GARDENING: Herb garden & Rose garden

FJ:
I assume you will be transplanting to the earth for your organic garden:
If so here are a few tips that have worked for me.
EVIL BIG BLACK ANTS............after the garden is in progress, buy a kilo bag of white rice and dump a pile somewhere at the edge of the garden. The ants will find it and taake the rice back to the nest. Once in the nest the rice will ferment and the ants will be drunk and then dead. Bye, bye.
Insects..................Nicotine is your friend:
Collect 100 cigarette butts.
Boil the 100 cigarette butts in around four litres of water.
Cool, then strain the mixture well.
Decant to a large marked bottle and store out of reach of children and animals. Remember nicotine is a poison so this homemade nicotine spray should be treated with care.
Dilute the mixture with two parts water and put into a cheap plastic plant spray bottle.
You can now spray this diluted mixture onto any plants which are infested with leaf miners, caterpillars and weevils.
White Flys. Mix some small amount of dish soap with water and spray, spray, spray. If it rains, spray again.
Rosemary, plant a big one and let it grow like a hedge. Insects hate it. And roasted chicken loves it.
Tomato Worms, I hate these giagantic bastards. Stick a needle through it and toss it in a bag and stomp on it.
You may already know these, but I thought maybe some would be useful.
The skunks and the rats are a problem too. Good luck [buy a cat]. I have not seen any possums so I don't know if they are out in the suburbs or not. If they are, they will destroy your mellons and tomatos [shoot em]

Napoleon said:
I'm getting more and more into cooking and the idea of growing my own fresh basil, rosemary, and DILL!!... God forbid some would actually be able to find fresh dill in this country!... So I've always wanted to have my own herb garden and now's the time to start growing my first.

Dill - barrio chino - casa chino, in season. dont know where to get potted dill to grow though...

I have a question for the gardeners (i want to better my herb growing). All my thyme plants always dry up and i have to buy more to try again. It's supposed to be an easy durable herb!!1 help!!!

French jurist said:
No problem !

I didn't label the plants but they are grouped per origin so I'll pick here and there (or will bring all of them).

I've had success using 10 liters "baldes" (drilling holes at the bottom : their roots don't like to "swim").
I just need to know when I come to Capital (anyway they'll keep growing meanwhile :p ) and will PM you the day before.

Do you happen to work in/near the centro ?
I don't know if I'll come by train or on my motorcycle, in this latter case it's easier for me to meet you somewhere else.

cheers

Super!! Yay, I'm excited to try this and will prep containers in the near future. I actually don't live/work near centro, I'm off the A line on Rivadavia close to Acoyte/Primera Junta/Puan. Please do let me know, and thanks a lot! :D

Also, please do let me know if you're interested in the Thai variety basil seeds! I'm growing both the Thai and Holy basil now and they are heavenly. Time to plant some lemon basil for the new season...

Agronomia is great but it is also worth looking at the Vivero - Mario's - on Scalabrini Ortiz y Cabrera. They have a pretty good selection of herbs and plenty of pots. Roses are more limited. They are very friendly though so should be able to advise. I like the idea of Gardeners corner. My terrace is full of fruit trees (pears, peach, fig, lemon, lime, olive plus roses and plenty of different herbs.)

deadlegs said:
Agronomia is great but it is also worth looking at the Vivero - Mario's - on Scalabrini Ortiz y Cabrera. They have a pretty good selection of herbs and plenty of pots. Roses are more limited. They are very friendly though so should be able to advise. I like the idea of Gardeners corner. My terrace is full of fruit trees (pears, peach, fig, lemon, lime, olive plus roses and plenty of different herbs.)

I notice that you haven't gotten around to planting an avocado (palta) tree yet. I think that that would be my first, followed by a lime tree. (Can you tell I grew up with large doses of Mexican food?)

ghost said:
FJ:
I have not seen any possums so I don't know if they are out in the suburbs or not. If they are, they will destroy your mellons and tomatos [shoot em]

My dogs killed a big opposum in my garden 4 months ago, I have a picture somewhere. I'll post it

Dogs 1 - Comadreja 0

This comadreja got killed by my dogs (broke his/her spine) a few months ago.
It was quite big actually, about 70/75 cms with the tail, poor animal, that's nature.

I've got too really big sapos, bats, one snake (always hiding in the same place) -don't know if harmful or not, couldn't check the head yet but I will :p.
There's too some kind of really big bird, turkey alike, all black, weighting about 12 to 14 pounds who comes once a week.

MizzMarr said:
Super!! Yay, I'm excited to try this and will prep containers in the near future. I actually don't live/work near centro, I'm off the A line on Rivadavia close to Acoyte/Primera Junta/Puan. Please do let me know, and thanks a lot! :D

Also, please do let me know if you're interested in the Thai variety basil seeds! I'm growing both the Thai and Holy basil now and they are heavenly. Time to plant some lemon basil for the new season...

Yop, sure ! I'm interested in any plants !

I'll manage to come on my bike but I need to fix a wheel first, like will I come at the end of this week or at the beginning of next one,

cheers

French jurist said:
Dogs 1 - Comadreja 0

This comadreja got killed by my dogs (broke his/her spine) a few months ago.
It was quite big actually, about 70/75 cms with the tail, poor animal, that's nature.

I've got too really big sapos, bats, one snake (always hiding in the same place) -don't know if harmful or not, couldn't check the head yet but I will :p.
There's too some kind of really big bird, turkey alike, all black, weighting about 12 to 14 pounds who comes once a week.
Opossum is the correct spelling, possum is the short cut vernacular. They really mess up a garden. The damn things take one bite and move on to the next veggie and take one bite and so on. And then then they walk around and fall in the pool and drown.
Turkey??? No way, can't be, there are no wild turkey in AR. Maybe a turkey buzzard.
Bats and snakes are your friends. At least until the bats decide to munch on your apricots [if he's a fruit bat]. But they don't eat much and they sure do some damage to the mosquito population. Rabies is also a worry and there is allot of rabies around BA.

Oh, I forgot. If you plant a row of MaryJane.....insects hate it. And it makes great organic brownies after the veggie harvest is finished. Medicinal brownies.

Back