Furniture store recommendations

Ashley

Registered
Can anyone recommend a good furniture store where I can buy a decent, but not overly expensive, couch.
I really like the stuff in Amo mi living but the quote I got for a 2-seater, upholstered in something not completely hideous, was almost 3,500 pesos. The only cheaper sofas I have seen thus far are either pretty wretched structurally, involve "eco-cuero" or boast both of these features.
I have a feeling that 3,500 is just what it costs now but if anyone has any recommendations for places I could take a look at before taking the plunge, I'd really appreciate it!

I bought from mercadolibre as well. We looked in loads of places for new sofas, but they were all savagely expensive, plus it was going to take several months for them to be made. In the end we bought a beautiful second hand sofa for 2k which would have been well out of our price range if we bought it new.

Check Baexpats "expat life" Someome is leaving BA and is selling furniture.

Also, check "craigslist buenos aires"

Thanks everyone...I'll have a look at ML. I'd also like to check out some new furniture stores too though if anyone has any recommendations.

calle Cabildo,statr at the pan americana end and work your way down..great selection

Have you checked out el Mercado de las Pulgas? For me, I like furniture with ¨character¨ and style :) & within my budget! (...which is small, considering I work in pesos...)

The actual market is around Dorrego 1600 but if you walk around the neighboring streets, you´ll find even more stores. A lot of mid-century stuff, antiques, some junk -- it´s like going on a treasure hunt! There are a lot of artisans and tapicerias that also do custom-made work.

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas...ias_mercados/mercado_pulgas.php?menu_id=23596

http://info.todobuenosaires.com/descripcion/descripcion_lugar.php?Id=651

can people seriously still find a bargain at the dorrego flea market? I live a few blocks away so visit quite a bit. I find the furniture to be completely overpriced - especially given that most of it is just "old n' shitty" - not "antique" at all. There's something very wrong when a flea market starts offering "6 cuotas sin interes con visa!" I went about a year ago and was quoted 4,000 for an 60 year old bathtub minus the fittings (about 3 times what was quoted for the same thing in the UK). Now I just "window shop" there!
I agree with what you said about character though and while I'm far more attracted to old furniture and would even be happy to get something refurbished as an investment, we're still renting a fairly small place and I'd much rather just go for something basic and functional for now.
Having said that though, I wouldn't be happy buying a foam or mattress-type sofa second hand (which is what I'm looking for) and my last couch, a futon I bought new on ML, broke after just two years. Ideally, I'd find a comfortable two-seater, upholstered in cord or some other sturdy fabric for no more than 2 grand (pesos). Does such a thing still exist? :)

Ashley said:
can people seriously still find a bargain at the dorrego flea market? I live a few blocks away so visit quite a bit. I find the furniture to be completely overpriced - especially given that most of it is just "old n' shitty" - not "antique" at all. There's something very wrong when a flea market starts offering "6 cuotas sin interes con visa!" I went about a year ago and was quoted 4,000 for an 60 year old bathtub minus the fittings (about 3 times what was quoted for the same thing in the UK). Now I just "window shop" there!
I agree with what you said about character though and while I'm far more attracted to old furniture and would even be happy to get something refurbished as an investment, we're still renting a fairly small place and I'd much rather just go for something basic and functional for now.
Having said that though, I wouldn't be happy buying a foam or mattress-type sofa second hand (which is what I'm looking for) and my last couch, a futon I bought new on ML, broke after just two years. Ideally, I'd find a comfortable two-seater, upholstered in cord or some other sturdy fabric for no more than 2 grand (pesos). Does such a thing still exist? :)

I totally agree with you on the above. It's mostly over priced junk. I'd certainly never buy anything upholstered there.... ew.

There is a nice shop on S.Ortiz, around the 700s. I can't remember the name. They make & sell only couches & chairs. So not a "furniture store". But it has what you are looking for. They have some good sales (or they did last year) and floor models for sale. If you are walking down the numbers, it's on the left side of the street.

Haha, I would double the ´eww´ on some of things that I saw there too! I would say that it's still a fun experience, and you never know what you'll find! Come with a sharp eye & be ready to bargain.

I ended up buying a table and then a set of chairs, spending 450 pesos total -- which I didn´t think was too bad but it´s definitely different from a bathtub!!

Back