Galeno Heath Insurance :-(

I'm pretty new to the healthcare system here, but when you guys say 'go the guardia', you mean go to the emergency room of any sanatoria in your health plan right?
Yes, that is correct, "guardia" is the name in Argentina for Emergency Room. Also some walk-in immediate care clinics also call themselves guardia. And doctors, when they are on-call are called "de guardia".

can't imagine anything worse than waiting anywhere for several hours with food poisoning. Poor you! My OSDE 310 gives me a number to call when I feel too sick to go out and see a doctor. I just call the number, and after a few questions to decide what kind of doctor to send, I receive a HOUSE CALL from a doctor within two hours. This has been the best part of OSDE ownership.
I've had both amoebic dysentery (and here's something we totally agree on Redpossum!) it's the worse, you don't go further than the toilet with that. Food poisoning, from what I was told.takes 12-24 hours to develop. So it wasn't what you had at lunch, more likely what you had had the day before. Don't know if it was a coincidence, but I got really sick to my stomach Sunday after having had a little food at both Magdelenas and the cafe we went to after. I was suspicious of the cream in my cafe con Crema. But def wouldn't say it was anything near food poisening. Thankfully. Soo glad you're on the mend. Strongly reccomend a prepago that includes home visits.
Sorry to hear you had an upset stomach....cream can be very tricky especially if it's not kept at the right temperature. In my case they said it also could have been just acute gastroenteritis, however they suspected food poisioning as my bloodwork analysis showed absolutely no signs of abnormalities either bacterial or viral...but since I rarely get sick, and I have a asbestos-lined stomach, I can eat anything and never get as much as heartburn, it was totally out of the ordinary. Actually GALENO offers home-call doctor visits, when I called them on the phone first to ask what I should do, and described my condition and symptoms, they were willing to send me a doctor but said I would have to wait a couple of hours and most likely go to the clinic anyway to get blood drawn. So it seemed more efficient just to go and get everything done in one place. I sent a complaint e-mail to GALENO today, I doubt they will even acknowledge it though. I am going to start looking at other plans.

can't imagine anything worse than waiting anywhere for several hours with food poisoning. Poor you! My OSDE 310 gives me a number to call when I feel too sick to go out and see a doctor. I just call the number, and after a few questions to decide what kind of doctor to send, I receive a HOUSE CALL from a doctor within two hours. This has been the best part of OSDE ownership.
I've had both amoebic dysentery (and here's something we totally agree on Redpossum!) it's the worse, you don't go further than the toilet with that. Food poisoning, from what I was told.takes 12-24 hours to develop. So it wasn't what you had at lunch, more likely what you had had the day before. Don't know if it was a coincidence, but I got really sick to my stomach Sunday after having had a little food at both Magdelenas and the cafe we went to after. I was suspicious of the cream in my cafe con Crema. But def wouldn't say it was anything near food poisening. Thankfully. Soo glad you're on the mend. Strongly reccomend a prepago that includes home visits.

OMG, hon, I'm so sorry you got sick on Sunday. I had no problems myself, and I haven't heard anything from anyone else who did. I think of the meats at Magdalena's, the only one I didn't get to taste was the sausage, did you have any of that? Or maybe it was the cream at Libros de Pasaje. In any case, I'm very sorry to hear that whatever-it-was didn't sit well with you :(

It's always weird and frustrating to be, like David, the only one of a group who has problems. I was a waiter in the US for years, and took a food safety class three times, once to get my card initially, and twice to renew it. To be honest, the classes were about how to avoid problems from the restaurant staff POV, not how to analyse them from the client's POV. So I'm really no help on figuring out what happened.

For my own part, I think I guzzled enough wine to kill any bacteria. Damn, that was a good Malbec :)

Does Galeno not allow you to go to other hospitals in your area? Seems like a hospital issue, not necessarily an insurance issue. The Trinidad in Palermo is wonderful.

I have OSDE and while I've never had problems, the cost/benefit ratio is starting to get skewed. We pay thousands a month for the family plan and when I took the citykids for their latest round of vaccines, OSDE didn't cover all of them since they are over 1. I wound up having to pay almost 2000 pesos out of my own pocket. Which is a bit of a kick in the ass when you're paying that much money a month in health insurance.

A good strong drink or two will kill all bacterias and if it knocks you out, you wont even know you're sick!CHEERS!

It's always weird and frustrating to be, like David, the only one of a group who has problems. I was a waiter in the US for years, and took a food safety class three times, once to get my card initially, and twice to renew it. To be honest, the classes were about how to avoid problems from the restaurant staff POV, not how to analyse them from the client's POV. So I'm really no help on figuring out what happened.
For my own part, I think I guzzled enough wine to kill any bacteria. Damn, that was a good Malbec :)
It's hard to say what it was, could have been any number of things I ate within that time period. The meat was really delicious at Magdalena's...however that doesn't mean it couldn't have been sitting out, or maybe since it was just me, a dish or glass wasn't properly sanitized and maybe not any of the food at all.....anyway I am just fine now, eating as much as ever and all forgotten about :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gringoboy Expat Life 11
C Expat Life 15
B Expat Life 3
S Expat Life 0
S Culture 2
Back