General Advice Solicitation For A First-Timer

Sure, bingo, 8 years in jail.

Under which country's law?

the airlines agents just need to sight some thing which shows you will board a flight within 3 months. Occasionally, they will note down the flight no and date on their computer.

No one is making a video tape of the the evidence you are handing over or making you sign any document that you will be taking this flight, you tell them. I dont even remember any one taking copy of such tickets.

I dont remember any country's immigration asking me for onward ticket. Only these airline agents are the nuicanse.That is the best way to deal them.

I don't remember any airline agent having wasting time trying to call the other airline to confirm the ticket no etc.

And I never heard anyone getting jailed for 8 years anywhere in the world for producing a 'fake' onward ticket. ( fake passport or fake visa..yes!)

---

When we used to line up to take visa at embassys in Congo, they always asked for confirmed return tickets at time of submitting the visa application. Always submitted, what we called 'dummy tickets' with fake ticket number and imaginary dates etc. Bingo. It always worked.

--

So Ruibilar, I usually value what you say on this forum..but for this ones..lets agree to disagree. i think you are drunk!

P.S : - The other solution I offer is to buy a real ticket on orbitz, cheaptickets or expedia on the date of travel and as soon you are checked in, just call up to cancel using their "24 hours, No questions asked free cancellation 100% refund' . This is 100% legal (well?!) but just requires some more time and use of phone at the airport. And there are usually long queues at customer care call centre of all these three sites.

Funny part of all this is, that nowhere is written anything that you need return ticket. I even asked on Argentinian embassy, and they said no. When I appeared on airport, girl asked, where is my visa. Surprise, surprise, you can't board, if you can't present one... I showed "confirmation" mail (sent from friends email) on purchased ticket and they let me on the plane. She just printed boarding pass, and didn't write any data from my phone.

If in Argentina anyone would complicate, I would of course said, that it's first time I heard something like this. KLM, British and air France never asked for return ticket, only alitalia and iberia. Problem is, that they are carrying cost if you are rejected. You all know, what chance is for that here.

So I don't think, anyone can put you in jail, because you came in the country, that do not demand visa or return ticket. Also non of the airliners presented any info, except classic jibrish that you need papers in order.

8 years you probably get, if you kidnap a plane as well as present fake return ticket...

8 years you probably get, if you kidnap a plane as well as present fake return ticket...

Or you crash on the Stanley racecourse, and are remembered as heroes 45 years later: http://en.mercopress.com/2011/09/29/argentina-celebrates-45-years-of-the-condor-operation-landing-in-falklands

I realize I'm a little late in asking this question but as someone who has been here for 36 years I can't help but ask ,What interests you so much about Argentina that you would want to come here for an indefinite period of time given other options in Latin America that offer less hassle and more economic opportunities?

What interests you so much about Argentina that you would want to come here for an indefinite period of time given other options in Latin America that offer less hassle and more economic opportunities?

have sex with locals galore till he/she is satisfied.

I realize I'm a little late in asking this question but as someone who has been here for 36 years I can't help but ask ,What interests you so much about Argentina that you would want to come here for an indefinite period of time given other options in Latin America that offer less hassle and more economic opportunities?

Sadomasochistic tendencies?

If I were to pose a specific question, I would ask: What would you recommend I do in the way of visa considerations? I at first considered opting for the tourist visa waiver and then making a "run" here and there to Uruguay. Looking over some forum posts, I see that this isn't uncommon, but that it carries with it some risk with immigration.

If I were to provide a specific answer, I would say:

While you don't need to apply for a tourist visa prior to your arrival, you will need to pay the "reciprocity fee" on line before you leave the USA: http://www.argentinavisafees.com/

You can extend your 90 day tourist visa once at the office of migraciones in Buenos Aires. All you have to do is ask for the "prorroga de permanencia" (extension of stay) and pay $600 pesos. If you leave the country just before the extension expires, don't come back until it actually has expired (or you won't get a new 90 day visa). You will not, however, be able to extend the new visa at migraciones.

Keep in mind that going to Uruguay from here to there now and then (aka: every 90 days), just to get a new tourist visa is still being "tolerated" but it's time consuming, costs money, and doesn't really keep you legal...and it could come to a grinding halt at any time.

ElQueso is right about the fact that you won't be granted a visa which bestows temporary or permanent residency unless you qualify for one, but he did not include getting a "work visa" in his list. If you speak Spanish well enough you might be able to find work in Argentina. Just remember you have to find the job before you can get the work visa, and the company must get permission from migraciones to hire foreigners before the visa will be granted.

I suggest you just come with the idea of staying three to six months. That will give you plenty of time to decide what to do if you decide to stay after that. You don't have to worry about dire consequences if you stay longer than that without getting residency, at least not yet.

I can't offer any too logical answer. I was only a teenager when, for some reason or another, I first experienced an interest. I more or less randomly ended up doing some school projects in Spanish class concerning Argentina, and in my college years came upon Cortázar and felt some kind of kinship. I studied in Mexico during one of these years and took a tango class and listened to interviews with Argentine personalities, deciding that I rather liked the accent and that, being as it was/is within my capacity to develop my Spanish to a considerably high degree, I might like to adopt the Argentine cadence and intonation as my own.

I've never been to Argentina, and maybe when I arrive I'll decide to the contrary, but something about it feels like home. I don't think I'm under any heavy romantic illusions here, but heck, there's only one way to know.

Back