Free range turkeys 22.50$ per kilo

For the last couple of years we have ordered our Christmas bird (12kg was the biggest but smaller available) from the butcher on the corner of Rivadavia and La plata..fresh not frozen and maybe of interest to those who can be troubled to head Caballito way...

Congrats on your new family member, Nikad! And lol reading back over your last year's experience when the oven broke down and you were fighting the turkey schedule (it wasn't funny at the time of course). Hope things are easier for you this year!

Heheh Glad to read that you are all happy and meeting your birds :) Mine is coming tomorrow in the morning. I really like this place as it is an old school butcher store.

CarverFan said:
Congrats on your new family member, Nikad! And lol reading back over your last year's experience when the oven broke down and you were fighting the turkey schedule (it wasn't funny at the time of course). Hope things are easier for you this year!
I have been roasting turkeys for 9 yrs in BsAs, and am already expecting to sweat a lot this year again :) Hope the new stove doesn´t let me down. I was going to try a new recipe and smoke the turkey, but I should have tested it first, I am not gonna experiment for the real deal, so it will be roasted turkey, with garlic mashed potatoes, some salad, gravy, nobody likes cranberry sauce so I skip that, and no pumpkin pie this year we are having ice cream. Hmmm yummi :)

I'm new to Buenos Aires and hitting the ground running by cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my boyfriend and his family. I just wanted to say thank you thank you thank you to this forum for helping me in this crazy adventure! I was scouring the internet and running all over the city trying to find the seemingly impossible, when almost all the answers were posted here! (Especially the pavo vs. pavita conundrum and where to find it!) Ended up getting a 4kg pavita (there are only 5 of us) and am experimenting with batatas in place of the beloved orange sweet potatoes at home. Did a test run last night and once I sprinkled it with some baby marshmallows (brought with me from the states, sorry, didn't find them here), it was pretty close to what my mom used to make! Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks again for helping to ease the stress of this first big dinner with the new porteño family. I look forward to many more helpful endeavors with this forum!!

A&A said:
Anyone Know where I can get Salsa (like old el paso or something) I have a great Southwest Turkey soup for all the leftovers....

Carrefour has some.

We got ours from Nikad's butcher shop. I sent the link to my friend and the and his roommate went and picked up our 12.5kg turkey. That's 27.5lbs to the Americans in the house.

My friend said that the butcher mentioned that he had sold about 30 turkeys in the last few days to Americans and he was loving how much money he was making. I think that everyone was happy about his turkey bidniz.

Oh, and our turkey guys did a hell of a job. The thing may have been huge, but it was still most and tender. And we had so many damned sides that there was probably about 20+ lbs of food left over after the dinner. With 20+ people bringing one or two things, the food piled up quickly.

Thanks again Nikad for your year+ old info.

Ours came out great as well. We also heard from them how busy they got with all the orders. Thanks for the tip Nikad!

Time to resurrect the turkey thread...

Just ordered our Thanksgiving bird for delivery on Monday (the frozen turkeys take a couple of days to defrost in the fridge). So, price summary:

2010: $22.50/kg
2011: $28.00/kg + $30 delivery
2012: $36.00/kg + $40 delivery

Back