Getting electronics in at EZE

AlexanderB

Registered
When I come back, I am going to need to bring in a quantity of personal electronics. A mere laptop won't do; I need to bring a large monitor and related accessories, and those aren't cheap. I wish I could say that it'd all fit in a carry-on bag, but it won't.

From what I've read here, the wisest and most cost-effective thing to do is to bring a few suitcases; yeah, you pay the extra bag fees, but it ends up being a lot cheaper. Fair enough.

I'm not worried about the baggage getting there, but I've heard just enough about theft at EZE to make me wonder what the best precautions to take are. My first instinct would be to use hardened suitcases and shrinkwrap them, making them a pain to open. However, that could make any encounter with customs in which they want to inspect the bag considerably more complicated and possibly unfriendly.

So, what's the optimal intersection of paranoia and pragmatism?

In my opinion, if you're going to buy mid-range or lower gear you will be better off buying it down here. For example, the prices for 23" LED monitors are only 25% more expensive down here. I've found that prices for cameras, computer parts, and a lot of other electronics are often only 25-50% more than in the US. Its the high-end stuff that tends to be 100-150% more than in the US. Hauling your own stuff in checked luggage has more risks than theft at EZE: theft by TSA and baggage handlers throughout the US is a significant issue; damage of electronics is usually not covered by the airlines even if its clearly their fault; and you may get hit by the 50% customs duty at EZE.

If you're set on doing it bring enough cash to pay the 50% customs, bring proof-of-purchase, pack in hard-sided cases or cardboard and seal as best you can with tape, TSA-approved locks, and/or plastic wrap applied at the airport. Obviously you need to open the cases and verify that nothing was stolen when you pull them off the belt at EZE, and if anything is wrong good luck dealing with your airline:)

AlexanderB said:
When I come back, I am going to need to bring in a quantity of personal electronics. A mere laptop won't do; I need to bring a large monitor and related accessories, and those aren't cheap. I wish I could say that it'd all fit in a carry-on bag, but it won't.

From what I've read here, the wisest and most cost-effective thing to do is to bring a few suitcases; yeah, you pay the extra bag fees, but it ends up being a lot cheaper. Fair enough.

I'm not worried about the baggage getting there, but I've heard just enough about theft at EZE to make me wonder what the best precautions to take are. My first instinct would be to use hardened suitcases and shrinkwrap them, making them a pain to open. However, that could make any encounter with customs in which they want to inspect the bag considerably more complicated and possibly unfriendly.

So, what's the optimal intersection of paranoia and pragmatism?

Just came in through Ezeiza in January with 4 computers, a TV, smartphones etc. Just locked my suitcases. Got held up at immigration for 3 hours (long story). When I got to my bags, they were nicely arranged off the belt. Not a single thing missing.

If you want to be really careful then just do the shrinkwrap thing as an added precaution and keep your most important electronics in your carry on.

Can't do much else, I'm afraid.

nicoenarg, I would be curious to know why you got held up at immigration for 3 hours, if it's not a secret.

Thanks for the advice, Kurt. I am aware of the risks of baggage loss or damage in handling or in flight, and understand that there's a non-zero possibility of theft on both sides, and so I take the risk with that in mind. The things I absolutely cannot afford to lose will, of course, be in my carry-on. I was just curious what other people typically do.

I hear what you're saying about the benefits of buying these items locally; I'll weigh that. However, I was thinking of bringing in some custom-built stuff that would be hard, if not impossible, to get locally. I also have both a 27" and a 30" monitor, one of which I'd like to bring. I haven't decided which. The nature of the technology in 30" panels is such that they're 3-4x more expensive than 27" panels, but a lot more useful for what I do. But yes, it'd probably be dumb to lose a 30" panel or have it broken. On the other hand, if I end up staying for a long time, I'd like to have it.

With regards to the custom duty, I've read previous discussions on this forum about it. As far as I can tell, as long as it's used, obviously personal stuff, not in new packaging, I shouldn't, de facto, have to pay customs duties on it or even declare it. Am I wrong?

AlexanderB said:
nicoenarg, I would be curious to know why you got held up at immigration for 3 hours, if it's not a secret.

I came in on one of those permanent visas that you get because you're married to an Argentine. I don't know what its called but its something like subcategoria 22 or something?

Anyway, the Embassy of Argentina in Abu Dhabi (I moved here from Dubai) made mistakes on my visa (it was their first time ever issuing this visa). When the dude at the immigration saw it, he almost fainted and said it was going to take an hour to fix the problem. Three hours plus later I was permitted to enter the country.

That's the short version.

It was their first time issuing a residency visa that would correspond to marriage to an Argentine? :) Or just that particular species of visa?

AlexanderB said:
It was their first time issuing a residency visa that would correspond to marriage to an Argentine? :) Or just that particular species of visa?

Lol. They just said "This is our first subcategoria 22 visa."

My visa has a beautiful 01/2011 (first visa of the type issued at the Argentine Embassy in Abu Dhabi, and I got it in 2011).

I used to drag my trading computer in and out of BA all the time. 3 PCs, 10 monitors, printer, and all the accessories (I used to bring 5 boxes full). I never had any issues other than customs asking me what they were for and whether or not I'm going to be taking them out of the country when I leave. 0 issues.

Horrible advice telling him to buy whatever down in BA where he'll spend twice the cost of one from the US. And even then, you'll be buying crap.

Bring your stuff from the US bro, and tell them you're taking it with you when you leave. You'll be fine.

gsi16386 said:
I used to drag my trading computer in and out of BA all the time. 3 PCs, 10 monitors, printer, and all the accessories (I used to bring 5 boxes full). I never had any issues other than customs asking me what they were for and whether or not I'm going to be taking them out of the country when I leave. 0 issues.

Horrible advice telling him to buy whatever down in BA where he'll spend twice the cost of one from the US. And even then, you'll be buying crap.

Bring your stuff from the US bro, and tell them you're taking it with you when you leave. You'll be fine.

GSI, are you a day trader?

Back