GARDENING: Herb garden & Rose garden

Napoleon

Registered
I've recently changed haunts and the new place has a nice sized patio/balcony thing. There are already plenty of plants out there, but I'm interested in contributing to the cause.

Here's what I want to grow: Roses & Herbs for cooking

ROSES: The aunt of the owner of my last place put a couple of rose bushes (really just simply plants) in pots on my small balcony about 13 months ago and they went over really well with the ladies I dated after that. (Only 2, but I'll take 100% anytime.)

There's a history of rose bushes in my family. We had them at the house my family lived in for nearly my entire life. Well, that is until my dad accidentally (or not) mowed over them in the late fall because they were in the midst of some overgrown weeds. And then my mother took a pair of scissors to a nice dress shirt that she had given him and cut it to shreads.

So maybe there's not a perfect history of rose plants, but these photos:

14642_198898057537_567077537_4139431_4394335_n.jpg

Still Life with Traffic

11841_229016162537_567077537_4447175_2307357_n.jpg

Georgia O'Keefe's Wet Dream

...seemed to impress. And they added a refreshing scent to life in the city.

HERBS: No I'm not talkin' about wacky 'baccy.

I'm getting more and more into cooking and the idea of growing my own fresh basil, rosemary, and DILL!!... God forbid some would actually be able to find fresh dill in this country!... So I've always wanted to have my own herb garden and now's the time to start growing my first.

QUESTIONS:

1) WHERE:
Where would I buy Rose plants, pots, and herbs?

2) WHAT: What would I need that I don't realize right now?

Maybe tomato plants or raspberry bushes are in my future as well, but for now I'm just looking at ROSES & HERBS.

Thanks,

Nappy

Agronomía. I've bought herbs there before. And other plants too. As agriculture/horticulture students, they are very knowledgeable and have the time and the enthusiasm to pass all that knowledge on. So don't be shy about asking them anything you need to know - not that you strike me as a wilting wallflower type :)

I second Agronomia -- was just there last week and did all my containers. The entrance for the nursery is on Beiro about Gavilan.

I love the roses, they bring back memories of my grandmothers garden so thanks for sharing! My husband just gave me the best birthday present - the garden and terraces all overhauled by the local gardening service..ie a local hole in the wall garden center so I hope to wow my friends with my fruit trees as much as you do the ladies with roses....that aside I have literally gone to Easy in Palermo (alongside Jumbo) to buy my herbs and pots and have resplendant Rosemary and Basil on demand. If the ladies love the roses, try a rosemary and lemon roast chicken and you will double your success! My only lament is tarragon...I cannot grow it, I cannot fnd it in shops (the tarragon they sell in Jumbo is actually rucula)...but when I retire to France I guess I will have tarragon in abundance. Goodluck with the gardening, if you enjoy it I´m sure the results will abound.

I am growing about 60 organic tomato plants, they are antique tomato seeds I imported down here (I'm likely the only one to grow them in Argentina) :

- Black tomato from Crimea
noire_de_crimee_3.jpg

- Striped german tomato
striped_german_0.jpg

- Small pear yellow tomato
tomate_poire_jaune_009.jpg

- Green grape tomato
I-Grande-5904-tomate-green-grape-ab.aspx

I have too the usual tomatoes, and the cherry ones.

With everything I planted, I expect to get 4 to 5 kilos a day ! lol. I might set-up a tomato business.
I have about thirty tomato shots ready to transplant in surplus if anyone is interested. I could deliver them in the centro but I don't know when I'm coming to the city.

I have too a kaki tree, a figue tree, a pomegranate tree, cilandro, ciboulette, tomillo, laurel, albhaca, romero, lavender.... and too four bee hives !!! (but they belong to the owner).

French jurist said:
And too, I have

- Green zebra tomato
GreenZebraTomato.jpg
I hope you have a major freezer ready for the ratatouille and the chili con carni and such. This soil is very fertile and veggies grow like crazy. I'm getting two rotations of tomatos per year [like you, I brought many seed packs with me]. Same for peas and egg plants. Beware of the enormous black ants, they will strip the skin off of all your tomatos in a day. Opps forgot, my jalapeño tree is now 1.5 meters tall and produces 10 months per year. Celantro is difficult for me.
How do you get rid of the white flys on the tomatos?

Ha! didn't realise we could start a Gardener's Corner on baexpats...

I have a camellia in a large pot on my balcony -- in the past few weeks it's really started to take off but a lot of the leaves are yellowing -- I believe it's a lack of iron, so i bought some the other week and have done the treatment around the base etc... but I'm wondering, is part of the problem the tap water here? i didn't think so, i've had it for a couple of years and this is the first time I've had the problem so not sure if it's just lack of nutrients in the soil, overwatering, or maybe the mineral balance in the tap water? like I say, it's in a container, and been there for a couple of years, so maybe I need to replant with some new compost?

syngirl said:
Ha! didn't realise we could start a Gardener's Corner on baexpats...

I have a camellia in a large pot on my balcony -- in the past few weeks it's really started to take off but a lot of the leaves are yellowing -- I believe it's a lack of iron, so i bought some the other week and have done the treatment around the base etc... but I'm wondering, is part of the problem the tap water here? i didn't think so, i've had it for a couple of years and this is the first time I've had the problem so not sure if it's just lack of nutrients in the soil, overwatering, or maybe the mineral balance in the tap water? like I say, it's in a container, and been there for a couple of years, so maybe I need to replant with some new compost?

If it was overwatering, leaves would show black spots.

Of course you need to replant it, poor thing ! Choose a medium/substrate with a Ph inferior to 7. It's a bit late though in the season, but anyway, if you hurry up, that should be fine

Back