Forget Palermo - What are the Best Barrios for expats?

earlyretirement said:
Palermo and Recoleta are by far the nicest, most upscale and central neighborhoods of Buenos Aires.

I wouldn't have any desire to live in any other areas besides either of those two areas. Not to say there aren't safe and nice areas like Barrio Norte or Puerto Madero but for nice areas and being Central and availability for pretty much everything you need, IMHO nothing beats Recoleta or Palermo.

There are some REALLY nice areas of Belgrano also, but has less nightlife and other things that might be more interesting to expats and visitors than Palermo and Recoleta.

sleslie23 said:
There are some REALLY nice areas of Belgrano also, but has less nightlife and other things that might be more interesting to expats and visitors than Palermo and Recoleta.

Absolutely Belgrano is a beautiful neighborhood but it's just too far out for my taste and not nearly as convenient to me as Recoleta.

As anjuna11 mentioned, living in Recoleta is SO darn convenient. Tons of ATMs/banks, pharmacies, grocery stores, flower shops, restaurants and cafes, shopping, and just about anything else I need available around the clock.

If I want to head over to Puerto Madero it's not too far from Recoleta but from Belgrano that would really be a hike.

I have friends that live in Belgrano and they enjoy it but they mostly work from home.

I could care less about nightlife but it's all the other things that are so convenient to me.

Recoleta is over priced, filled with tourists and old people ( no offense to any old people ) and pretty much played out in my opinion. It's a nice place to go walk around for a day or two but I personally wouldn't live there.

Belgrano, Villa Crespo, Nunez, Colegiales are all really nice options. And the prices are still very reasonable.

Once a day I say to someone how much I love Las Cañitas. It's got everything from international and healthy food options, great grocery stores, night life, banks, buses, and close vicinity to the park, train station and subway. I'll be sad to leave when I have to.

When I lived in Recoleta it was on Arenales close to Junin. I rarely ventured deeper into Recoleta but often walked to El Centro via Arenales, Santa Fe, or Cordoba or to Palermo via Arenales, Juncal, or French. The buyers of my apartment were three sisters that were 25-30 years younger than me (so much for everyone being so much older there).

The last place I lived in in Capital Federal was in Nunez...just past Congreso which is the border with Belgrano. I was also two blocks from the end of the linea D of the subway. That meant I almost always got a seat on the way into the areas closer to the center.

I also lived in Palermo on Guise close to Blvd Charcas and the Bulnes station of linea D. I rode other line of the subte on occasion, usually linea C to San Telmo, and though I looked in many other areas, I never seriously considered living in an apartment that wasn't within four or five blocks of a station of linea D.

I really like Nunez. Especially the area just off of Libertador. One of the nicer less touristy neighborhoods i've been to.

steveinbsas said:
When I lived in Recoleta it was on Arenales close to Junin. I rarely ventured deeper into Recoleta but often walked to El Centro via Arenales, Santa Fe, or Cordoba or to Palermo via Arenales, Juncal, or French. The buyers of my apartment were three sisters that were 25-30 years younger than me (so much for everyone being so much older there).

The last place I lived in in Capital Federal was in Nunez...just past Congreso which is the border with Belgrano. I was also two blocks from the end of the linea D of the subway. That meant I almost always got a seat on the way into the areas closer to the center.

I also lived in Palermo on Guise close to Blvd Charcas and the Bulnes station of linea D. I rode other line of the subte on occasion, usually linea C to San Telmo, and though I looked in many other areas, I never seriously considered living in an apartment that wasn't within four or five blocks of a station of linea D.

I live in Congreso, and I am just fine with it. I don't think all expats could live here though. There is little english spoken, and most of the businesses in the area are not upscale. Things are changing though, and quickly. The prices of real estate here in the 2 years we have lived here have increased about 50%. Any new businesses that open are very nicely designed, and public transportation can't be beat. Almost every bus passes through here as well as the A and B subway lines. Prices for everything here, food, services, etc are a good 25% less than other barrios and we are in walking distance of San Telmo and Microcentro. We also have some of the best quality and fancy architecture in the entire city. If you are looking for an alternative neighborhood, this is still a good time to get in while the prices are somewhat reasonable.

Believe me, Recoleta is anything but"played out". Its going to remain a premier, if not the premier, neighborhood for a very long time, especially the area close to the Alvear Palace. I apply the same rule I would use in New York, London etc: whats the most atteactive, upscale and convenient part of town. Close to the micro center and Puerto Madero, it is super convenient. Lots of attractive belle epoque architcture, more police presence due to abundance of five star hotels and other prestigious establishments. Many amenities, cleaner streets, an international feel. I couldnt afford the same in London. Of course the end where to live is very personal and influenced by each person's personality, needs and budget.

From your referencing of the " Alvear Palace " it seems you missed my meaning of " played out ". And yes it's a nice neighborhood. Just kinda played out. ;)

chris said:
Believe me, Recoleta is anything but"played out". Its going to remain a premier, if not the premier, neighborhood for a very long time, especially the area close to the Alvear Palace. I apply the same rule I would use in New York, London etc: whats the most atteactive, upscale and convenient part of town. Close to the micro center and Puerto Madero, it is super convenient. Lots of attractive belle epoque architcture, more police presence due to abundance of five star hotels and other prestigious establishments. Many amenities, cleaner streets, an international feel. I couldnt afford the same in London. Of course the end where to live is very personal and influenced by each person's personality, needs and budget.

I'm not going to claim it's "the nicest neighbourhood for expats", but my vote's still on something between, and including, San Telmo and Microcentro.

Back