Saturday, June 20 at 20,30 hs
Casa de la Cultura del Fondo Nacional de las Artes
Rufino de Elizalde 2831 in Palermo
tickets handed out in the bookstore on main level one hour before the concert

Tuesday, June 23 at 20 hs
Auditorio AMIA
Pasteur 633 in El Once
must present your ID to enter

If you've been reading the online schedule of concerts, you know about tonight's concert by the Orquesta Sinfonica Nacional at the Centro Cultural Kirchner. I've been told by other concert-goers that it's a good idea to arrive at least two hours in advance to get tickets when they're handed out. Once they reach capacity for the "Blue Whale" concert hall, you're out of luck. Next Tuesday's concert includes singers from the Russian Opera. A friend said that the acoustics in the hall are incredible.

The New York Youth Symphony is on tour in Argentina. Their first concert is Wednesday at the Gran Rex, and another one on Friday at La Usina del Arte.

You'll need to be in line on Friday morning at Teatro Colon to get tickets for the Philarmonica de Buenos Aires at La Usina del Arte on Saturday night.

There is no information online about tickets for a symphony concert the Centro Cultural Kirchner, but I attended last night. The ticket line forms at the east door of the main entrance on Sarmiento. I arrived at 18 hs, when a line was already formed. Tickets are handed out beginning at 19 hs. All were given out in 45 minutes, and many could not attend. We were lucky to get tickets in the fourth row. There are hundreds staffing this immense building that was the post office. There are informative lectures about the music held at 19,30hs on the fourth floor before concerts. The center is about education and the arts.

The concert by the Orquesta Sinfonica Nacional began at 21 hs. and ended at 23,30 hs. with a standing ovation by the audience of 1,700+ The orchestra finally has a permanent home at CCK. The center is outstanding.

I enjoyed another weekend of concerts, first the Saturday night dress rehearsal of two operas Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci from an upper balcony in Teatro Colon and then a Sunday all Mozart concert by a quartet in La Usina del Arte.

Tuesday, July 14 is the weekly Jazzologia at the CC San Martin, Sarmiento 1551 at 20:30. Get your ticket in the lower level of the plaza starting at 18:30 til 19:30. Sala Muino seats 250 and they always have a full house. http://agendacultural.buenosaires.gob.ar/evento/angel-sucheras-26-the-new-orleans-spirit/11414

Thursday, July 15 offers three I'd like to attend and haven't decided which one yet.
Trio Pujol (tango) plays at the notable Bar de Cao (100 years old), at Independencia and Matheu (a block from my apt) at 20 hs. Get there early for a good table in the back of the room.
The Swing Timers perform in the chapel sala El Aleph, CC Recoleta, at 20 hs.
http://agendacultural.buenosaires.gob.ar/evento/los-jueves-en-capilla-centro-cultural-recoleta/11096
The woodwind, percussion, and horn sections of the academic orchestra of Teatro Colon perform in La Usina del Arte. Tickets available at TC box office on Wednesday from 10hs or on Thurs from 17 hs in La Usina.

I'll be in line on Friday morning at 9 hs for tickets to the Sunday, July 19 concert by a viola/piano duo at Teatro Colon. The early birds get main floor tickets.

Centro Kirchner has a great lineup this month, including many pianists. I have Cuban Jazz pianist noted for July 23 at 21 hs. http://www.culturalkirchner.com.ar

The July 19 concert at Teatro Colon was cancelled because of the city's runoff election.

Jazzologia was great last night with a full house. The next one is August 4; there are children's programs scheduled during the two weeks of winter vacation time. It's a good idea to be in line at 6:30 when they start handing out tickets.

The Peace Concerts

Committed to the unity of humankind, far beyond ideologies, beliefs, or races, Daniel Barenboim and the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra will perform in Buenos Aires at a mosque, a synagogue, and a catholic church. A practical example of how peace can be achieved through music and the will of music makers. Performances will be free of charge.

PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/en/stellar-subscription/the-peace-concerts

Islamic Center,
Avenida San Juán 3053
Sunday, August 2nd at 8:30 pm

Libertad Temple
Libertad 769
Wednesday, August 5th at 7:30 pm

Metropolitan Cathedral
Avenida Rivadavia y San Martín
Thursday, August 6th at 7:30 pm

West-Eastern Divan Brass Quintet.

W. Lutoslawski: Mini Overture
J.S Bach: Contrapunctus I
A. Bruckner: Locus Iste
Lior Shambadal: Rondo for brass quintet
Kareem Roustom: Tesserae for brass quintet
Steven Verhelst: Monunmental Etude
Jan Koetsier: Kleiner Zirkusmarsch
Enrique Crespo: Suite Americana
José Carli: Estampas de Palermo

Friday, July 31 at 20 hs - Orquesta Filarmonica de Buenos Aires performs concert #6 in La Usina del Arte in La Boca. Get tickets on Thursday from 10 hs at Teatro Colon box office, Tucuman entrance or take your chances on Friday before the concert.

Saturday, August 1 at 20 hs - Orquesta Estable de Teatro Colon performs in La Usina del Arte
Get tickets on Friday from 10 hs at Teatro Colon box office or two hours before concert at La Usina.

Tuesday, August 4 at 20.30 hs - Jazzologia in CC San Martin, Sarmiento 1551 - tickets handed out from 18,30 hs.

Wednesday, August 5 at 13 hs. - Russian pianist performs for Mozarteum Argentino series at Gran Rex on Corrientes y Suipacha.

correction: tickets for the Friday concert by Orquesta Filarmonica de Buenos Aires are available on Wednesday at 10am at the TC box office.

---------
To date, I have attended 35 concerts and have 28 more noted on my agenda for the year. My favorite venues are La Usina del Arte, Centro Cultural Kirchner, and Teatro Colon.

The Peace Concerts

Committed to the unity of humankind, far beyond ideologies, beliefs, or races, Daniel Barenboim and the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra will perform in Buenos Aires at a mosque, a synagogue, and a catholic church. A practical example of how peace can be achieved through music and the will of music makers. Performances will be free of charge.

An admirable gesture but, in all probability, wishful thinking.

Back