From Russia With Love

Cialu

Registered
Hello everyone,--
and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
It will be marvellous for us all :wub:
I'll be visiting BA for a few weeks beginning late Feb and this is my 2nd visit, I loved the city very much, danced, made friends,
got to see a lot and am rather looking forward to being there again. And meeting people is always fun!
When I lived in London, we had a group getting together every Sat and Fri night (culture and booze, respectively ;)
I wonder if anyone is keen to do same here, i have been reading the forum and there were such things, abeit without consistency or regularity :)

IDEAS I HAVE:
-get together/do free walking tours of the city,
- get together/go to parks/Rosedal/Reserva Costanera Sur
-tigre/ delta trip
-san telmo /palermo viejo walk, cafes, shopping - ha, maybe women here?
- fine arts or malba museums. i have some fine art ed so will exchange a lecture on post-structural constructivism for spanish fluency ;)
-milongas with some guidance and explanation of codigos if you so chose
-just getting together to share experences, bullshit and vent and have a good time
Please let me know. I'm good at organizing things and am reasonably fun company, and I love meeting new people. However i am spooked by what I read here regarding security/muggings and even threats/attacks to women, and that is a huge concern.

About me: 35yo woman, smart, usually quite pretty and can be gorgeous with make up, i work in mental health field and have 2 degrees from fancy universities in US where i live. Little money, lots of wit, social EtOH, no drugs, no videotapes and no clubbing.

LET'S DO SOMETHING TOGETHER :)

Hmm, you didn't get any replies to this. Perhaps the 2 degrees and mind mechanic references were too intimidating. I have no interest in doing expat group things (I live here and dont really consider myself part of the expat community) but always welcome suggestions for art, music and other fun.

I really wouldn't worry about the security issue. There are very few serious problems though apparently quite a lot of petty ones (I've been lucky, nothing has happened to me in 18 years of visiting or 3 years of living here).

I don't vent though. Not even sure what it means but it sounds uncomfortable!!!

Hello everyone,--
and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
It will be marvellous for us all :wub:
I'll be visiting BA for a few weeks beginning late Feb and this is my 2nd visit, I loved the city very much, danced, made friends,
got to see a lot and am rather looking forward to being there again. And meeting people is always fun!
When I lived in London, we had a group getting together every Sat and Fri night (culture and booze, respectively ;)
I wonder if anyone is keen to do same here, i have been reading the forum and there were such things, abeit without consistency or regularity :)

IDEAS I HAVE:
-get together/do free walking tours of the city,
- get together/go to parks/Rosedal/Reserva Costanera Sur
-tigre/ delta trip
-san telmo /palermo viejo walk, cafes, shopping - ha, maybe women here?
- fine arts or malba museums. i have some fine art ed so will exchange a lecture on post-structural constructivism for spanish fluency ;)
-milongas with some guidance and explanation of codigos if you so chose
-just getting together to share experences, bullshit and vent and have a good time
Please let me know. I'm good at organizing things and am reasonably fun company, and I love meeting new people. However i am spooked by what I read here regarding security/muggings and even threats/attacks to women, and that is a huge concern.

About me: 35yo woman, smart, usually quite pretty and can be gorgeous with make up, i work in mental health field and have 2 degrees from fancy universities in US where i live. Little money, lots of wit, social EtOH, no drugs, no videotapes and no clubbing.

LET'S DO SOMETHING TOGETHER :)
welcome cialu, i hope you have a great time in buenos aires, i think your post will have more attention if it where posted in the event section, anyway i will gladly share a walk around recoleta and a some mates in the park with all the people that want to join, it specially nice in this sunny days, another good place to go will be bosques de palermo to walk on a sunday or go to San Telmo to the feria.

welcome cialu, i hope you have a great time in buenos aires, i think your post will have more attention if it where posted in the event section, anyway i will gladly share a walk around recoleta and a some mates in the park with all the people that want to join, it specially nice in this sunny days, another good place to go will be bosques de palermo to walk on a sunday or go to San Telmo to the feria.

It's a deal, it's a steal. Duly noted - a walk in the park, people, recoleta, on my agenda - you are on! Good point about event section - i assumed i had to post here, since will be quite new. San Telmo was quite impressive in the rain, at night, but yes, i do feel that with company it is better to go there. Another one i did not get to was the Reserva C.Sur - art, outdoors, and healthy pursuits in one.

Hmm, you didn't get any replies to this. Perhaps the 2 degrees and mind mechanic references were too intimidating. I have no interest in doing expat group things (I live here and dont really consider myself part of the expat community) but always welcome suggestions for art, music and other fun.

I really wouldn't worry about the security issue. There are very few serious problems though apparently quite a lot of petty ones (I've been lucky, nothing has happened to me in 18 years of visiting or 3 years of living here).

I don't vent though. Not even sure what it means but it sounds uncomfortable!!!

Duly noted - will mail diplomas back and request tuition refund ;) In all honesty, i was aware of possible security issues and was lucky while being moderately vigilant on my last visit; yet since reading this forum, I'm starting to think that i gravely underestimated the dangers, up to personal safety... I don't want to sound impressionable, but here it is. Now I'll be staying on border of Tribunales and ?Once (Auchucho y Cordoba) which is supposed to be a bit rougher than Recoleta, so am keeping fingers crossed...

Suggestions and plans for art/music things will be forthcoming - watch this space. I hope you may get to join in, depending on your tastes in music etc. I'll definitely make one outing to hear Orch. typica Fern. Fierro? (spelling, my apologies ) - supposed to be a mixture of tango and punk, and BA Fine Arts Museum. As you've lived here for so long, you may also note art all around you, - in this way BA is really beautiful, as if any European city - it's history and art are in the buildings and urban planning you see daily ;)

Duly noted - will mail diplomas back and request tuition refund ;) In all honesty, i was aware of possible security issues and was lucky while being moderately vigilant on my last visit; yet since reading this forum, I'm starting to think that i gravely underestimated the dangers, up to personal safety... I don't want to sound impressionable, but here it is. Now I'll be staying on border of Tribunales and ?Once (Auchucho y Cordoba) which is supposed to be a bit rougher than Recoleta, so am keeping fingers crossed...

Suggestions and plans for art/music things will be forthcoming - watch this space. I hope you may get to join in, depending on your tastes in music etc. I'll definitely make one outing to hear Orch. typica Fern. Fierro? (spelling, my apologies ) - supposed to be a mixture of tango and punk, and BA Fine Arts Museum. As you've lived here for so long, you may also note art all around you, - in this way BA is really beautiful, as if any European city - it's history and art are in the buildings and urban planning you see daily ;)

If you read to much this forum you will think that Buenos Aires has become in 1 year as ugly as the ugliest place on earth, that Buenos Aires food is terrible, that Buenos Aires people is more rude than before, that there is more insecurity than a year before, that anything that was good here now is not that good anymore, when in reality is the same but more expensive, in their mind people is just expecting more as they have to pay more for everything (as simple as that). Another factor that influence a lot what people feel is Newspapers and media groups exageration and in the other hand government liying about everything, one paint a dark future and the other a bright future but no one paint the reality and that is that a city don't change from one year to the other is the same city with a restriction to buy dollars and higher prices that all.
In any case be aware of your stuff and don't worry so much real danger to your person is very rare in the city for now, the issue is more pick pocketing and oportunist.

For the park walking on february, when are you arriving? just a tip if you are not aware don't change your dollars in the oficial market use a cueva and get the best from them (i supose you already know this, but just in cas)

If you read to much this forum you will think that Buenos Aires has become in 1 year as ugly as the ugliest place on earth, that Buenos Aires food is terrible, that Buenos Aires people is more rude than before, that there is more insecurity than a year before, that anything that was good here now is not that good anymore, when in reality is the same but more expensive, in their mind people is just expecting more as they have to pay more for everything (as simple as that). Another factor that influence a lot what people feel is Newspapers and media groups exageration and in the other hand government liying about everything, one paint a dark future and the other a bright future but no one paint the reality and that is that a city don't change from one year to the other is the same city with a restriction to buy dollars and higher prices that all.
In any case be aware of your stuff and don't worry so much real danger to your person is very rare in the city for now, the issue is more pick pocketing and oportunist.

For the park walking on february, when are you arriving? just a tip if you are not aware don't change your dollars in the oficial market use a cueva and get the best from them (i supose you already know this, but just in cas)

Well, i understand that this is a rather self-selected atypical group of people, but stories i read make me worry to no end. If i ever have anyone with a gun pointing at me, i'll freeze and just not know what to do... I was there last October/November - city was lovely, just lovely, reminded me of Russia where i was born, people were all friendly and spoke spanish to me, which i did not understand, so it's my assumption that they were friendly ... I traveled by bus a lot, people explained where i should get off, of course space is tight - c'est la vie, no? but i also remember having an awkward feeling walking Congresso square at night, group of young people on street, totally uneasy feeling. so i will hope for the best, but i have to say - every single guidebook allocates so many pages to safety, it is particular to BA!

Thanks for the tip, i know this in theory, yet going on Florida st. fills my heart with ambivalence ;) Ha. last time the ATM simply did not work, because bank thought it was 'insecure transaction' and blocked my card ... amazing, what can happen !

I'll be there in 5 weeks, end of February. Looking forward to it!!!

Cialu i agree about congress streets at night that is not a nice place at night for a girl to walk, not that is terrible neither but it just feel creepy on the night, i have feel the same in that area, anyway if you are from Moscu you should feel safer here, Rusia is marked as a very dangerous place to visit, anyway can i ask why did you chose that area to stay in?

Well if you have already visit not long ago security in my opinion has not get any better or worst since the last time you came. And violent crime is no so common and has never been common in the city. Hope that make you feel better :)

Cialu i agree about congress streets at night that is not a nice place at night for a girl to walk, not that is terrible neither but it just feel creepy on the night, i have feel the same in that area, anyway if you are from Moscu you should feel safer here, Rusia is marked as a very dangerous place to visit, anyway can i ask why did you chose that area to stay in?

Well if you have already visit not long ago security in my opinion has not get any better or worst since the last time you came. And violent crime is no so common and has never been common in the city. Hope that make you feel better :)

ha, it does not make me feel better to know that even a guy would be creeped out walking the city at night. i walked NYC midtown to chelsea at 3am without fear...
you ask why - we were walking, a friend and I, from ?san telmo? to santa fe y callao, and were catching a bus at congreso square...

moscow is a nice tourist destination and also a great place for upper middle classes, it's merde to live there. but: no guns, no knives, worst thing is - you will be robbed of $$/watch, or get into a fight with a drunk (from tourist perspective, not political dissident one)

ha, it does not make me feel better to know that even a guy would be creeped out walking the city at night. i walked NYC midtown to chelsea at 3am without fear...
you ask why - we were walking, a friend and I, from ?san telmo? to santa fe y callao, and were catching a bus at congreso square...

moscow is a nice tourist destination and also a great place for upper middle classes, it's merde to live there. but: no guns, no knives, worst thing is - you will be robbed of $$/watch, or get into a fight with a drunk (from tourist perspective, not political dissident one)

Don't miss understand me i don't feel unsafe at all walking on the street at night in this city less in the areas i live (scare feeling come more when you don't know what to wait for ), i just don't like congreso to walk at night as it does feel creepy but i never pass at night there anyway because there is not so much to do there. I don't think is dangerous and i would not worry of people pointing you with a gun. I Didn't want to offend you by talking of insecurity of Moscu anyway i just was looking that russia is in the violent crimes map one of the places in the world where you have more chances of getting shoted, but i haven't been there so you must know better.

Anyway your description "moscow is a nice tourist destination and also a great place for upper middle classes, it's merde to live there. but: no guns, no knives, worst thing is - you will be robbed of $$/watch, or get into a fight with a drunk (from tourist perspective, not political dissident one)" fit perfectly to Buenos Aires as well is normal the pickpocketing and petty crime but not normal violent crime, at least not for now maybe is getting worst the future will say, anyway asd a tourist i wouldn't be worry of something bad happening, remember fear is good as long as it dosn't control you :)

Back