From Boston to Argentina

I'm sure people here will tell you that any money you make in Pesos is basically useless as its almost impossible to take it out of the country.
I would come here for a year or so to have an 'adventure' but seriously think about it if your gonna do it for the long term.

Have you been to BA before? Its really lacking in a lot of things but then again some people like it. Perhaps thats why so many people here need psychological help ;)

Wow, a lot of people who hate Buenos Aires live here!
Not sure what economic position you are in or how much money you earn, but the economy is actually doing quite well. It has gotten more expensive and it is hard to do international transactions, which makes many expats complain. But if you live in the local economy things are actually doing quite well. Everyone is buying new cars, going on vacation, hell even the Telos are doing bad because people can now afford to buy apartments to have affairs. . .
BTW, all the news mentioned above is from Clarin, which supposedly says everything is going poorly (unless you read the Ieco section, which predicts growth).

A good advice is to not pass to much of your time in the forum if you don't want to get depressed ;) , if you get clients and learn good spanish or get english clients then you will be good, is simple if you don't care so much about saving in dollars you will do well, you have to know that in order to save dollars you will pay at least a 30% diference between the black market dollar and the oficial one, so in general that is the value of the peso, 30% less than what the government says, to get oficial dollars is dificult but doable you have to have all in rule and then you have 3 ways, ask for dollars to do turism outside, use the credit card outside (this at 15% cost that you can deduce from your earning tax) or the lastt one and my prefered send family help outside the country and then when you travel you pick them up or make that person to tranfer the moeny to an account in uruguay or a cueva. In any case is not as simple as go and just buy dollars and is limited to 1500 usd per person per month so not ideal if you want to convert lot of pesos into dollars outside. In the other side if you have dollars this benefit you as you can get 30% or more money in pesos for every dollar you bring to the country.
You need to know that if you don't care of spending the money in Argentina and or loose 30% of the value to get dollars and use them outside then you should be ok.

but the economy is actually doing quite well. It has gotten more expensive and it is hard to do international transactions, which makes many expats complain. But if you live in the local economy things are actually doing quite well. Everyone is buying new cars, going on vacation, hell even the Telos are doing bad

What planet are you on???

By the way Clarin is probably the only reliable paper to read as all the rest are practically owned by the Ks. So unless your a K supporter and have been brainwashed the economy isn't great here.

Not everything is bad here but its worth visiting and speaking to locals and expats before you decide to make the leap.
I feel I've really benefited from living here but I am looking forward to leaving.

Beyond the issues we all know, economy is certainly good here. We are in an expansive cycle, including people from poverty and expanding the middle class that consumes A LOT; in fact this strong demand is one of the reasons of the inflation. You all should know this country in a recessive cycle, with a depressed economy and without a peso on the streets. Just wait it will come. We re talking of totally another country.

By the way Clarin is probably the only reliable paper to read as all the rest are practically owned by the Ks. So unless your a K supporter and have been brainwashed the economy isn't great here.

It is actually the other way around. Clarin has the largest share in the media (they own various newspapers, TV stations etc.). They have a neo-liberal agenda. They usually criticize everything the government does. The only national pro-Kirchner newspaper that I know of is pagina 12. With the TV stations it looks similar. All private stations are against the federal government. Only the public TV stations are not anti-Kirchner.

They have a neo-liberal agenda.

People here in LATAM like to throw this term around a lot, but few know what it really means. In Brazil for example, inside some circles of academics, anyone who falls short of supporting a peasant uprising to overthrow the government and kick out the multi-nations from the country is labeled a "neo-liberal". Hell, Obama, Clinton, Tony Blair and even Carter were referred to as "neo-liberals". What does that term means to you exactly, and how does Clarin fits in that definition, in your view?

Beyond the issues we all know, economy is certainly good here. We are in an expansive cycle, including people from poverty and expanding the middle class that consumes A LOT; in fact this strong demand is one of the reasons of the inflation. You all should know this country in a recessive cycle, with a depressed economy and without a peso on the streets. Just wait it will come. We re talking of totally another country.

Oh dear someone really needs to get their head out of the sand. Unless this post is a joke?

Back