Getting A Dog

La coqueta she is lovely and I was not talking about your dog . I just find that some people get small dogs, not only here, as they do not do damage and do not need controlling , more like a cuddly toy that moves. I understand that people want and should want dogs that fit into their living space and a variety of many other valid reasons
Persoanlly I just prefer big dogs .
I was looking for a Great Pyrenees, as I liked the idea of an independently thinkingg dog. In the end I got the latter by accident in a stray puppy that simply insisted she wanted to live with me. She is alpha ,knows everything better than me and to her mind her only job in life is protecting me. She is 6 know and only just calming down. She had a difficult past, being beaten as a pup which earned her a slightly deformed jaw. She has got a great personality at home, but outside I have to watch for her triggers. As a result she never goes off leash. She is good with dogs that have a calm "aura" , but not excited types . So if you arrange the doggie picnic we will come , she will behave, but she won't be able to go off leash.

Thomas, that is so my experience as well. I don't think that it is off topic as it prepares the new owners for what to expect.

I havent had a dog for years. I´d like to have a border collie.

Supposed to be the most intelligent breed on earth (quite relative indeed, but from those I saw, they are damn smart dogs). Likely all the true sheperds are the most 'intelligent' (in the human understanding).

Supposed to be the most intelligent breed on earth (quite relative indeed, but from those I saw, they are damn smart dogs). Likely all the true sheperds are the most 'intelligent' (in the human understanding).
Thanks for the info. I´ll name him/her after you.

Great that you all know your breeds. It's generally a decent predictor of an animals personality all other things being equal. But please remember most sporting/hunting/wrking breeds such as retrievers, shepards, hounds and some terriers need to run and can exhibit behavior problems if kept in apartments without significant daily exercise! Choose your breed based on a good fit of their needs and yours. Not just because you like the way they look. Of course Pomeranians are the exception....

Great that you all know your breeds. It's generally a decent predictor of an animals personality all other things being equal. But please remember most sporting/hunting/wrking breeds such as retrievers, shepards, hounds and some terriers need to run and can exhibit behavior problems if kept in apartments without significant daily exercise! Choose your breed based on a good fit of their needs and yours. Not just because you like the way they look. Of course Pomeranians are the exception....
That´s exactly the main problem of many dogs in BA. In smaller towns, it´s usually a bit better, but I wouldn´t keep such an energetic dog in a depressing appartment all day (which happens a lot there). I eventually want to move to a more rural place somewhere in Argentina. I have mostly had cats... maintaining them is way easier.

Aleina Dee's comment makes me think of one of the things that really bothers me (sorry slightly off-topic and I am not saying this is the case with anyone here but nevertheless);
Snip

Since there aren't really any proper puppy classes here (I am in the north), whenever somebody I know gets a new dog I have them come to boot camp at my house for the basics, not from me - train your own dogs, but from my dogs :)

I got my Pit Bull / Shepherd off the street from two homeless guys in San Diego. Paid their bus fare to LA, walked home with my pup. He was about 14 weeks old. After neutering and shots got him in kindergarten. He was always dominant and I worked A LOT with him to chill. My dog trainer invited my pup to his house for a week of boot camp. He had a number of dogs but the king was a Doberman. We let my pup out with the group and the Doberman came right over to him. My pup tried his dominance routine and the Doberman slapped him a couple of times. Finally, my pup just sat down. I never had a dominance problem with him after that.

I'm now looking for a wife boot camp to work on her dominance problem. :)

We adopted our two dogs from Mascotas en Adopcion - every saturday they are located at Parque Las Heras from 3-6pm (corner of Av Coronel Diaz and Las Heras). We donated $100 pesos for each and they were fully vaccinated and our 1 yr old was fixed. They have puppies and older dogs and do not require payment, only donations. We are very very happy with this organization and they are really caring people.
Their website is www.mascotasenadopcion.com and they have a Facebook page as well. There are so many stray dogs in the streets here. Our older dog (he's going to be 4) is part dalmation and our "puppy" is part German shepherd. Best of luck!

I didnt know. I got my cat that way, back in the 90s, and it was a nice, smart and loyal cat. Cost: 5 pesos.

Back