched on.

I'm done with Recoleta, spent almost 30 years there. If you are a resident Caballito is a good option, better and safer than Almagro.

Colegiales and Chacarita are quieter and have a more neighbourhood vibe than other parts of the city...but they're a short walk away from Belgrano and Palermo Hollywood.

I love Saavedra, Nunez, Coghlan and Belgrano (the residential half).
In coghlan or belgrano r I can walk to Juramento and Cramer and Cabildo which are my favorite areas of the city, and it's super quiet but you can get to the center super fast in the train.

One thing I think is weird is the real estate agents trying to sell Saavedra now, and just like how Barrio Parque is Palermo Chico, they have named Saavedra "Bajo Nunez."

Colegiales, Villa Urquiza, Devoto. I live in Villa Pueyrredon, and it's the most tranquilo.

Back