Free Health Coverage For All In The City Of Buenos Aires

What about Spain? What would happen if you got sick there? Would they charge you at a public hospital?
IANTangobob but as a fellow Brit I'm pretty sure that any European resident in Spain will receive free health care and any European tourist with an EHIC card will receive mostly free but sometimes paid-for-at-a-reduced-cost healthcare - provided the healthcare isn't the reason for their tourism, IYSWIM.

This will all change for Brits if/when we Brexicate but should hold good for any other Europeans.

Almost, but not quite true. (One of the reasons I voted brexit) If EU citizens come to the UK they get immediate treatment, but I know from what has happened to my family, if you are hospitalized in Europe you get a bill and have to claim it back. It was also my understanding that we got free treatment, it may well depend on which country you are in, but my daughter was charged in France.

I needed to update my assigned doctors at the CoPS desk at Hospital Ramos Mejia and received a printout of the new ones. Then I called 147 for an appointment with my medica clinica. He wrote orders for an eye exam, ear wax removal, and blood analysis. I took the orders to the hospital on Thursday morning for appointments within the following 10-14 days. There used to be a very long wait for blood extraction. Not anymore. One week was the shortest wait ever. I went this morning and was 11th in line before 6:00 and home by 7:00. The system is completely automated and efficient. The eye and ear appointments are next week. This is the first time I received an email about an appointment:
Hola JANIS,
Te recordamos que tenés un turno el 28/01/2019 a las 10:45hs. en el HOSP. GENERAL DE AGUDOS J. M. RAMOS MEJIA (GENERAL URQUIZA 609) para la especialidad de OFTALMOLOGIA- DRA. SANSEAU ANA.
Para tu turno, presentate en el Hospital o Centro de Salud con 30 minutos de anticipación
Si no podés asistir, te solicitamos que canceles este turno, de esta manera ayudas a otro vecino que también necesita atención. Para cancelarlo ingresá aca .
¡Muchas gracias!

So Happy to hear, apparently the Ramos is very efficient , unfortunately one has to visit the Hospital assigned for one' s residence area . This is a good time to do this tests when the City is empty...:D

I needed to update my assigned doctors at the CoPS desk at Hospital Ramos Mejia and received a printout of the new ones. Then I called 147 for an appointment with my medica clinica. He wrote orders for an eye exam, ear wax removal, and blood analysis. I took the orders to the hospital on Thursday morning for appointments within the following 10-14 days. There used to be a very long wait for blood extraction. Not anymore. One week was the shortest wait ever. I went this morning and was 11th in line before 6:00 and home by 7:00. The system is completely automated and efficient. The eye and ear appointments are next week. This is the first time I received an email about an appointment:
Hola JANIS,
Te recordamos que tenés un turno el 28/01/2019 a las 10:45hs. en el HOSP. GENERAL DE AGUDOS J. M. RAMOS MEJIA (GENERAL URQUIZA 609) para la especialidad de OFTALMOLOGIA- DRA. SANSEAU ANA.
Para tu turno, presentate en el Hospital o Centro de Salud con 30 minutos de anticipación
Si no podés asistir, te solicitamos que canceles este turno, de esta manera ayudas a otro vecino que también necesita atención. Para cancelarlo ingresá aca .
¡Muchas gracias!
Hello jantango, it appears you've mastered the art of belonging to Coberatura Porteña Salud. Today I attempted to get started and signing up. It was quite frustrating and all 'blind alleys'. I got the impression it might not even be available. If you have any advice on where or how to begin much appreciated. The only phone number from the government website on CoPs that answered was the 147 number. My 'local' hospital said no sign up available.

Hello jantango, it appears you've mastered the art of belonging to Coberatura Porteña Salud. Today I attempted to get started and signing up. It was quite frustrating and all 'blind alleys'. I got the impression it might not even be available. If you have any advice on where or how to begin much appreciated. The only phone number from the government website on CoPs that answered was the 147 number. My 'local' hospital said no sign up available.
Just expand on the experience today: went with a friend to look for the 'Sign Up' desk at Rivadavia on Las Heras and there was told not possible. Then followed some advice to go to Hospital Fernandez (sp?) where it was also not possible. There however, at Informes desk, gave me a phone number to call which is the number shown on the government website page (there are 4 numbers listed there) none of them answered the phone. Finally, calling the 147 telephone number, also listed there, I stumbled into a connection box for Cobertura de Salud, someone did answer and took my information but basically not helpful in the end and got no advice on a physical location to go to or who to speak with. Overall very much like chasing a ghost of the idea of Cobertura de Salud. Any guidance appreciated.

Find the hospital which is in your neighborhood and go there during the week in the morning 9-12 when the Coberatura Porteno de Salud office is open where you sign up. Present your DNI. Provide your email and telephone. You'll be given a form showing you are signed up (no more plastic cards) and your doctors. The process takes ten minutes. Then you can make appointments on 147 Select 1 for turnos, then select 1 for hospital/medicos, and then the digit for CoPS. Enter your DNI and select the doctor OR talk with someone to make the appointment. If your doctor orders a test at the hospital, go on the day in the morning when they make appointments for CoPS patients in the hospital. It's simple when you know the process.

If you're living in Palermo, Hospital Fernandez is probably the one for you.
1- Acercate a los stands de Cobertura Porteña de Salud en el Hospital de tu barrio:

https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/salud/cobertura-portena-de-salud

Just expand on the experience today: went with a friend to look for the 'Sign Up' desk at Rivadavia on Las Heras and there was told not possible. Then followed some advice to go to Hospital Fernandez (sp?) where it was also not possible. There however, at Informes desk, gave me a phone number to call which is the number shown on the government website page (there are 4 numbers listed there) none of them answered the phone. Finally, calling the 147 telephone number, also listed there, I stumbled into a connection box for Cobertura de Salud, someone did answer and took my information but basically not helpful in the end and got no advice on a physical location to go to or who to speak with. Overall very much like chasing a ghost of the idea of Cobertura de Salud. Any guidance appreciated.
Replied to you in another post a few minutes ago, this subscription has been closed a few years ago. It's now done through the 'centros de salud', CeSAC Nº 26 is the one for Palermo, https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/salud/centro-de-salud-palermo-2
Provides the same services as the 'cobertura porten'a'.You can call 147 and ask for the closest one to you. Or simply google it.

Replied to you in another post a few minutes ago, this subscription has been closed a few years ago. It's now done through the 'centros de salud', CeSAC Nº 26 is the one for Palermo, https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/salud/centro-de-salud-palermo-2
Provides the same services as the 'cobertura porten'a'.You can call 147 and ask for the closest one to you. Or simply google it.

Artisans asked me about signing up for Coberatura Portena de Salud which is still offered in the city at certain hospitals. I am on the plan and am satisfied with it enough to recommend it to those who cannot afford a private plan. I can't justify paying 8000/month for a private plan when CoPS provides all I need. CeSAC is not a plan with assigned doctors.

I wonder who pays for this "free" healthcare ?

My guess is Argentine taxpayers.

Last edited:
Back