Fox News Bill O'reilly In Trouble For Falklands War Report

There had been a real threat across the Andes just a couple of years before. The fact that the threat never made a reality makes it easier for us to judge or criticize that decision, but the truth is that it'd have been maniac to leave the Southern provinces without protection.

That is a case where the Argentine military started believing on its own propaganda. The idea that there was a "threat across the Andes" is ridiculous at best. After the defeat at the Falklands, the Argentine military collapsed upon itself. The entire institution broke down and Argentina was at its most vulnerable state. Did Chilean troops take advantage of this opportunity to come rolling across the Andes back then? Nope. Because they never represented any threat. If anything, it had been Argentina who had been threatening Chile with an invasion for decades, not the other way around. But it seems that at some point during the process, the Argentine high command started believing on its own bullshit propaganda to justify the hostilities towards Chile and made some very poor strategic decisions based on that. They where blinded by their own lies.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume for a moment that the Chilean threat was real. In this case, it was obvious that Argentina lacked enough troops qualified and equipped to hold both the Andes and the Falklands. Therefore, instead of sending vast amounts of ill equipped and poorly trained troops to the islands to serve no other purpose as of being targets, the focus should have been entirely on using the air force and the navy to try to prevent the landing of the British Marines in the islands, with the understanding that if they landed, the war was pretty much over. Instead, the Argentine high command chose deliberately to send its most green and poorly equipped troops to a region that they were completely unfamiliar with and unprepared for, to face highly trained, well paid Royal Marines who were equipped with night vision goggles, electric heated jackets and laser guided shoulder launched missiles.
Military circles call this situation an "unattainable strategic position" and on on a military academy, they teach at some introductory course in military strategy that one should never send your troops into a situation of unattainable strategic position.

The reality is that the Argentine military in 1982 entered a war of choice over the Falklands, knowing that bulk of their forces had to stay in the Andes to prevent an invasion that never happened and that was never planned to happen, and instead opted to sent unqualified troops to the islands into an impossible situation that they had no hopes of winning.
It is no wonder that your military imploded upon itself after the war and the morale has never recovered after 30+ years. When commanding officers betray their own men like that, it is a symptom of an institution completely corrupted and rotten to the core, where even the most sacred bonds between commanding officers and their men don't mean jack shit. The Argentine military showed complete disregard towards the lives not only of the civilian population, but of its own men, who shared the same uniform as themselves. Such institutions can never win anything. The war was lost before it ever began.

Reactions: ben
When I was in Ushuaia in 1979, shortly after the near-war between Argentina and Chile, the milicos had plastered posters all over the city with the phrase "Nunca cederemos lo nuestro," so they had showed their cowardice against a serious opponent well before the Falklands. That's even though, as a French diplomat told me at the time, "Chile's a hard country to attack, but even harder to defend."

Regarding the Falklands war, it's worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13oPbgBS_o

A friend of mine played a minor role as a tour guide showing Gastón Pauls around the battlefields near Stanley. In reality, he is a tour guide in Stanley, so he was playing himself.

That is a case where the Argentine military started believing on its own propaganda. The idea that there was a "threat across the Andes" is ridiculous at best. After the defeat at the Falklands, the Argentine military collapsed upon itself. The entire institution broke down and Argentina was at its most vulnerable state. Did Chilean troops take advantage of this opportunity to come rolling across the Andes back then? Nope. Because they never represented any threat. If anything, it had been Argentina who had been threatening Chile with an invasion for decades, not the other way around. But it seems that at some point during the process, the Argentine high command started believing on its own bullshit propaganda to justify the hostilities towards Chile and made some very poor strategic decisions based on that. They where blinded by their own lies.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume for a moment that the Chilean threat was real. In this case, it was obvious that Argentina lacked enough troops qualified and equipped to hold both the Andes and the Falklands. Therefore, instead of sending vast amounts of ill equipped and poorly trained troops to the islands to serve no other purpose as of being targets, the focus should have been entirely on using the air force and the navy to try to prevent the landing of the British Marines in the islands, with the understanding that if they landed, the war was pretty much over. Instead, the Argentine high command chose deliberately to send its most green and poorly equipped troops to a region that they were completely unfamiliar with and unprepared for, to face highly trained, well paid Royal Marines who were equipped with night vision goggles, electric heated jackets and laser guided shoulder launched missiles.
Military circles call this situation an "unattainable strategic position" and on on a military academy, they teach at some introductory course in military strategy that one should never send your troops into a situation of unattainable strategic position.

The reality is that the Argentine military in 1982 entered a war of choice over the Falklands, knowing that bulk of their forces had to stay in the Andes to prevent an invasion that never happened and that was never planned to happen, and instead opted to sent unqualified troops to the islands into an impossible situation that they had no hopes of winning.
It is no wonder that your military imploded upon itself after the war and the morale has never recovered after 30+ years. When commanding officers betray their own men like that, it is a symptom of an institution completely corrupted and rotten to the core, where even the most sacred bonds between commanding officers and their men don't mean jack shit. The Argentine military showed complete disregard towards the lives not only of the civilian population, but of its own men, who shared the same uniform as themselves. Such institutions can never win anything. The war was lost before it ever began.

Completely agree with you actualy (except of some of the generalities in the last part, it's always hard with any sort of organization). I just believe that not every single high-level decision made was irrational.

Anyways, who said it was my military? hehehe ;)

But if the "left" wants to make anyone "lying" about being in a war zone an issue, they had better be prepared for what will resurface in the 2016 ampaign...should Hilary run:

How many remember the whopper she told about landing "under sniper fire" in Bosnia?

Hillary is a politician. Lying is what politicians do.

Speaking of telling the truth, Hillary, and phoniness, my favorite moment from the 2008 campaign: https://www.youtube....h?v=OECrIhiPYuI

Anyway, I do agree with you that this is tit-for-tat, and he should explain himself, apologize and move on. I don't like Bill O'Reilly whatsoever, but I am uncomfortable about mistakes like this (for him and for Brian Williams) ruining careers.

O’Reilly's bravado talk is disgusting.

"I’ve reported on the ground in active war zones from El Salvador to the Falklands.”

The spineless SOB has not seen an hour of combat. Draft dodging piece of $hit.

“None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.”
― Ferdinand Foch

Hillary is a politician. Lying is what politicians do.

Speaking of telling the truth, Hillary, and phoniness, my favorite moment from the 2008 campaign: https://www.youtube....h?v=OECrIhiPYuI

Anyway, I do agree with you that this is tit-for-tat, and he should explain himself, apologize and move on. I don't like Bill O'Reilly whatsoever, but I am uncomfortable about mistakes like this (for him and for Brian Williams) ruining careers.

The real race to the bottom is on the other side: http://tinyurl.com/jw544tp

Back